This is why Prohm must go........

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
In all honesty, man, I just hope for a little momentum to end the season. There is no postseason awaiting us, but I'll be pleased with just a little momentum into the conference tourney to gain some confidence in our young guards and get some pieces settled before Foster et al arrive next season.

Maybe Tyrese returns to help right the ship? I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

Prohm will get the 2020 season to right this ship regardless. I don't really know if it's deserved, but probably a little staff re-shuffling will be coming, and as in flux as the roster has been for a few years, and Pollard's re-indexing coming in 2021, some continuity, reliving a few tournament championships, and a high-ranking recruiting class will be a better selling point for JP than the unknown of a new staff with even more roster defections.

Then again, unless Otz wants to come home...he's heating up a bit in Vegas.
TJ did really well at South Dakota too. I was actually rooting for him to be hired after Fred. I don’t know if he would come back here after getting passed up once before? Also, maybe bigger and better programs will go after him if he does well in Vegas?

• Agree
Reactions: GetAwesome

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
TJ did really well at South Dakota too. I was actually rooting for him to be hired after Fred. I don’t know if he would come back here after getting passed up once before? Also, maybe bigger and better programs will go after him if he does well in Vegas?
Well they’re 11-9 now so hopefully he turns it up a notch. I like Tj and hope he succeeds

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Craig Smith is a name I'm interesting in. From Minnesota. Was on staff with Tim Miles at Colorado State and Nebraska until 2014. HC at South Dakota and now Utah State. After he left Nebraska is when Tim Miles really floundered in recruiting. Made the NCAA tourney his first year at Utah State and looks like he will make it again this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I will note on the clanking open threes thing --

A modern basketball offense is designed to get you open threes. Period. There is no more efficient shot in the game than an open corner three. The analytics are perfectly clear on that, and everybody is trying to generate them.

Watching us generate them and clank them is... troubling, not only because it sucks and we therefore lose games, but because the alternatives should make one uncomfortable from an Xs and Os standpoint about what you do next.

If you are not going to hit those, your alternative is basically zigging when everybody is zagging and going towards interior shots or post-ups that --

(1.) Tend to generate more turnovers
(2.) Allow the other team to pack in against you
(3.) Generate fewer long offensive rebounds for you
(4.) Even if you make them, they are only worth two points
(5.) Hard to keep up with other teams when they make 3s and you make 2s

So I can see the reluctance to do that. It does not present an obvious path for success the same way high-efficiency and high-volume shooting does. I can see why any decent coach would be reluctant to go back to some sort of dinosaur offense.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
I will note on the clanking open threes thing --

A modern basketball offense is designed to get you open threes. Period. There is no more efficient shot in the game than an open corner three. The analytics are perfectly clear on that, and everybody is trying to generate them.

Watching us generate them and clank them is... troubling, not only because it sucks and we therefore lose games, but because the alternatives should make one uncomfortable from an Xs and Os standpoint about what you do next.

If you are not going to hit those, your alternative is basically zigging when everybody is zagging and going towards interior shots or post-ups that --

(1.) Tend to generate more turnovers
(2.) Allow the other team to pack in against you
(3.) Generate fewer long offensive rebounds for you
(4.) Even if you make them, they are only worth two points
(5.) Hard to keep up with other teams when they make 3s and you make 2s

So I can see the reluctance to do that. It does not present an obvious path for success the same way high-efficiency and high-volume shooting does. I can see why any decent coach would be reluctant to go back to some sort of dinosaur offense.
How can an entire team composed of division I big 12 scholarship athletes be so bad at shooting the 3? I just don’t buy the excuse that every single one of them lacks confidence. My thoughts? They don’t practice 3s enough. I remember Niang, Naz, Thomas, etc were GYM RATS practicing at all hours. Repetitive, over and over again, late at night in the gym. I know they were gym rats because they tweeted about it quite a bit and there were articles about it. I’ve never heard of our current players continuously putting in extra time shooting 3s until they get it right and it becomes automatic.
I’ve also noticed that prohm seems to have difficulty getting his players to gel/play together well, on a consistent basis. When he does get them to gel, they can be really good, ie last year big 12 tourney.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: isu83 and CyBobby

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Well they’re 11-9 now so hopefully he turns it up a notch. I like Tj and hope he succeeds

I have good news for you: TJ is in fact turning it up a notch. He started his season at 4-8, has since gone 7-1 (6-1 in conference play). As much as I despise UNLV, I find myself tuning into their games and cheering on Otz.

It'll be fun to see he can do against SDSU, their home and away with them are still to come.

Note: I realize carrying on TJ convo has nothing to do with Prohm, but it's a relative bright spot in terms of Cyclone women's and men's basketball connections during an otherwise dim period for our men's program. So I'll take it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
How can an entire team composed of division I big 12 scholarship athletes be so bad at shooting the 3? I just don’t buy the excuse that every single one of them lacks confidence. My thoughts? They don’t practice 3s enough. I remember Niang, Naz, Thomas, etc were GYM RATS practicing at all hours. Repetitive, over and over again, late at night in the gym. I know they were gym rats because they tweeted about it quite a bit and there were articles about it. I’ve never heard of our current players continuously putting in extra time shooting 3s until they get it right and it becomes automatic.
I’ve also noticed that prohm seems to have difficulty getting his players to gel/play together well, on a consistent basis. When he does get them to gel, they can be really good, ie last year big 12 tourney.

Well there was an article about this last week or the week before. In short they are putting in the time.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The “modern” offense in basketball wouldn’t be a thing if our 3P shooting was the norm. Henceforth, we shouldn’t be try to be that.

If they keep moving the line back and/or percentages begin to decrease too far below 33%, there will be some reversion to previous styles of play.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

You aren't the first person to say this but it is still always funny.

ArE tHeY EvEn PrAcTiCiNg sHoOtInG?!?!?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
The “modern” offense in basketball wouldn’t be a thing if our 3P shooting was the norm. Henceforth, we shouldn’t be try to be that.

If they keep moving the line back and/or percentages begin to decrease too far below 33%, there will be some reversion to previous styles of play.
The problem to me, if you move the 3 point line back with the goal of opening driving lanes, you need to widen the key. College is 12 feet wide, NBA is 16 feet. Still allowing post players to camp closer to the basket isn't gonna help open driving opportunities.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The problem to me, if you move the 3 point line back with the goal of opening driving lanes, you need to widen the key. College is 12 feet wide, NBA is 16 feet. Still allowing post players to camp closer to the basket isn't gonna help open driving opportunities.

It's 16' (or roughly thereabouts) in FIBA, too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Here’s the thing. No one on this team may be a great 3 point shooter. But none of them are as bad as they’ve been. There’s some bad luck involved.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here’s the thing. No one on this team may be a great 3 point shooter. But none of them are as bad as they’ve been. There’s some bad luck involved.

I'm going to need some help with this one. We are 17 games into the season, it's not like it's a small sample size. I don't know how you can be a really good 3 point shooter that just happens to miss alot of 3 point shots.

I'm a super model who just happens to be overweight and balding.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

If there is one thing that the modern player practices more than any other skill, it's shooting three pointers. I have no doubt that these guys knock them down when they're shooting on the gun in the practice facility. But hitting shots in games is different. It requires conditioning and confidence. I think we're seeing a severe lack of confidence along with poor shot selection. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think they're practicing threes.

At this level, you're either a shooter or you're not. You have a pedigree or you don't. You're not likely to go from a non-shooter to an outside threat at this point in their basketball career.

Cristopherson, Thomas, Mitrou-Long, and McGee were shooters. That was their identity as players. I think Jackson falls into that category, but he's still adjusting to the speed of the game. Mitrou-Long and Thomas weren't instant hits as freshmen either.

We're also lacking guys that can get hot or are a threat. Guys like Morris, Niang, and Burton weren't great outside shooters, but they could get open (something our guys struggle with) and go off an any given night. I'd put Bolton in this category.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm going to need some help with this one. We are 17 games into the season, it's not like it's a small sample size. I don't know how you can be a really good 3 point shooter that just happens to miss alot of 3 point shots.

I'm a super model who just happens to be overweight and balding.

read what I wrote. I said none of them are great. But they can’t possibly be as bad as they’ve been. Obviously this year they are that bad. But I bet none of them will shoot that bad again.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
read what I wrote. I said none of them are great. But they can’t possibly be as bad as they’ve been. Obviously this year they are that bad. But I bet none of them will shoot that bad again.

You said "but none of them are as bad as they've been". I question what you base that off of? What better indicator of what kind of 3 point shooter you are is there than how you shoot 3 point shots in a game?

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron