This is why Prohm must go........

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm in no way saying it's time for Prohm to go. But curious who people think we could actually get or who we would target. Do you go for someone like TJ who Pollard wanted anyway? Anthony Grant?

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
But curious who people think we could actually get or who we would target.

I would be reasonably happy with TJ. Seems to know the program and be a serviceable coach and good recruiter. We aren't ever going to attract established, top tier coaches. We need to catch hold of someone just starting to realize their potential, like we did with Campbell and hold on. There might be better coaches available out there than TJ, but he's one that I am at least familiar with. I would trust that Pollard would cast a wide net on this one during the search phase, though.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I've been a hold out hoping he'd make it, but I'm out. It means we're going to lose a great recruiting class but make the change.

I still say the biggest issue is the roster structure which I know he ultimately owns, but there were some odd circumstances that led to it.

At the same time his refusal to correct some people (Nixon should not be taking most of the shots he's taking) while punishing people for vague reasons (T Lew is not as good as CF makes him out to be but he's our best shooter and has made strides on defense) and keeping them out of the line up is mind boggling.

We also have nothing that looks like a plan on either end of the court.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Kelvin Sampson? He's been doing good work at Houston the last couple of years, same recruiting grounds, has coached in the big 12 before.

I don't think Sampson is a good fit with Pollard. He has had some sketchy stops along his coaching career. I like the idea, but don't think it is an option.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
TJ
Anthony Grant
Musselman
Steve Wojo
Butcher? Might be too old
Do you test the waters to see if someone like Scott Drew and/or Marshall are interested?
Mike Rhoades?
Craig Smith?
What about Chris Jans at New Mexico State? He's from Iowa. But he has a sketchy past.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Could we pry Bobby Hurley from Arizona State? Not sure what job would be considered more prestigious between us and AZ State, but imagine it's pretty even. Probably come down to $$$. Probably just biding time till coach k retires and he can slide in at Duke

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I've been a hold out hoping he'd make it, but I'm out. It means we're going to lose a great recruiting class but make the change.

I still say the biggest issue is the roster structure which I know he ultimately owns, but there were some odd circumstances that led to it.

At the same time his refusal to correct some people (Nixon should not be taking most of the shots he's taking) while punishing people for vague reasons (T Lew is not as good as CF makes him out to be but he's our best shooter and has made strides on defense) and keeping them out of the line up is mind boggling.

Lewis isn’t that great by any stretch but definitely better than Nixon. Even my wife last night, looked at me and said why did they make 2 passes and then have everybody stand around and watch. I pointed and said “because of him” as I pointed to the coach.

Reactions: CyBobby

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I am resigned that there is no chance of Prohm being fired at the end of this season, if for no other reason than we simply could not afford it right now. Nevertheless, Pollard could insist on Prohm making changes to his coaching staff. Perhaps we could hire an assistant with experience at a school that plays tough defense, such as Virginia?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

For some reason this made me think of Bob and Bob having a meeting with Prohm:

upload_2020-1-30_9-11-30.jpeg