Kobe Bryant is dead

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
i mean he shot 50 times.

This game is on ESPN right now. Mike Tirico said in the first quarter that he may not score 59 but he very well may shoot 50 times.

Now the 81 point game was impressive because they were down by over 10 at half and then he scored 55 in the 2nd half since nobody else was playing worth a crap.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think part of the shock is that he was relatively young. He really did not have to retire. He scored 60 points in his last game, he obviously still had tons of playing ability. I think he could still be playing today had he not retired and had the tragic accident not happened.

Pretty sure his legs were shot and he needed to retire.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Both came into the sport almost from birth. Both had very strong paternal influence over that, and neither of them had much for a formal education.
Obviously Kobe didn't go to college, but I always took him to be a very sharp guy. I mean one of the storylines surrounding his career was he didn't relate well to his teammates because of his upbringing - dad made lots of money as a pro ball player, lived abroad for many years spoke at least 2 languages. It's not like he's AI.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Obviously Kobe didn't go to college, but I always took him to be a very sharp guy. I mean one of the storylines surrounding his career was he didn't relate well to his teammates because of his upbringing - dad made lots of money as a pro ball player, lived abroad for many years spoke at least 2 languages. It's not like he's AI.

That is something I would feel is similar between Earnhardt and Bryant.

To use a cliche, neither of them were bookish, but both of them were street smart or very “sharp” to use your term. Both were very intelligent and an autodidact.

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
He spoke 4 also learning Mandarin as well

One of my favorite Kobe stories

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/13/k...talk-bosnian-curse-words-lakers-trail-blazers

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
That is something I would feel is similar between Earnhardt and Bryant. To use a cliché, neither of them were bookish, but both of them were street smart or very “sharp” to use your term.

Uh, I wouldn’t say Kobe wasn’t very bookish. He spoke multiple languages, loved poetry, very intellectual, etc etc. He was a very smart dude even without a college education.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
luka-kobe.jpg

1196594930.jpg.0.jpg

So just a couple of weeks ago Dallas was in town and Kobe was sitting on the sideline given Luka Doncic grief in Slovenian.

Doncic was like who is heckling him in his native language, he turns and see's Kobe

This picture was taken after the game Kobe wanted him to meet his daughter.

:-(

Reactions: Dandy

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think part of the shock is that he was relatively young. He really did not have to retire. He scored 60 points in his last game, he obviously still had tons of playing ability. I think he could still be playing today had he not retired and had the tragic accident not happened.

You’re the leader in the clubhouse for the dumbest post of the year.

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I heard a recording of some of the back and forth with air traffic control this morning where they were given clearance for low altitude. (below 2,500 ft.)

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014

this is a weird comment to me...is the implication that college = smart? I'm guessing that's not what you're meaning.

Sometimes people don't relate well to other BECAUSE they're smart. Kobe certainly wasn't the prototype in the NBA where I believe many of them were "students" only to play in college long enough to leave. Living abroad, being exposed to different cultures, etc., probably gave him an intellectual advantage over many.

IDK...I'm sure we'll learn much more about him in the coming years as they document his life. Will be interesting to learn what we don't know now.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
It’s amazing how many people feel they need to come over and stomp on Kobe’s grave. When someone dies that I don’t like I just avoid the thread. But that’s just me. You be you.

The incident in Colorado has tainted his legacy for a lot of people. What happened between him and the girl will affect her for all her life. That can't be discounted But people can change and I think you'd have to be a fool not see that either that incident or just him growing older changed him. By all accounts he was a wonderful father and took that responsibility seriously. It seems like he was really doing a lot of good things in his retirement. I think most aren't giving him a "pass" on that incident, just realizing that the someone we were 20 years ago isn't necessarily the same person we are today. I have no dog in this fight, was never really an NBA fan other than watching Jordan as I grew up. Just an outsider's view from someone who wasn't a fan.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
So from this it looks like as the pilot was following the 101 freeway as it rose through the pass he eventually realized he couldn't make it and proceeded to gain altitude to avoid terrain and started a turn to get out of the weather. It seems at this point he became disorientated in the clouds and banked too sharply and basically dropped the helicopter.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
the worshipping of him is amazing. Was a great scorer, not a great teammate either.
We are all flawed individuals and so was Kobe. It's pretty clear that Kobe evolved over the years to become a better man for his community and family.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude