Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
San Diego isn't going to sign him so he's a free agent. I guess it all depends on if someone wants him for a year or two to help bridge the gap for a rookie.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/charge...era-say-hell-enter-free-agency-180502144.html

Could be the end of the road for Rivers. He looked finished this last year.

I think the Chargers should look into acquiring Cam Newton if they don't think their guy is in this draft. Big splashy move for a team that needs something to get some attention in that market.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

No surprise there. It does all but guarantee that Teddy Bridgewater won't be back in New Orleans. I'm thinking bridge starter for a team in transition like the Colts, Chargers, or Bucs. Maybe the Pats in the unlikely event that Brady moves on.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28726662/joe-burrow-says-bengals-no-1-draft-pick-leverage

The rumor that Joe Burrow does not want the Bengals to take him first overall is picking up a little steam. Kind of crazy. If the Dolphins wanted to move up to get him nobody would be able to outbid them. Or if the Bengals simply pass on him and take Chase Young or Tua instead that would throw the draft into chaos right off the bat. Could be a lot of movement at the top of the draft if Burrow really is trying to force his way out of getting drafted by Cincy.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm a 'phin fan, and I really don't want them to take Tua. Don't get me wrong about his abilities as a QB, it's the durability that you need to question.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I'm a 'phin fan, and I really don't want them to take Tua. Don't get me wrong about his abilities as a QB, it's the durability that you need to question.

If you were GM, would you take Tua at 5 or trade your 3 (it might only take your 2 highest) first rounders to move up and take Burrow?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If you were GM, would you take Tua at 5 or trade your 3 (it might only take your 2 highest) first rounders to move up and take Burrow?

I would take my first 2 highest. But then again they have stockpiled a lot of picks so who knows what is possible.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I guess trust the scouting, and if the Fins believe Burrow is the guy then go for it. But it's not like they're one player away from contention, and they could entertain the idea of building up the rest of the roster first with their cache of picks. If they can't protect a young QB or provide him with weapons then what's the point? I think it makes the most sense for them to stay put and take either Tua or Herbert at five if they really like either one and then use their other picks to help out the new guy.

Here's a question - if Burrow makes it clear that he won't play for the Bengals and they just take Chase Young or another non-QB first overall then how far does Burrow drop? Is it possible he falls to five in that event? After the Bengals you have the Redskins, Lions and Giants - all of whom either have an established QB or are invested in a young starter.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Yeah. If it wasn't for the injury concerns he'd be the best QB prospect in this class IMO. But the lower body injuries bother me. If he can't hold up against college competition and he doesn't change his style of play to protect himself then I don't know how he survives in the NFL. That said, I'd do cartwheels if he fell to the Colts at 13. But that's really, really unlikely.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...dy-be-getting-plenty-of-free-agency-interest/

Brady reportedly thinking about having teams come to him for FA meetings. Seems like a not-so-smart idea. It's a power play, sure. But wouldn't want to see where you might be working? It's stuff like this that makes me think that neither Brady nor NE is all that serious about moving on. I'm thinking they get a deal hammered out and make one more run at it.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I guess trust the scouting, and if the Fins believe Burrow is the guy then go for it. But it's not like they're one player away from contention, and they could entertain the idea of building up the rest of the roster first with their cache of picks. If they can't protect a young QB or provide him with weapons then what's the point? I think it makes the most sense for them to stay put and take either Tua or Herbert at five if they really like either one and then use their other picks to help out the new guy.

Here's a question - if Burrow makes it clear that he won't play for the Bengals and they just take Chase Young or another non-QB first overall then how far does Burrow drop? Is it possible he falls to five in that event? After the Bengals you have the Redskins, Lions and Giants - all of whom either have an established QB or are invested in a young starter.

I would guess if Burrow makes it clear he won't play for the Bengals, they would either shop the pick around or find out who wants Burrow, draft him at the top and trade him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would guess if Burrow makes it clear he won't play for the Bengals, they would either shop the pick around or find out who wants Burrow, draft him at the top and trade him.

After seeing the impact Nick Bosa had for the Niners this year, I wonder if any teams in win-now mode might try to jump up to #1 overall for a chance to draft Chase Young. I think he's the clear-cut best player in the draft regardless of position. For a team who knows their window to contend is open right now it might make sense to mortgage the future and go all-in on the next season or two.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
After seeing the impact Nick Bosa had for the Niners this year, I wonder if any teams in win-now mode might try to jump up to #1 overall for a chance to draft Chase Young. I think he's the clear-cut best player in the draft regardless of position. For a team who knows their window to contend is open right now it might make sense to mortgage the future and go all-in on the next season or two.

As I do not disagree with your assessment, a team who has a window to contend now is not likely to have as high draft picks to offer for trade as a team who is desperate for a quarterback. QB is still the most important position on a football team, and teams have shown over and again they are willing to reach for "the next star QB." If Cincinnati is smart, I know that's a huge assumption, they will get as much as they can for that top pick to benefit them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron