Where does this team find shooting NEXT year even?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
3 of the key guys we were counting on for this year and next left early. Horton-Tucker, Wigginton and Lard. We aren't a good enough program to just reload after losing that much talent so their early departures killed us.
The thing is this year has the talent to have a similar year as last year. Maybe a bit worse. The problem is last year underachieved so much with their talent that people don’t have the base to judge this team on. I originally was giving Prohm credit that we would have an addition by subtraction result this year. In reality we are continuing to underachieve with the talent available.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think if Jackson and Grill spend the entire offseason in “Jake Sullivan mode” (putting up thousands of shots/day), they will be much better next season.

The big question for me next year is “who is going to get any shooters we might have the ball”. Also defense.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The thing is this year has the talent to have a similar year as last year. Maybe a bit worse. The problem is last year underachieved so much with their talent that people don’t have the base to judge this team on. I originally was giving Prohm credit that we would have an addition by subtraction result this year. In reality we are continuing to underachieve with the talent available.
I agree last year's team underachieved slightly. They still earned a 6 seed which is pretty good, but should have been a little better. I guess I'm not seeing all the talent on this years roster outside of Haliburton. Conditt has talent but is still pretty raw. Other than that, this roster has no where near the talent of last year. I thought we'd be a bubble team at best coming into this season and if we got really lucky, could maybe sneak in to the tournament. So far we've been a little bit worse than I had hoped.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This team can't shoot the ball very well and when you subtract Halliburton from the equation its even worse.

Incoming recruits include a PG, 2 forwards and a highly rated C/PF. I don't see it there.

Maybe Bolton gets more consistent. Grill? sometimes fr. struggle shooting.

You have to hope that Bolton gets more consistent and guys that were brought in as shooters like Grill and Jackson, find their stroke once they mature and get more comfortable with the college game. And you have to hope some of the guys they are bringing in can shoot.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
How is the Palmer highschool basketball team doing? Do they have any little Skinners or Pearson's ready for college? We could use some Iowa small town shooters on this team...at least they would play with some heart.

Crap on the team all you like but don't question their effort out there! That's a real d!ck move on your part.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He already had his mulligan year. In fact in my opinion he's had 2 already (the past 2 seasons). One from the recuiting hole, and one from mismanaging/miscoaching talent last year.

JFC, we aren't Duke or Kentucky. We aren't going to be able to reload every year after we lose multiple players early.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

The talent isn't close to last year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Wait, you were calling THT, Wigginton, and Lard addition by subtraction?

I also don't think it's overly fair to say that last years team drastically underachieved. That was a lot of new pieces sprinkled in at one shot.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
How on earth are we better on paper than last year? We lost Shayock, Wigginton, THT, Babb and Lard. That's 5 of our top 7 from a year ago.

Who's our alpha? It isn't Hali. I thought it may have been MJ. Solo is tough but he's no alpha. Who on this team can get in every other players' face and demand better?

Hali is a cheerleader and is a great 2nd in command. But we have nobody that COMMANDS respect and has EARNED that respect.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It'/s not crazy to think that a few of these young guys will be better shooters next year. Right now the game is probably a little too fast for those guys but that will slow down over time. Some of you guys need to get a grip on reality.

• Useful
Reactions: ISUKyro

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Who's our alpha? It isn't Hali. I thought it may have been MJ. Solo is tough but he's no alpha. Who on this team can get in every other players' face and demand better?

Hali is a cheerleader and is a great 2nd in command. But we have nobody that COMMANDS respect and has EARNED that respect.

IMO that should be Jacobson this year but he has been non existent on the court and in the leadership department.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

You're insane if you think the talent on this team is even close to the talent last year. Certifiable. See someone immediately.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Have you seen North Carolina this year? If that doesn't pull things back into perspective I don't know what to tell you.

Honestly I haven't. But I have seen Iowa State. Zero excuse.