Where does this team find shooting NEXT year even?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wigginton, THT and Lard were all team cancers at various points throughout last season, and frequently all at the same time. THT was the better of the 3, but even Nick Graham said that in a private conversation, THT told him he hated living in Ames and being at Iowa State. The kid didn't want to be in college, that is forgivable. LW and Cam, I'm not so quick to forgive, but not convinced that we'd be any better WITH them at this point. For those that hate T Lew's defense and say it doesn't make up for his offense, look no further than LW, because he was just as bad but with a little higher ceiling on the offensive end, and starz.

At this point, perhaps we should be rooting for Haliburton to have some more duds like last night, as much as I hate to say it. If he can come back next season, we just might be able to scrape together a tournament run.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
My guess is all these guys are GREAT outside shooters. ......in practice, and Prohm just keeps hoping one of these games it will come together. ......instead of changing anything.
THIS team could find their shooting if we maybe tried ANYTHING different. Remember that old high school drill where you HAD to pass the ball four times before taking a shot. We have poor shot selection, we have too many outside shooters, we don't put the ball in Haliburton''s hand enough on offense (not necessarily to shoot, but to find the RIGHT play) . I would love to see a combo of two legitimate post players, one wing, and two guards instead of 3. We might come up with more offensive rebounds that way.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I agree last year's team underachieved slightly. They still earned a 6 seed which is pretty good, but should have been a little better. I guess I'm not seeing all the talent on this years roster outside of Haliburton. Conditt has talent but is still pretty raw. Other than that, this roster has no where near the talent of last year. I thought we'd be a bubble team at best coming into this season and if we got really lucky, could maybe sneak in to the tournament. So far we've been a little bit worse than I had hoped.
Last year underachieved by a ton. We aren’t near as talented as last year but last year had just as much talent as the teams with Georges and Monte.

This team wasn’t going to ever be dominant but they should have been a 7-8 seed.

The reason I say it’s addition by subtraction is last year there were a bunch of people who were in it for themselves. This year you don’t have anyone who meets that criteria. I was trying to give Prohm credit that he just had people who weren’t focused on the team and this year would be a more cohesive team. They wouldn’t be great but they would play together. At this point that was a pipe dream.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Wigginton, THT and Lard were all team cancers at various points throughout last season, and frequently all at the same time. THT was the better of the 3, but even Nick Graham said that in a private conversation, THT told him he hated living in Ames and being at Iowa State. The kid didn't want to be in college, that is forgivable. LW and Cam, I'm not so quick to forgive, but not convinced that we'd be any better WITH them at this point. For those that hate T Lew's defense and say it doesn't make up for his offense, look no further than LW, because he was just as bad but with a little higher ceiling on the offensive end, and starz.

At this point, perhaps we should be rooting for Haliburton to have some more duds like last night, as much as I hate to say it. If he can come back next season, we just might be able to scrape together a tournament run.

Yeah thats not what THT told Graham. He was homesick the first two weeks of college. He didn’t know if he was going to fit it. He wanted to work as hard as he could to realize his NBA dreams. 75% of all freshmen have the same feelings about being homesick and wondering if they are going to fit in.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My guess is all these guys are GREAT outside shooters. ......in practice, and Prohm just keeps hoping one of these games it will come together. ......instead of changing anything.
THIS team could find their shooting if we maybe tried ANYTHING different. Remember that old high school drill where you HAD to pass the ball four times before taking a shot. We have poor shot selection, we have too many outside shooters, we don't put the ball in Haliburton''s hand enough on offense (not necessarily to shoot, but to find the RIGHT play) . I would love to see a combo of two legitimate post players, one wing, and two guards instead of 3. We might come up with more offensive rebounds that way.

What do you want him to change? We are flat out missing wide open looks, it;s not like we are forcing things. Until we can knock down three's teams are just going to pack it in on us and finding a quality two will be very difficult. Hell, Self took TH out of the game last night and forced the scoring to come from other players and we all know how that went.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

THT hated Ames so much he's already been back for a visit and a game...

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
SIAP: good shooting, guard Grad transfer.

If that doesn’t happen then next season will be much like this season. If Prohm fails to do that then I’ll think about losing my mind with the rest of you.

I’m really interested to see how TH’s draft stock trends for the rest of the year. I think it will trend down just like THT’s did last year.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
What do you want him to change? We are flat out missing wide open looks, it;s not like we are forcing things. Until we can knock down three's teams are just going to pack it in on us and finding a quality two will be very difficult. Hell, Self took TH out of the game last night and forced the scoring to come from other players and we all know how that went.

I don't know if self took TH out of the game, I think TH was way to passive. TH passed up a lot of good looks that he NEEDS to be taking.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Last year underachieved by a ton. We aren’t near as talented as last year but last year had just as much talent as the teams with Georges and Monte.

This team wasn’t going to ever be dominant but they should have been a 7-8 seed.

The reason I say it’s addition by subtraction is last year there were a bunch of people who were in it for themselves. This year you don’t have anyone who meets that criteria. I was trying to give Prohm credit that he just had people who weren’t focused on the team and this year would be a more cohesive team. They wouldn’t be great but they would play together. At this point that was a pipe dream.

Georges' senior year we went 23-12, 10-8 in the Big 12 and earned a 4 seed in the NCAA tourny. Also lost the opening game in the Big 12 tournament. Last year we went 23-12. 9-9 in the Big 12 and earned a 6 seed and won the Big 12 tournament. The difference there isn't that great.

I do agree that we underachieved a little bit and the chemistry problems were disappointing.

I don't agree that we have the talent to be a 7-8 seed. We were an 8 seed the Royce White year and I think that team had quite a bit more talent than this one.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't know if self took TH out of the game, I think TH was way to passive. TH passed up a lot of good looks that he NEEDS to be taking.

I agree to a point but most people can’t see what Self does to limit opposition. Self is a master at knowing how to game plan a guy to force them in to what look like good looks to us, but are actually the looks that Self is giving them rather than the looks they want. This is why a nice handful of NBA teams would take Self in a heartbeat. It’s invaluable in a league where everyone can shoot it.

Also KU has been and is one of the best close out teams in CBB which is brutal for a poor shooting team like us. Everything just speeds up and that’s not good for us or most teams that play against Self for that matter.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
There IS a difference between "wide open looks" and a team being in a rhythm and taking good shots. If you have a "wide open look" but you aren't set, and throwing it up just because you are open. ......it's not going in. Especially after we have been taking poor shots, missing, and are desperate.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I agree to a point but most people can’t see what Self does to limit opposition. Self is a master at knowing how to game plan a guy to force them in to what looks like good looks to us, but are actually the looks that Self is giving them rather than the looks they want. Also KU has been and is one of the best close out teams in CBB which is brutal for a poor shooting team like us. Everything just speeds up and that’s not good for us or most teams that play against Self for that matter.

Yeah, this year is a vintage Self defense at KU. He hasn't had a lot of the guys to play the kind of defense he wants for a couple years but they are back to playing really stingy D and it shows.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, this year is a vintage Self defense at KU. He hasn't had a lot of the guys to play the kind of defense he wants for a couple years but they are back to playing really stingy D and it shows.

Honestly, this is probably the most complete team Self has had since they won they championship in 08.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Georges' senior year we went 23-12, 10-8 in the Big 12 and earned a 4 seed in the NCAA tourny. Also lost the opening game in the Big 12 tournament. Last year we went 23-12. 9-9 in the Big 12 and earned a 6 seed and won the Big 12 tournament. The difference there isn't that great.

I do agree that we underachieved a little bit and the chemistry problems were disappointing.

I don't agree that we have the talent to be a 7-8 seed. We were an 8 seed the Royce White year and I think that team had quite a bit more talent than this one.
The Big 12 Georges senior year was also a lot better. In Georges senior year we also had Prohm as coach. Mind you I think the team basically coached themselves. I’ve always said that team underachieved. Not a ton but it did.

Last year did get a 6 but it also needed the tournament to probably get off the 8-9 lines.

Reactions: TheHonestCycloneFan

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The Big 12 Georges senior year was also a lot better. In Georges senior year we also had Prohm as coach. Mind you I think the team basically coached themselves. I’ve always said that team underachieved. Not a ton but it did.

Last year did get a 6 but it also needed the tournament to probably get off the 8-9 lines.

That is such a $hitty take.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I am hoping Bolton, Grill, and Jackson all become reliable shooters next year. Sprinkle in some of the length we gain from our recruiting class and hopefully our defense and rebounding can improve.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman