KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The first layoff I did as a manager I was assigned the group who survived the cuts

There is some guilt there. They took it worse than the group that wasn't terminated.

I have a friend at Schlumberger whose group went from 65 or so to 4 when oil prices got real low. She was promoted to managing the other three, but it sounded brutal.

Although I don’t feel too sorry for oil and gas people because I think there’s a volatility vs. salary trade off there.

• Useful
Reactions: CloneinWDSM

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I worked for companies where I had to sign non competes. Thankfully I left each on my own accord so they didn't come into play. Guy I knew was let go and was going to work for a competing business. The guy took his old employer to court and won after they went after him on the no compete contract. Guy got compensated for a year's salary, but couldn't work for his new employer for year. They just hired him as a "contract" worker for that year.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Thought y'all would be interested to know the CF Podcast Network had its best day of the last six months yesterday and is on pace to surpass that today. We appreciate all of you who are listening.
Thanks Jared. Just an FYI I tried to stream your podcast with Nick Graham thru Google Podcasts a couple days ago. Kept getting an error before it would start. Not sure how or if that's something you could fix, but thought I'd give you a heads up. I will try downloading it too and see if it will play after that point, just haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
That is a good question, but I bet they were. I have a feeling that Iheart in general was not making a profit and decided to go with the generic syndicated model for types of stations rather than looking at each individual station/show. If this was the case, it didn't matter if the show made money or not, it was going to get cut.

If I heart is so about cutting costs, why don't they just have a computer hooked to a broadcast tower that would run the same music/shows as every other city at the same time so there is no local shows anywhere. This seems to be the route they are going anyway.
It is pretty much that way now. Music stations simulcast and/or have what's called voice tracking where the announcer records all the talk segments in advance. No interaction with the audience. Live, local talk radio is an expensive format. Airing network talk radio is basically free if the station agrees to air all the national ads. Music radio in the digital age is a computer in a room.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
It seems to me that a podcast will not make anyone much money, but I may not understand that business model that well. I am stunned that some people make a living being a social media influencer.

If podcasts are advertiser sponsored, don't most people not even listen to the attached commercials?