Okie St Dual

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by JM4CY, Jan 19, 2020.

1. inCyteful

inCyteful Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Executive
    Fort Collins, CO
    Ratings:
    +4,808 / 117 / -4
    Certainly a lot of disappoint over the last couple of months but your take is absolutely the dumbest, over dramatic, clueless one of them all.

I am going to assume you are 12 and can't understand where the athletic program has come from. Or you are just one of these lurkers that pops their head up from time to time when they think they have the 'take of the century'.

In any case, I don't want to be negative nancy, so lets just suppose you are right. Sounds to me like it is time to pack up the bags and find a successful program to root for.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.....

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Land Shark

Land Shark Active Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Ratings:
    +630 / 59 / -7
    A marketing fan I see. Not one time did I ever say scrap everything. Not once, who is being dramatic? These are facts.
    Football is fine but let's not act like we are winning big here. 23-16 is the second best run of my lifetime, I am happy but there is room to grow.

WBB- my guess is that they finish in the bottom half of the Big 12 but that 3 game streak does have them a 1/2 game up for 4th. My guess is half of that recruiting class never sees four years at ISU like most of Bill's classes.
    VB is on the decline- don't see how you can spin that one. Good rebound year tho. CJL can stay as long as she likes IMO
    MBB- trainwreck- no other way to spin it. See me in a year

Wrestling- distant 3rd best program in state
    WGym- having Jay's best team without KJ's athletes. They will finish 3rd in conference at best
    Swim- awful
    Softball- awful
    Soccer- awful
    MW Golf- Pretty good

I don't care about recruiting, strip malls and strategic plans. Those things ebb and flow and change. I care about results and ISU is lacking in results. Fire away all you want but you are simply fooling yourself for an AD who has buffaloed you into thinking good PR is equal to winning.

Nut up- let's hang some freaking banners sometime soon in something, ANYTHING.
    That is not drama, that is competing.

Spin away apologists. You will continue to do so because there is nothing else to do when you don't win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Land Shark

Land Shark Active Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Ratings:
    +630 / 59 / -7
    Actually, way older. This ain't no Earle Bruce era but it has a shot.
    There is not one thing different about this JP era that Max Urick or BVD did other than ISU actually won something worth bragging about during those times. We lost a whole bunch then too. This era has much more support, money and resources than those eras ever did and there ain't much to hang your hat on for it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. crablegs

crablegs Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +1,056 / 15 / -0
    Remember that UNI lost to SDSU. While today was a bad performance, one bad performance is not the end of the world. It is still very possible that ISU will beat UNI in a dual, at Big 12s, and at nationals, or some combination of the 3.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. Land Shark

Land Shark Active Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Ratings:
    +630 / 59 / -7
    This guy is happy with an AD on talk radio and spirit rallys. Winning does not matter to him
    Good thing our wrestling coach did something few others in our department do and called out people for not expecting to do more. Coach Dresser handled today well IMO and I think our program will respond to today's disappointment

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  6. Land Shark

Land Shark Active Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Ratings:
    +630 / 59 / -7
    I agree. Still, it is okay to call today what it was. A total ********

7. crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +1,056 / 15 / -0
    I agree, and I did do that. You said wrestling is a distant 3rd in the state. That is simply not true.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gerbs

Gerbs Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 119 / -6
    I tend to agree, but from dressers comments you tend to feel most on the team don’t really care.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stuclone

stuclone Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2013
    Male
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,321 / 25 / -0
    It would be nice if the team all had Parker’s mentality. He isn’t the most talented guy, but he works his a** off and has worked his way into AA contention.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +1,056 / 15 / -0
    I’m wondering if this team wasn’t feeling themselves a little bit too much this year. Last year was soooo much better than it has been in the past, and there was a ton of excitement around the program. Maybe these guys thought they were a little better than they actually were and lost that edge. This year just looks like a completely different mentality and attitude in the mat.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. bustamoveisu

bustamoveisu Active Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +282 / 113 / -5
    U bet, just having all sorts of laughs and giggles about this. Watching it makes me feel so good inside. I love spending money on this product. Great, awesome, beautiful.....

12. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +20,974 / 603 / -1
    That’s a double issue. The guys looked like it was a scrimmage for many of them. For Dresser to say he shouldn’t take any blame is total crap. He recruited these guys. The one thing I remember about VT was wrestlers like Dance being seeded 3rd or so and falling short. Fine to call out some I guess,but it’s wrong for dresser to take no blame in this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +1,056 / 15 / -0
    He actually didn’t recruit most of these guys.

• Agree Agree x 8
  14. BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +20,974 / 603 / -1
    How did you survive 83-99? Those were some extremely rough years. FB we begged for a 500 season. MBB, were satisfied with a tourney appearance here and there. WBB nobody talked about because he were forced to even have the managers suit up and even play. We were cutting programs also. You must have been calling the AD non stop and reaming him no stop.

15. BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +20,974 / 603 / -1
    And I will give him them.

Isn’t Mackall, small, Leisure, Carr, Coleman and Dugan his?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Cyfern

Cyfern Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +343 / 136 / -41
    #136 Cyfern, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    "....time to pack up the bags and find a successful program to root for." I'm considering this myself. How long can a person deceive himself about "where we've come from"? I've heard this for a long, long time. Just look at that goofy "university?" in Waco, Texas. A train wreck two years ago and now.......And, then there is that junior college in Iowa City. We should be better. Patience has its limits.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  17. crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +1,056 / 15 / -0
    Coleman was KJ. Carr is fine. Leisure and Small are backups.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +20,974 / 603 / -1
    My point is, even if you recruit small as a backup, you make sure he fits your style. Picking up non conforming individuals is still a negative whether a backup or not. You never know when the starter gets hurt or leaves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OOTClone

OOTClone Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -0
    What match results from today truly surprised anyone?

125-- Got majored by him last year.
    133-- Small is a back up. Over performing all year. Gave up a big move.
    141-- Did his thing.
    149-- Back up. Out matched vs a guy who should be the new #1.
    157-- Did his thing.
    165-- Up a weight, against top 10, isn't anywhere near elite.
    174-- Never does any moves. Switching to 174 wasn't changing that. Perfect match up for Smith, who gasses. Smith was able to push pace.
    184-- He isn't going to just flip a switch. He is up a weight now. Needs to adjust physically and mentally.
    197-- Weak weight for the team. Fought hard. Was offensive. Geer just way better.
    285-- Did his thing.

If you have been honest about this team all year, duals will depend on match ups. OSU is a bad match up. This team, when healthy, could beat UNI who beat OSU, which has been pointed out already in this thread with the SDSU dual for both teams.

Gomez is out. Degen is out. Then the team has some holes. Broderson beat Assad this year 8-3 who then a month later was in Midlands finals. So there is a guy who can continue to progress and fill a hole next year.

Dresser gave a good press conference. Should he take blame? Yes. But, if guys aren't bought in to the lifestyle, that is mostly on them. We will see how guys react.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. jkbuff98

jkbuff98 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -0
    Wasn’t Leisure KJs too ? RS sophomore