We have a chance to beat Texas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We have to, have to, have to remember to pound it inside. If we do that, and defend better, I think you're right.

If its to Solo or George great but no more of MJ on the block, he is plenty big and strong but the dude goes up weak every time. He fades on every shot, even when he's got a smaller player on him. He's had an odd regression, especially considering he regularly has a size advantage on the guy guarding him.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If its to Solo or George great but no more of MJ on the block, he is plenty big and strong but the dude goes up weak every time. He fades on every shot, even when he's got a smaller player on him. He's had an odd regression, especially considering he regularly has a size advantage on the guy guarding him.

He thinks he is a finesse player when he is really a power player.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We have to, have to, have to remember to pound it inside. If we do that, and defend better, I think you're right.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ball movement against OU. It's almost like they were running a real offense rather than letting TH run the show. Hopefully, that starts to turn into made baskets before the season ends.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I was pleasantly surprised by the ball movement against OU. It's almost like they were running a real offense rather than letting TH run the show. Hopefully, that starts to turn into made baskets before the season ends.
The offense wasn't even so much what costed us that game, it was defense and turning the ball over constantly. They flowed alright and actually shot fairly well for most of that game, they were just too reckless in other areas to win.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
He thinks he is a finesse player when he is really a power player.

Yes.
He's a short 5, but wants to be a 4 so he can play at the next level, but I don't think that's realistic. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Unfortunately, I think the staff has been complicit and trying to coach him into being something he's not.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yes.
He's a short 5, but wants to be a 4 so he can play at the next level, but I don't think that's realistic. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Unfortunately, I think the staff has been complicit and trying to coach him into being something he's not.

I think part of the problem is that the coaches don't have someone that can play the small ball 4 that they want because Griffin didn't advance enough during the offseason so they either were going to have to go extremely small with Jackson, Nixon, Bolton all in the lineup at once or play Jacobson at the 4. I don't think it is ideal either way but it is what they have to work with.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
I think part of the problem is that the coaches don't have someone that can play the small ball 4 that they want because Griffin didn't advance enough during the offseason so they either were going to have to go extremely small with Jackson, Nixon, Bolton all in the lineup at once or play Jacobson at the 4. I don't think it is ideal either way but it is what they have to work with.

What is holding Griffin back? He just kind of disappears on court, not actively bad, but not contributing much on either end it seems

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If Sims is indeed out then Texas is down to 6-7 scholarship players. They lost Febres and another player for an extended period of time when they were injured against Tech.
I think Iowa State gets this win as Texas will be extremely limited offensively and 60-65 points should be enough to get a W.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
I cringe every time MJ jacks up a 3. When was the last time he made one?

Nixon broke his bad streak at Oklahoma, but I still don't think he is a threat from 3.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I cringe every time MJ jacks up a 3. When was the last time he made one?

Nixon broke his bad streak at Oklahoma, but I still don't think he is a threat from 3.
He went 1 for 1 in the OU game. He has gone 0-8 in the 9 games since. Up to that point he was 10 of 30 (.300) on the season.