Haliburton NBA

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I love Tyrese and absolutely think he should go if his stock remains so high...

But what on earth are these scouts watching? There are ZERO NBA- ready guys on this roster. If Tyrese is only as good as the sum of the teams parts, that's fine, he'll be solid on an NBA team... but is that seriously what NBA teams are looking for in picks 1-13?

He isn't good enough to be a game changer, clearly enough, and I'd think that's what teams with lottery picks are looking for

If you follow the draft guys are getting drafted more on potential these days than someone who is ready to come in right away and be a star for the team. It used to be college juniors and seniors were the known commodities NBA teams were interested in but these 1 or 2 and done guys even if they can't help you right away they'll stash them on the bench or G league for a couple years and develop them. If they ever open it back up to HS again it could get even crazier.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I remember back when Fizer was tearing it up we were chanting "1 more year" at the end of the last home game. ISU would have probably been preseason #1 had he came back for his senior year and being in college at the time I couldn't help to think why would you pass up a chance at a national title and probably front runner to be national player of the year when the NBA will likely be there next year and you'll still be a lotto pick. Well he was the #4 overall pick that year and over the years I now get why guys leave early because that is life changing money.

He also blew out his knee in 2003 and was never really the same afterwords. So if he would have stayed in college anther year you would have to erase that first year off of his earnings. Of course, if he would have hurt his knee in college he would have not made any of this cash.

SEASON TEAM SALARY
2004/05 Milwaukee Bucks $735,960 ($993,732*)
2003/04 Chicago Bulls $3,726,994 ($5,196,752*)
2002/03 Chicago Bulls $2,946,240 ($4,194,879*)
2001/02 Chicago Bulls $2,754,120 ($3,963,194*)
2000/01 Chicago Bulls $2,562,000 ($3,806,487*)
Total $12,725,314 ($18,155,044*)

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Bolton has been pretty much a knock down shooter the last month or so. The problem is that now defenses don't give him open looks either such that we end up with our third or fourth best 3P shooting options having to shoot the three, and they are very poor options.
Bolton's emergence has been lost in the shuffle with the team's struggles. He has been really good and really consistent scoring/shooting since conference play started. It's not often players get better when we get into Big 12 play. It's usually a good sign when they do.

He's shooting well now, can get to the basket better than anyone on the team and draws a lot of fouls. He has a chance to be a great player the next 2 years.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Bolton's emergence has been lost in the shuffle with the team's struggles. He has been really good and really consistent scoring/shooting since conference play started. It's not often players get better when we get into Big 12 play. It's usually a good sign when they do.

He's shooting well now, can get to the basket better than anyone on the team and draws a lot of fouls. He has a chance to be a great player the next 2 years.

In the Big 12 only --

upload_2020-2-7_11-54-18.png

Haliburton = first-team AC
Bolton = might not get it, but deserves like third-team or HM
Young = okay starter/solid bench guy
Everybody else = bad bench guy to scrub range
Grill = not his year so far

Haliburton and Bolton have been marvelous, and Young deserves at least a place in the rotation. But we've really only had three Big 12 level players so far.

We are not good because the players are just not very good.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Might be a fun, albeit next to absolute crazy rabbit hole to crawl down here, but what if Haliburton does come back next year? Is this an NCAA Tournament team WITH him next year?

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I just wish Halliburton would flip a switch and stop passing quite as much. I really think he could be a Ja Morant type player, but he needs to take 5-8 more shots per game. I have seen so many times where he appears to give up a layup for what is an uncontested 3, but from a player who can't shoot. I would way rather he just take the layup and maybe draw a foul.

Otherwise he has been a real joy to watch. Glad he came to Iowa State.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I just wish Halliburton would flip a switch and stop passing quite as much. I really think he could be a Ja Morant type player, but he needs to take 5-8 more shots per game. I have seen so many times where he appears to give up a layup for what is an uncontested 3, but from a player who can't shoot. I would way rather he just take the layup and maybe draw a foul.

Otherwise he has been a real joy to watch. Glad he came to Iowa State.

I understand what you are saying but Ja is 1000x more explosive than TH. TH struggles taking his man 1 on 1 to the rim.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I understand what you are saying but Ja is 1000x more explosive than TH. TH struggles taking his man 1 on 1 to the rim.

I'm not sure because he rarely tries. That is what i was hoping to see. But I agree, i think your right, but Tyrese needs to try. He is pretty amazing in full court transition 1v1. Just need to seem him try it in the half court.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Might be a fun, albeit next to absolute crazy rabbit hole to crawl down here, but what if Haliburton does come back next year? Is this an NCAA Tournament team WITH him next year?
With the recruits coming in, I would say we'd make the tournament next year with Halliburton coming back. I don't think that's a hot take either, considering Tyrese would be one of the best returning players in all of college basketball, we'd return 90% of the roster, and bring in a top 25 recruiting class.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Having parallel threads discussing 1) we need to fire our coach and we won't win 10 games this year and 2) if one guy on the current roster stays and we add four freshman (none of which are likely immediate high impact) we will be a tournament team, is internet sports forum discussions at their finest.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It will be without question the weakest NBA draft ever..ever.

that’s in part why TH is so high..

if TH were 6’2 with normal arm length he wouldn’t even be on scouts radar.

but he’s 6’5 ish with 7’ wingspan..

It’s gonna take TH 3-4 years imo to make impact in NBA.. Right now his ball skills aren’t even close to being nba ready.. ball handling I mean. He can’t get past his man right now a lot times. He’s an average ball handler at best imo.

he cannot create his own shot.. like at all. This alone has me surprised that he’s rated so highly..

go watch an nba game or two then come back and post how anyone thinks TH is remotely close to ready for nba..

unfortubately nba drafts in Top 30 a lot on potential which once again sucks for isu..

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
As for next year.. ISU will have half a new roster.. half. Btw many forget Javon Johnson is sitting out as well..

A team can go from .500 to winning a conf title in 1 year.. Just depends on how good incoming kids are.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
"IF" THT returns, for us to turn a corner and be a tournament team, we most badly need a few players who can actually shoot the ball still. That is our biggest weak link and until we fill that hole, its hard to get too optimistic for an NCAA tourney run. Maybe some of these new guys can shoot, maybe not.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
To an extent yes, but he also gets into the lane and rather than shoot a floater, contested lay-up, or even trying to draw a foul he kicks out. Or worse yet jumps and has nowhere to go with it.

He's not as explosive as Morant and he's not playing Ohio Valley defenders. But he also passes up good looks where even if he doesn't finish there's a good chance he gets fouled or draws a help defender where there's a good chance for an offensive board.

I'm not changing my stance from the first week of the season. Every possession in the half court absolutely needs to include Tyrese or Bolton with the ball in their hands trying to get in the lane. Everything shot needs to come off of that.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
"IF" THT returns, for us to turn a corner and be a tournament team, we most badly need a few players who can actually shoot the ball still. That is our biggest weak link and until we fill that hole, its hard to get too optimistic for an NCAA tourney run. Maybe some of these new guys can shoot, maybe not.

That'll take one hell of an NCAA petition.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
With the recruits coming in, I would say we'd make the tournament next year with Halliburton coming back. I don't think that's a hot take either, considering Tyrese would be one of the best returning players in all of college basketball, we'd return 90% of the roster, and bring in a top 25 recruiting class.

This doesn't excite me. At all.

If he comes back we are slightly improved but still aren't a tourney team. TH is an efficient player, not a "high impact" player, the rest of the team is blah, and the recruiting class probably won't make a huge immediate impact.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

If he comes back we are slightly improved but still aren't a tourney team. TH is an efficient player, not a "high impact" player, the rest of the team is blah, and the recruiting class probably won't make a huge immediate impact.
I fear you're right on this, which in turn makes me really dread the reality of next season, which does NOT include TH returning, a guy who on his own doesn't push us over the hump as it is.

Hopefully Johnson is a stud, but I don't have high expectations of that. Hopefully a couple freshman are ready to immediately be at worst role players. Hopefully whatever guys stay from this years team can develop a little shooting touch. It is ominous to say the least.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I wouldn't say the rest of the team is blah.. I'd probably only throw Zion in Lewis into that category.

Solo is solid and Conditt is only a sophomore who although is a work in progress, he has shown the ability to play at a high level.

Bolton struggled early but has turned into a tough guard on the offensive end. His 3 point shot is night and day better than it was to start the year as well. He's only a sophomore.

Tre Jackson looks like he's going to be a good shooter some day and he plays hard on the defensive end. Grill looks like he's just not ready and that's perfectly fine. Both are only sophomores and need time to develop.

The 4 guys coming in are all long and athletic and so is Javahn Johnson. I'm going to assume Xavier Foster makes an immediate impact and at least two of the 4 wings/guards make some sort of impact.

Add Halliburton in there and you have a very long and athletic team who could make some noise. Also, I'd disagree in saying that Halliburton isn't "high impact". He really is. He'd probably average almost a double double if his teammates could actually knock down shots and because of that, the defense is basically focusing on him. Halliburton has the ability to impact the game in a variety of ways and that's what makes him a high impact player and not simply just an efficient one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron