Stats under Prohm

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
No posts since 10:39 a.m. on 2/15? Must be waiting for KU game results since Texas supplied no ammunition.

I like stats, too. Some are: ISU Big 12 conference all-time win % thru 2019 season - 47%, all games since in Big 12 - 51%. Prohm Big 12 - 46% during time when someone posted that Big 12 considered best conference every year since Prohm has been here, 61% all games under Prohm. Not using current season as I believe that is disingenuous until complete. That was used earlier to put a poor light on total stats. There'll be enough time at the end of the season to roll those in. Stats based on wikipedia data.

ISU total Big 12 tourney champs - 5, total under 4 years Prohm - 2. Total NCAA appearances - 20, under Prohm - 3 years out of 4. Big 12 teams with more total NCAA appearances -6.

Not sure that this set of stats or the opening ones prove much of anything except, to me, they tend to show Prohm's teams have performed at the norm for ISU in Big 12, in some ways better.

Ultimately winning and NCAA appearances will tell the tale, but those who say Pollard will not do anything for at least a couple years are correct - he will factor context when judging how well the program is progressing.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
No posts since 10:39 a.m. on 2/15? Must be waiting for KU game results since Texas supplied no ammunition.

I like stats, too. Some are: ISU Big 12 conference all-time win % thru 2019 season - 47%, all games since in Big 12 - 51%. Prohm Big 12 - 46% during time when someone posted that Big 12 considered best conference every year since Prohm has been here, 61% all games under Prohm. Not using current season as I believe that is disingenuous until complete. That was used earlier to put a poor light on total stats. There'll be enough time at the end of the season to roll those in. Stats based on wikipedia data.

ISU total Big 12 tourney champs - 5, total under 4 years Prohm - 2. Total NCAA appearances - 20, under Prohm - 3 years out of 4. Big 12 teams with more total NCAA appearances -6.

Not sure that this set of stats or the opening ones prove much of anything except, to me, they tend to show Prohm's teams have performed at the norm for ISU in Big 12, in some ways better.

Ultimately winning and NCAA appearances will tell the tale, but those who say Pollard will not do anything for at least a couple years are correct - he will factor context when judging how well the program is progressing.
I don't think anyone is denying that we historically aren't that great. Some people seem content to stay that way. Fred turned this program around and into something great. Under Steve it seems to be trending back to us just being an okay program. Yesterday was great. We beat up on a ****** Texas team who is also missing their best player. And had a career day from a player who had been having career low season. Good for him. Good for us. Great game by Jacobson.

However, one home game vs a crap team likely isn't going to change us into an NIT team, but glad to see us fight still.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't think anyone is denying that we historically aren't that great. Some people seem content to stay that way. Fred turned this program around and into something great. Under Steve it seems to be trending back to us just being an okay program. Yesterday was great. We beat up on a ****** Texas team who is also missing their best player. And had a career day from a player who had been having career low season. Good for him. Good for us. Great game by Jacobson.

However, one home game vs a crap team likely isn't going to change us into an NIT team, but glad to see us fight still.
That's what happens when your lightning in a bottle coach leaves. Now everyone has learned from his success and that model is less obtainable here. I have no idea if Prohm will be successful but I do know Fred couldn't just walk in and change what's beyond his control. MBB is changing.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Not looking forward to next year's "you have to give a pass, because the team is so young" mantra. With so many unknowns, I struggle to see 2020-2021 being better than 2019-2020.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I gotta ask, in football, would you be okay with Campbell winning 5 games every year? Never making a bowl game. That winning just 5 games a year would be acceptable and that no fan would have any right to think that wasn't getting it done? That winning 5 games a year would make him a good coach that had things going in the right direction? I'm assuming so since historically, we win about 45% of our games. I mean, there is no reason to ever expect the program to improve just because we have more talent, money and exposure for the program that ever before.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
I gotta ask, in football, would you be okay with Campbell winning 5 games every year? Never making a bowl game. That winning just 5 games a year would be acceptable and that no fan would have any right to think that wasn't getting it done? That winning 5 games a year would make him a good coach that had things going in the right direction? I'm assuming so since historically, we win about 45% of our games. I mean, there is no reason to ever expect the program to improve just because we have more talent, money and exposure for the program that ever before.

I get that we cherry pick stats and facts to support our points of view. I think comparing what's acceptable in football under coach Campbell to Big 12 era stats for ISU is a far reach. To suggest that Prohm hasn't taken us to any "bowl games" is false, as his coaching has won 2 Big 12 championships vs. Campbell not getting to a championship game, yet. Prohm has coached 3 ISU teams to the NCAA tourney while some of the football teams have finished in the top 25-30. One could argue that the football team is trending in the wrong direction with its late season losses and apparent under-performance to expectations. I'm not making that argument, but I can see the possibility of others doing it. My point was that I do not believe that Prohm's record is near as dismal as some would have us believe; that he came here as a successful coach who still had things to learn; that if he has not replicated the surprise success of Fred, he has still brought some great success to ISU; and that he is not going to be treated to a quick hook so ISU can try to attract the San Diego State coach.