Stats under Prohm

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
Like everyone else, I've been unbelievably frustrated watching ISU basketball this season. I went back into the stats since Prohm took over Cyclone basketball to look at any trends. To keep everything as consistent as possible, I strictly looked at regular season conference play. I'm not a statistician by any means, but since I took the time to look at the data myself, figured I'd share it on here. Do with it how you'd like.

Conference Record:
2015-16: (10-8)
2016-17: (12-6)
2017-18: (4-14)
2018-19: (9-9)
2019-20: (3-8) **7 conference games remain

Home Record:
2015-16: (7-2)
2016-17: (7-2)
2017-18: (4-5)
2018-19: (5-4)
2019-20: (3-2) **4 home games remain

Average PPG:
2015-16: 80.4
2016-17: 78.2
2017-18: 73.2
2018-19: 73.8
2019-20: 65.9 **7 conference games remain

Average Pt Difference on Conference Wins (Losses)
2015-16: 10.2pts (5.75pts)
2016-17: 7pts (6.5pts)
2017-18: 13pts (12.4pts)
2018-19: 11.3pts (5pts)
2019-20: 10pts (15.75pts) **7 conference games remain

Biggest Win (Biggest Loss)
2015-16: 19pts (10pts)
2016-17: 16pts (13pts)
2017-18: 18pts (23pts)
2018-19: 25pts (17pts)
2019-20: 13pts (29 pts) **7 conference games remain

Double Digit Wins (Losses)
2015-16: 5 (1)
2016-17: 3 (2)
2017-18: 3 (8)
2018-19: 5 (2)
2019-20: 2 (6) **7 conference games remain

Wins by 15+ pts (losses by 15+ pts)
2015-16: 1 (0)
2016-17: 1 (0)
2017-18: 2 (6)
2018-19: 2 (2)
2019-20: 0 (4) **7 conference games remain

Record Against Conference Opponents:
Baylor: 2-8
Kansas: 3-6
K-State: 6-3
Oklahoma: 7-3
Oklahoma State: 7-2
TCU: 3-6
Texas: 3-6
Texas Tech: 5-4
West Virginia: 2-7
Overall: 38-45 (45.8%)

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Sobering. Not sure how I feel about them. They aren’t good stats but nothing is going to happen to him this year even if we lose out so there isn’t any point letting the numbers get me pissed off.

appreciate the research though. As sucky as the findings are.

Reactions: CyBobby

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Simply put, things are not trending the right way.
If the wheels fall completely off for the rest of the season I hope Prohm doesn't get a free-pass on the season just because Haliburton got shut down with about 1/4 of the year left.

When you consider his first 2 seasons were with Hoibergs players, it is even more alarming. Think about how much depth we had when Niang broke his foot and we were still able to beat a great North Carolina team in a tournament game. This roster has ZERO depth, and that is one of the most concerning parts.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Simply put, things are not trending the right way.
If the wheels fall completely off for the rest of the season I hope Prohm doesn't get a free-pass on the season just because Haliburton got shut down with about 1/4 of the year left.
How does anyone fit a trend line to that? We were good for 2 years, bad for 1, good for 1, now bad for 1. If next year sucks again, I'll buy into the "trend".

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
When you consider his first 2 seasons were with Hoibergs players, it is even more alarming. Think about how much depth we had when Niang broke his foot and we were still able to beat a great North Carolina team in a tournament game. This roster has ZERO depth, and that is one of the most concerning parts.
We had depth against North Carolina? Didn't we start Daniel Edozie? We probably only played 7 players in that game. Fred's teams were never deep, but had a tremendous top 5-6. Depth isn't the issue right now, it's overall roster talent, especially at the guard positions. That is amplified by Haliburton being out.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Even with a downward trend imho...Prohm will be back for two more years of average basketball ...bottom half at least in conference play.

The guys doing the Okie State game said that they had recruited the Number One Point Guard in the country ...His brother is an assistant on the OSU staff....

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We had depth against North Carolina? Didn't we start Daniel Edozie? We probably only played 7 players in that game. Fred's teams were never deep, but had a tremendous top 5-6. Depth isn't the issue right now, it's overall roster talent, especially at the guard positions. That is amplified by Haliburton being out.

Good memory!!
Screenshot_20200213-073404_ESPN.jpg

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Agree, the problem is we probably have two Big 12 level starters in Young and Bolton that would be Good playing alongside a couple of stars. Most of our other guys are probably solid rotation guys on a good team, but not starter quality or even 20 min off the bench type of guys. Basically everybody is playing a role that's probably a notch higher than their talent suggests.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Fred's last season had depth and that may have actually caused some issues.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Agree, the problem is we probably have two Big 12 level starters in Young and Bolton that would be Good playing alongside a couple of stars. Most of our other guys are probably solid rotation guys on a good team, but not starter quality or even 20 min off the bench type of guys. Basically everybody is playing a role that's probably a notch higher than their talent suggests.

I think you are selling Griffin, Jackson, and Grill way short. They all have a ton of potential but the game is just a little too fast for them right now. Development is going to be key for next year that's for sure. IMO whats killing this team is the lack of upperclassmen and at this point Young is our only contributor. Watching MJ this year has been extremely painful and Nixon has been a complete bust. Losing those two will be addition by subtraction. Ya'll need to take a deep breath and chill. I get it, it's not fun to watch but hopefully our guys are taking their lumps this year and it helps their games grow.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Agreed, he usually only played 7 guys. Maybe would play 8 if he had to.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think you are selling Griffin, Jackson, and Grill way short. They all have a ton of potential but the game is just a little too fast for them right now. Development is going to be key for next year that's for sure. IMO whats killing this team is the lack of upperclassmen and at this point Young is our only contributor. Watching MJ this year has been extremely painful and Nixon has been a complete bust. Losing those two will be addition by subtraction. Ya'll need to take a deep breath and chill. I get it, it's not fun to watch but hopefully our guys are taking their lumps this year and it helps their games grow.

I only meant this year. I think all the underclassmen on the team can develop into a higher role but for a lot of guys it takes time, and I think they are in roles that are all a bit over their heads right now. The three you mentioned plus Conditt seem to me like guys that are going to be good Jrs. and Srs. I just don't think they are ready to play huge minutes and be successful with consistency, and that's the way it is for a lot of guys. I'm probably more high on Grill than most here. He's got a long way to go, but he's also an athlete that played multiple sports and hasn't played nearly as much basketball as most freshman coming in. Jackson's shot has come along, but I think he's another full season away from being a full-time PG. He just struggles with ball pressure both with the dribble and passing. Griffin and Conditt are still pretty raw, but their length and athleticism gives them high ceilings.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
How does anyone fit a trend line to that? We were good for 2 years, bad for 1, good for 1, now bad for 1. If next year sucks again, I'll buy into the "trend".

I agree that a statistical trend line would not be valuable for anything with only 5 points of data.

So here is a chart and trend line with 97 data points - Our AP rank every week under Coach Prohm. I took the liberty of assuming we will not be ranked in the top 25 at any point during the rest of the season.
The Y axis is Iowa State's AP rank and the X axis is the "Year-Week" of that rank.

ISU Mens Basketball Rankings Under Prohm.png

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree that a statistical trend line would not be valuable for anything with only 5 points of data.

So here is a chart and trend line with 97 data points - Our AP rank every week under Coach Prohm. I took the liberty of assuming we will not be ranked in the top 25 at any point during the rest of the season.
The Y axis is Iowa State's AP rank and the X axis is the "Year-Week" of that rank.

View attachment 70182

Well **** he has a linear regression we're screwed now.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
I know this doesn't justify recent performance, but having players leave early has not helped Prohm, which is something that Fred never really had to deal with. Having Wigginton or THT back this year would have made a world of difference. Just something to consider while we sharpen our pitch forks.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
The turnovers we had last night were inexcusable. All we had to do was hold the ball for the last shot and the worst that would happen is be down 1 at half. But instead we commit a horrible TO which turned into a 3 by OK. Then 3 straight horrible TO's to start the 2nd half and it's basically game over. Guys are not in sync with each other and they just lack basic teamwork, hustle and toughness... IMO. They say a team takes on their coaches personality. Prohm seems like a really nice and decent guy and it seems like the team is playing like that. They gotta be aggressive and mean and just get after it. OK had some awesome passes to guys breaking to the basket for wide open looks. Totally out played us last night. IMO, TH would not have made much difference in the game. We've looked like this most of the season.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I know this doesn't justify recent performance, but having players leave early has not helped Prohm, which is something that Fred never really had to deal with. Having Wigginton or THT back this year would have made a world of difference. Just something to consider while we sharpen our pitch forks.
Royce left after one year with two years of eligibility remaining.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The turnovers we had last night were inexcusable. All we had to do was hold the ball for the last shot and the worst that would happen is be down 1 at half. But instead we commit a horrible TO which turned into a 3 by OK. Then 3 straight horrible TO's to start the 2nd half and it's basically game over. Guys are not in sync with each other and they just lack basic teamwork, hustle and toughness... IMO. They say a team takes on their coaches personality. Prohm seems like a really nice and decent guy and it seems like the team is playing like that. They gotta be aggressive and mean and just get after it. OK had some awesome passes to guys breaking to the basket for wide open looks. Totally out played us last night. IMO, TH would not have made much difference in the game. We've looked like this most of the season.
That was a turnover trying to make something happen after letting the clock run down to under 10 seconds. They were trying to make a play to take the lead going into the half on the last shot of the half. I don't fault them for that. What was ****** up on that play was the guy who was supposed to receive that pass ran into his screener rather than running around him just as the pass was thrown where he should have been going. Anyone who blames that on the plan or the passer missed what actually happened.

There were plenty of other turnovers in that game to get mad at the player throwing it long before that one.

Also, you complain about turnovers saying they lost the game and then say that they guy who last I knew led the league in A/TO ratio wouldn't have made a difference in the game?