Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I realize I'm setting myself up for boomer jokes here, but could someone please explain the appeal of Billie Eilish?
She’s got a pretty unique sounding voice and most of her beats are pretty damned catchy. I wouldn’t call myself a fan (except Bad Guy, which is a good song) but I don’t think she’s bad and can see the appeal.

The bigger thing for me is we’re going to look back and feel really bad for her. Her brother used to write her lyrics for her, and with some of the stuff he used to write for her to sing as a 16/17 year old, it’s pretty obvious he wants to **** her.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
She’s got a pretty unique sounding voice and most of her beats are pretty damned catchy. I wouldn’t call myself a fan (except Bad Guy, which is a good song) but I don’t think she’s bad and can see the appeal.

The bigger thing for me is we’re going to look back and feel really bad for her. Her brother used to write her lyrics for her, and with some of the stuff he used to write for her to sing as a 16/17 year old, it’s pretty obvious he wants to **** her.
Because it was mentioned twice as her best work, I looked up the video of "Bad Guy". I think that may have actually been the piece she was performing on the talk show.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Which one was that?
WHO. Greek sounding name - Christina Solonaikis or something like that. She's nasal, speaks in a monotone and sounds like she's reading her copy for the first time. She needs practice - a LOT of practice.

Ha! Right about the Greek, wrong about the spelling of her name. And English is her second language, so I'll cut her some slack. :D

https://whotv.com/author/whocsalonikas/

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bundled up five sport coats and a bunch of sweaters to take to a non-profit thrift shop near me yesterday. Looked though the pockets, sometimes there is gold in the pockets of old stuff. Found a five dollar bill and a 3/13/94 four day parking receipt from Park 'N Fly. Wonder where I was flying 25 years ago?
WHO. Greek sounding name - Christina Solonaikis or something like that. She's nasal, speaks in a monotone and sounds like she's reading her copy for the first time. She needs practice - a LOT of practice.

Ha! Right about the Greek, wrong about the spelling of her name. And English is her second language, so I'll cut her some slack. :D

There is a way around this, never watch local news. ;)

I'll acknowledge it is tougher to do that in Iowa and keep up because Iowa doesn't have any newspapers anymore, which is sad. :( I do catch local news when I visit my sis in the Quads because they watch theirs and am always stuck with how amateurish is seems compared to bigger markets. While in Mexico the resort channel array includes a couple of USA locals like Detroit and maybe Miami or something and they are actually not bad but they are big market productions.

The productions here in the Twin cities are actually not bad, it is a big market, I am just generally not interested in the stupid stuff they spend time on and rarely tune in. The worst is the local FOX which is essentially news for scared white folks in the suburbs.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Don't know anything about her backstory. Just saw her "performance" on one of the late night shows and was underwhelmed.

Psy-Op Award season continues tonight with the Grammys. Being exposed for the f*&king joke they have been for 30 years. No Taylor. Not sure about Timberlake yet. No Rage. No Ferrell. Just a bunch of Haters.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Although, pronunciation guides should be part of every script with name or word potentially unknown or liable to be mispronounced, according to broadcast journalism classes I took. If the guide is there and she didn’t use it, that’s another matter. Or maybe that’s been eliminated, too, as a cost saving measure.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Just saw on Washington Post email that Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash. I feel really old. Also on ESPN.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Help: my car smells like a mixture of French fries, old coffee, wet socks and ass. The coffee is my fault (and maybe the ass) but I’ve got kids and I feel like it always smells something terrible. I feel like air fresheners don’t do the trick and there has to be some secret I’m unaware of. Yes I know, clean it out. I have on multiple occasions and then let one of the spray odor eater cans in it go while the air is on high to cycle it through the car and it still stinks. TIA
If you can find some sort of citrus spray deodorizer that will help. Especially if you can figure out about where in the car the smell is coming from. It got rid of baby barf smell.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We went to Target today. I was wearing my red ISU sweatshirt. A lady asked me where the cottage cheese was. I was also wearing sweat pants, and it was a hoodie with bright yellow strings.

I told her where the cottage cheese was. I spend too much time at Target.

Get a new cardinal colored sweatshirt. It will help you out.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Boyz II Men still have it too.

I can't remember the last time I watched the Grammys but I've been missing out on some really interesting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.