KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I wonder how much longer there contract is for? If they want to leave KXNO they won't be able to broadcast on the radio somewhere else till it is up. That is unless out of the goodness of their heart IHeart says they are free to go elsewhere which i highly doubt that would happen.
If they don't have a producer to run the show, I would think that would give them an out. It's not like they can pull from another show since they are all let go, except for maybe Trent Condon, but makes me wonder if they may take their show elsewhere since they are not paid by IHeart.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Alright, going to throw this out there but we need a non-FCC regulated Sports Fanatics at least once a week. I'll restart my Patreon if you can stand keeping me around.

Well restarted my Patreon anyway. Just need to figure out how to connect my phone/podcasts to an older car. No internet or Bluetooth available and I'd like to keep it that way.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Sadly, too many radio stations want to sell time (think every time Mart Tirrell had a "show" over the past several years--he bought the air time--but I he didn't pay) instead of developing talent. Firings in broadcasting are part of the business, but this particular company is just about dead. They have been making moves like this every few years. I have known Ross for years, and he was one of the most dedicated broadcasters in Des Moines.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
But the thing is that the 2 of them don't really need it. I mean local broadcast people don't make a ton of money (I think) but Keith has been around forever and Andy hosts the morning show. I always figured that their show was more of a way for them to have fun and not really a big part of their career or income.
Yeah, they could very well say screw it we are done doing it. More free time for us.

I'm sure they weren't making a big chunk of money doing it but was probably a nice little extra spending money to have.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It is Iheart, so not too surprising. I am surprised the morning rush lasted as long as it did. Fanatics was ok because of CW. Couldn't stand Ross and it has nothing to do with him being an Iowa fan. Just don't like his takes and seemed uninformed on anything not baseball related. But sucks for them nonethless. It is a ruthless world out there. Profits above people.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Ross specifically has busted his tail for that station. What an absolute gut punch for those guys.
I'd be interesting to learn if they had prior knowledge so they could start looking elsewhere....hopefully they get some sort of severance package.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cycsk

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I listened to CW and Ross every day for over 3 years. If I missed an hour hear or there I usually went back and listened to the podcast. I have so many great memories of laughing my ass of while doing yard work.
I listened to the other KXNO shows once in a while but to me nothing else was like the CW and Ross combo. I'll miss you guys together.
It's like losing two friends. I mean, you don't know them personally but I don't know how else to describe it.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I’ll be tuning in to M&A this afternoon just to hear Andy read them the riot act, then I’ll be deleting the app.

Too much to ask for Murph to call in from vacation? lol.

I listen to the podcasts of the murph & andy show and fanatics so if those guys moved somewhere else, my listening won't change much I hope they figure something out, I like hearing people discuss Hawks & Clones more than Cowboys and Patriots.

I can't imagine Murph and Andy staying with KXNO. I kinda wonder if Iheart didn't fire them just so they'd quit and they'd save some money.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Curious if any of you who may have worked in radio know how contracts work. Meaning, i assume Downs was salary and worked at the station full time, but like Chris, is he contracted for like 3-4 hours a day?

Same with Murph/Andy.....are their paid for that show and the time (so like 15 hours a week) or whatever? Again, just curious.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Also, I know you have other things to fall back on, but sorry for your crappy day Chris. You all deserved better

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA

"To ambush these dedicated, respected pros at 8 a.m. is an insult to them an everyone who listens." That right there is exactly how I feel. Layoffs and cutbacks happen, but the manner in which you implement the changes means something, and the overlords at iHeart chose the wrong way to go about this. They showed no character and even less class, two things those who were fired - especially CW and Peterson - have in spades.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Curious if any of you who may have worked in radio know how contracts work. Meaning, i assume Downs was salary and worked at the station full time, but like Chris, is he contracted for like 3-4 hours a day?

Same with Murph/Andy.....are their paid for that show and the time (so like 15 hours a week) or whatever? Again, just curious.

Yes, I believe this is how it worked.

Reactions: CapnCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron