Can we put this to bed?

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Let’s think about this: Lard’s departure was one hundred percent on him. Had Wigginton stayed a year to try and improve his draft stock, our lineup would be Wigginton, Halliburton, Bolton, Lard, Young with Jacobson and Condit IV off the bench. That’s a team that could win 20+ games.

Since that didn’t happen, Prohm doesn’t have a very good roster, but he’s also lost and his lineups and rotations are worrisome. Cheering for us to lose is horrible, but being critical of the coach and teams abilities isn’t. Basketball is crumbling for us right now, and unless Foster and Blackwell are ready to be beasts right away, next year looks even worse. A lot of people think Prohm is lost out there and is putting us back in the cellar, so wanting a new coach doesn’t make people bad fans.

I will leave it at that and let the fanatics here interpret this however they would like. Nobody here wants Prohm to fail, but there is reason for some of us to think it’s going to happen. Thoughts?
So why did Wiggiton leave? Because Prohm benched him due to injury!!!!!! I would have left too. Prohm essentially made him leave. If he could have read the room and realized Haliburton wouldn't have minded coming off the bench, there is a pretty good chance Lindell would have come back, and we wouldn't be in this situation. But Prohm is stubborn, and lacks awareness. So here we are.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Let’s think about this: Lard’s departure was one hundred percent on him. Had Wigginton stayed a year to try and improve his draft stock, our lineup would be Wigginton, Halliburton, Bolton, Lard, Young with Jacobson and Condit IV off the bench. That’s a team that could win 20+ games.

Since that didn’t happen, Prohm doesn’t have a very good roster, but he’s also lost and his lineups and rotations are worrisome. Cheering for us to lose is horrible, but being critical of the coach and teams abilities isn’t. Basketball is crumbling for us right now, and unless Foster and Blackwell are ready to be beasts right away, next year looks even worse. A lot of people think Prohm is lost out there and is putting us back in the cellar, so wanting a new coach doesn’t make people bad fans.

I will leave it at that and let the fanatics here interpret this however they would like. Nobody here wants Prohm to fail, but there is reason for some of us to think it’s going to happen. Thoughts?

I think the lineup this year was a combination of unexpected departures and Prohm's evolving recruiting strategy. He wants to focus more on developmental 3-4 star guys that will stay in the program a few years rather than 1-2 year guys like THT/Lindell and transfers. That's not a bad strategy, but the abrupt transition left us with a lack of players who were ready to go this year. And frankly Prohm's inability to adjust has been exposed. He's still a young coach, if he can continue to improve or build the kind of roster we've had success with in the past I think he can find some success, but at least atm I don't think he is good enough to really make us more than what we were when he got here.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
I think the lineup this year was a combination of unexpected departures and Prohm's evolving recruiting strategy. He wants to focus more on developmental 3-4 star guys that will stay in the program a few years rather than 1-2 year guys like THT/Lindell and transfers. That's not a bad strategy, but the abrupt transition left us with a lack of players who were ready to go this year. And frankly Prohm's inability to adjust has been exposed. He's still a young coach, if he can continue to improve or build the kind of roster we've had success with in the past I think he can find some success, but at least atm I don't think he is good enough to really make us more than what we were when he got here.

"good enough to really make us more than what we were when he got here" What we were when he got here was a Top 25 team that finished top 4 in conference 4 years in a row and safely made the NCAA tourney every year. We are heading well below that trajectory.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019

what about Lewis? He is a 4 year player, but prohm has utterly failed to develop him

Last edited:

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
what about Lewis? He is a 4 year player, but prohm has utterly failed to develop him
Is that all on Prohm? Lewis is known to pout and not give full effort (even he’s admitted it in interviews), so maybe that’s why Lewis keeps getting benched. He’s a diva.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Is that all on Prohm? Lewis is known to pout and not give full effort (even he’s admitted it in interviews), so maybe that’s why Lewis keeps getting benched. He’s a diva.
Right, but I’m saying prohm has yet to recruit and develop a four-year shooter. He’s recruited some good players with potential that leave after a year or two, but no Matt Thomases or Naz longs.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So why did Wiggiton leave? Because Prohm benched him due to injury!!!!!! I would have left too. Prohm essentially made him leave. If he could have read the room and realized Haliburton wouldn't have minded coming off the bench, there is a pretty good chance Lindell would have come back, and we wouldn't be in this situation. But Prohm is stubborn, and lacks awareness. So here we are.

Wiggiton was going to leave no matter what, his goal was to get paid to play. After his first year he looked into the draft and after the eval, they said to come back, which he did. Playing more was not going to increase his draft spot, he realized that and left after the year. His not starting had nothing to do with him returning or not. He was not coming back either way.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Right, but I’m saying prohm has yet to recruit and develop a four-year shooter. He’s recruited some good players with potential that leave after a year or two, but no Matt Thomases or Naz longs.

So Prohm needs to be penalized for recruiting too good? You know, that's the fine line a non blue blood has to walk now. Recruit not good enough.......you suck. Recruit too good....always rebuilding. This isn't 20 years ago where the THT's and Wiggs stay four years no matter what. What was Prohm suppose to do....put a gun against their head?

So let's sum it up and put it to bed. He recruits bums.......fire him because he can't recruit. He recruits too good.....fire him because there is no stability. He has 23 wins......doesn't matter, those weren't his recruits and/or he underachieved. He wins conference tourney....who cares, that doesn't define a season. He goes to the sweet sixteen......doesn't matter anyone could have done that with that roster against those bums. Everyone straight.....sweet Greg, Fred and T.J. dreams.

• Winner
Reactions: Cloneon

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
So Prohm needs to be penalized for recruiting too good? You know, that's the fine line a non blue blood has to walk now. Recruit not good enough.......you suck. Recruit too good....always rebuilding. This isn't 20 years ago where the THT's and Wiggs stay four years no matter what. What was Prohm suppose to do....put a gun against their head?

So let's sum it up and put it to bed. He recruits bums.......fire him because he can't recruit. He recruits too good.....fire him because there is no stability. He has 23 wins......doesn't matter, those weren't his recruits and/or he underachieved. He wins conference tourney....that doesn't define a season. He goes to the sweet sixteen......doesn't matter anyone could have done that with that roster against those bums. Everyone straight.....sweet dreams.
I’m not saying he should be fired because he recruits “too well”. Yes, he recruited some good 1-2 year guys who left early. But he failed to recruit and develop even ONE 4 year shooter. And that is one of the reasons we are at the basement of the big 12 again.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

So let's sum it up and put it to bed. He recruits bums.......fire him because he can't recruit. He recruits too good.....fire him because there is no stability. He has 23 wins......doesn't matter, those weren't his recruits and/or he underachieved. He wins conference tourney....who cares, that doesn't define a season. He goes to the sweet sixteen......doesn't matter anyone could have done that with that roster against those bums. Everyone straight.....sweet Greg, Fred and T.J. dreams.

What's the most consistent aspect you like about CSP's program?

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
A lot of it was attitude problems. One of the games he was suspended for last year was because he showed up 45 minutes late to practice (presumably high on the green plant stuff that is legal in Illinois now), Steve told him to get on the line to run sprints, and he laughed and said "**** no" and walked out.
Well if that actually happened and he remained on the team then that explains much of what we see this season.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

This is a good post. Sometimes things just don't work out. It's probably a combination of many factors, including roster turnover, coaching, recruiting misses, etc. But there's no need to establish a definitive cause. It just isn't working.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

You act like this is a problem unique to Iowa State. There are mass departures everywhere. There were 86 guys who left college early for the draft last year. According to this Jeff Goodman article (https://watchstadium.com/comprehensive-list-of-college-basketball-players-transferring-12-29-2018/) there were around 875 transfers last year.

If you aren't planning for attrition you aren't doing your job. Every team is losing multiple players every year. "We had guys leave" just isn't a viable excuse any more.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

At the end of the day it may not be fair in every instance but it's Prohm's job to develop guys to help the team. In Lewis's case it doesn't seem to be game performance but it's Prohm's job, as he noted many times, to develop him off the court too. He hasn't done that.

I also ask at what point we draw the line between what we see in games and what we see elsewhere. I'm going to pick on Nixon. He's shown next to no discipline in shot selection and I just wonder how that's any different than whatever it is that's keeping Lewis away from the floor when Lewis has pretty much been at least good whenever he played. Last night, he comes in, makes what I think is a fine play even though he got called for an offensive foul and gets yanked right away. How many aggressive plays like that have we had with a guy finishing through contact this year? 5?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Wait, if Wiggington was still here Halliburton would come off the bench?

You haven't noticed our lack of players?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wait, if Wiggington was still here Hallibuton would come off the bench?

You haven't noticed our lack of players?

He was talking about last year. If Prohm had made the call to start Wigginton he thinks Haliburton would have moved to the bench and been ok with that role. I think the concept is Wigginton maybe would have come back this year had Prohm not burned that bridge by forcing him to the bench.

It's obviously alot of speculation, but I think that's the point he's trying to make.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I know it's not apples to apples, but Wigginton is still coming off the bench for the Wolves. Maybe he's just better in the offensive-spark-off-the-bench role.