Okie St Dual

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
It would be nice if the team all had Parker’s mentality. He isn’t the most talented guy, but he works his a** off and has worked his way into AA contention.
I hear a lot of people saying that, and while I think Ian is wrestling great, there was ZERO effort to get a major today. And the coaches seemed ok with that too! I'm not sure what's going on, but you need to have the mentality of keeping going all 7 minutes and pushing for more team points.

I've said it all year, we have more 6-7 point victories than anyone in the nation. You never see a 6-7 point victory from Iowa. Picc could have settled for one but didn't. There was 0 reason for Parker to have 5+ minutes of riding time especially when his 2 TD's came so easily.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
This was a disappointing performance. 65-97 are plain and simple holes. The biggest issue going forward is there is no real plan to replace these guys. I like what I’ve seen from Broderson, but have to remember he was always a developmental guy.

Colbray and Straw put together a half a season last year when they looked like different guys. This year they are back to who they’ve always been.

Didn’t Broderson beat Assad from Iowa?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Didn’t Broderson beat Assad from Iowa?
Yes, but he’s also had some losses that weren’t so great. I wouldn’t peg your hopes on him being a high AA next year. But, he may be better than our current option. I’d expect some ups and downs from him.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Dresser walked over and seemed have a fairly long and somewhat animated conversation with Colbray after he lost. It’s none of my business but it would if been interesting to know what he said. I don’t think Colbray is trying to lose or something. You don’t put that much work in to something you don’t want to be successful at. But he’s got so much damn potential that I hope he can figure out how to bring it all together and dresser can get through to him in some way.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
How did you survive 83-99? Those were some extremely rough years. FB we begged for a 500 season. MBB, were satisfied with a tourney appearance here and there. WBB nobody talked about because he were forced to even have the managers suit up and even play. We were cutting programs also. You must have been calling the AD non stop and reaming him no stop.
I feel about the same as I do now- aside from the last 3 football seasons, nothing is different. At least we won 2 NCAA titles in XC and almost a few more. We won an NCAA crown in wrestling and had more than a few runner up finishes. That time you listed is not much different from what we are now other than it costs more money and delivers pretty much the same results sans Bill and CJL.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
"....time to pack up the bags and find a successful program to root for." I'm considering this myself. How long can a person deceive himself about "where we've come from"? I've heard this for a long, long time. Just look at that goofy "university?" in Waco, Texas. A train wreck two years ago and now.......And, then there is that junior college in Iowa City. We should be better. Patience has its limits.

No kidding, I mean seriously - why isn't everyone just rooting for the top programs. Lets say we had the success of Baylor, problem would be there would still be Oklahoma. Or maybe you can hold your nose and become a hok. How patient would you be to become THEEEE Ohio State?

So while you are looking up to other programs, overall, you wish were like, where would you place ISU in the Big XII?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
What a presser by Kevin Dresser...These are direct quotes from the coach...These guys don't want to do the little things except one guy aka David Carr....Starting tomorrow at 6:30am Micromanaging from now on included Stepping on the Scale Everyday...
Worst part about that is, last year he looked to of shook that off. Appeared this staff had gotten him to be more aggressive last year but looks to of taken a bit of a step back this year.

Dresser said It's Lifestyle things with this group of guys and then singled out Small for gaining weight and then having to cut weight before OSU meet ...Sam Colbray ...Weightwise doesn't want to do the right thing aka Maintain Weight

Dresser is going back to High School Mode which includes High School Pracitices...

WOW I have never seen or heard that from any Wrestling Coach at ISU since the days of Harold Nichols ....but I have now...Way to go Coach Dresser ...
I waited to cool off to post, probably should wait longer, but 75% of our wrestlers are still wrestling scared, defensive wrestling. No aggression, no heart. Colbray is an enigma, I can't even begin to understand what's going in in that head.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Wonder if Colbray has personal issues going on. If so, take a break from wrestling and have him work it out and support him. If not, he needs to consider quitting the team if he is not going to bring it. No fire at all.

Coleman has been kind of in the same doghouse all year but he isn't as talented as Colbray and you can see him trying in spurts.

Loved Straw last year battling but he is not doing it this year.

Though outmatched, Duggan gave a game effort.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Love what football has going but how good of shape is that? Avoid losing seasons? 7-6 ain't exactly winning big there.

We absolutely suck across the board.
Drama or fact?
You may feel good about the direction and that is great but we are not exactly winning on the field, floor or mat right now. I thought winning was the point?

This wrestling program is a metaphor for the entire department. Lots of talk and hot air with little in results to show for it. People can dislike all they want but winning matters. Prove to me we are winning

Hell don't let the door hit you on the way out. There is way more to ISU than sports. Most of us went to ISU for something other than athletics and use athletics to stay connected to the university in a social way. Do we wish they win sure, but the success of our teams are secondary (or further down) in the big scheme of life.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I love the “fans” here telling others how they should feel about this team and ISU sports in general. And that any reference towards positivity is wrong.

Life is bigger than sports. Today of all days should be a reminder of that.

Either enjoy and support the team/s or find something else to do with your time and money.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Dresser walked over and seemed have a fairly long and somewhat animated conversation with Colbray after he lost. It’s none of my business but it would if been interesting to know what he said. I don’t think Colbray is trying to lose or something. You don’t put that much work in to something you don’t want to be successful at. But he’s got so much damn potential that I hope he can figure out how to bring it all together and dresser can get through to him in some way.
Colbray looks gaunt.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I love the “fans” here telling others how they should feel about this team and ISU sports in general. And that any reference towards positivity is wrong.

Either enjoy and support the team/s or find something else to do with your time and money.
A lot of these “fans” only post here when we lose.

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019
We laid an egg for sure today but there is time to right the ship before we get to Big 12's. People do need to lighten up on the negative s***, today is a perfect example of things that are more important than collegiate sports. All you can hope is that Dresser gets through to some of the guys before the season is over. Be interesting how we wrestle on Friday against Fresno State.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Like what you just did?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
and you are soft. It's time to compete man! Demand more from your school. Not talk radio and pep rallys. Let's try this winning thing on for size and see if it works.

Soft huh? Lol. You realize that despite all the fundraising etc. that we have done our budget is still quite small? You realize that building things like the “strip mall” helps recruiting which helps winning right? Football is as healthy as its been and it appears sustainable. Basketball right now sucks but a good class is coming in and I hope it has guys that will stay a couple of years. It isn’t easy being a Cyclone fan, never has been. I’m not sure you are tough enough for it.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I was there yesterday and probably don't have any new material to add. Mackall wrestled hard but was outgunned. Small pins his kid if there's 3 more seconds left in the 2nd period. I don't know if it was the right call to overturn the backpoints, but it sure seemed odd. In the end his got tossed by a kid that throws with nothing to lose and that, coupled with having no gas left in the 3rd, hurt. Parker...give me 10 of them, although as someone else stated, I was begging him to cut the kid and go for the major. Both of his takedowns came with relative ease and had the bigger gas tank. Liesure-outgunned. Carr-fun to watch. Straw-good 57 pounder wrestling an AA caliber 65 pounder.

Colbray is an enigma. All the talent in the world but he can't seem to put it together. I'd blame the cut to 74, but he looks the same as he has everywhere else. Coleman had some spark in he 1st period but if faded quickly. I admired Duggan's fight. He was still shooting even while getting it handed to him. Gremmel was steady and workmanlike.

Dresser's post match presser said a lot. I like that he's laying it all out there for everyone to hear. He and the staff are not blameless, but ultimately it's up to the kids to go out and perform. There's AA talent at a number of weights and everyone in the room has ~7 weeks left to figure out how to get them there.