Okie St Dual

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
After Dresser's comments the other day... maybe he's lost the team? Talking about this generation basically not willing to do what it takes it sounded like. Coaches can only do so much... it's the kids that have to WANT it.

I will say after watching this whole meet that our guys sure didnt want it today...why do our wrestlers always wear down in the third period when the matches are being decided? Just looking for an answer.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Unless you count marketing and strip malls as winning-This athletic department does not win at much else. What a train wreck ISU athletics is competitively.

Unless winning does not matter anymore. Do we win or not?

This seems pretty dramatic considering the most important sport in college athletics is in the best shape it's ever been in in school history

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This seems pretty dramatic considering the most important sport in college athletics is in the best shape it's ever been in in school history

Everything else besides cross country is down quite a bit though.

And Iowa owns us in everything but cross country, and probably will for the foreseeable future. That matters.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
A lot of drama here if you believe that about the football team, or you are 35 or younger.
Drama or fact?
You may feel good about the direction and that is great but we are not exactly winning on the field, floor or mat right now. I thought winning was the point?

This wrestling program is a metaphor for the entire department. Lots of talk and hot air with little in results to show for it. People can dislike all they want but winning matters. Prove to me we are winning

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That was not good but it hinges on a couple situations: small seemed to have gotten back points and did not, Colbrays complete lack of aggression, and we are still down two all American level starters. But sitting there weight after weight after the intermission, watching us get completely worked, was beyond frustrating.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The football team has a lot more talent than ever before, but I'm not sold at all that we're getting the most out of that talent at all.

So recruiting has been decent, but player development and coaching x's and o's (especially offensively) has not been great.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Drama or fact?
You may feel good about the direction and that is great but we are not exactly winning on the field, floor or mat right now. I thought winning was the point?

This wrestling program is a metaphor for the entire department. Lots of talk and hot air with little in results to show for it.

Complete drama when it comes to football. Second best 3 year streak in our history and you aren’t happy. Football is fine. Basketball I will give another year to see what the new guys can do. WBB is on a 3 or 4 game win streak with the best recruiting class we have ever had. VB has one of there better classes coming, iirc and we made the tourney. The only sports that are of concern are wrestling and possibly men’s basketball.

And you want to scrap everything? Teenager girl drama.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
What a presser by Kevin Dresser...These are direct quotes from the coach...These guys don't want to do the little things except one guy aka David Carr....Starting tomorrow at 6:30am Micromanaging from now on included Stepping on the Scale Everyday...

Dresser said It's Lifestyle things with this group of guys and then singled out Small for gaining weight and then having to cut weight before OSU meet ...Sam Colbray ...Weightwise doesn't want to do the right thing aka Maintain Weight

Dresser is going back to High School Mode which includes High School Pracitices...

WOW I have never seen or heard that from any Wrestling Coach at ISU....and I have been around since the days of Harold Nichols ....but I have now...Way to go Coach Dresser ...

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
In the post-meet news conference, Dresser said "starting tomorrow at 6:30" that they would be in "micromanagement mode." That they would be doing weigh-ins during the day and perhaps multiple weigh-ins. He said that the wrestlers were not being responsible outside of practice, so that they will be treated like high schoolers. It'll be interesting to see if the team will respond positively, like winning matters to them.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Something just seems off this year. I realize Gomez and Degen are out but Straw and Coleman are total lackluster right now. Something needs to happen or change but I just dont know what they could do. I feel things need to start at recruiting and that would be a good start.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Something just seems off this year. I realize Gomez and Degen are out but Straw and Coleman are total lackluster right now. Something needs to happen or change but I just dont know what they could do. I feel things need to start at recruiting and that would be a good start.

I mean wasn’t our 133 pounder Like 175 pounds earlier this year

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This was a disappointing performance. 65-97 are plain and simple holes. The biggest issue going forward is there is no real plan to replace these guys. I like what I’ve seen from Broderson, but have to remember he was always a developmental guy.

Colbray and Straw put together a half a season last year when they looked like different guys. This year they are back to who they’ve always been.

Reactions: Scott34