Campustown Redevelopment

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't know how they expect to operate 8-8, seems like you would lose out on a decent amount of people that are already at work by 8.
I think you missed the part about it being European inspired.

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Quick Campustown update for those interested, just checked out a new Campustown Cafe that opened up a little while ago or sounds like.

Clouds Cafe, an European inspired Cafe on the top two floors of The Legacy Tower, was pretty cool. Former Legends restaurant spot.

Sounds like it’s a soft opening for now with more options coming in the future.

Didn’t eat anything, just had a quick coffee in the upper loft area. Pretty laid back vibe with a cool aerial view of campus.

https://www.cloudsames.com/
Really glad they opened that back up! Only wish it would've been open while I was in school..

Dec 16, 2019
So are they ever going to do something with the space next to Mr. Burrito? It's been a vacant mess for 3 years now. It's a huge eye soar and honestly embarrassing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It looked nice when everything was new, but it was hard to believe that all of them could survive. The obituary now includes Campustown Spirits (t-shirts) and Fuzzy's Tacos. Who's next?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Too bad about Fuzzys. I don’t think the tacos are earth shattering but it seems like the type of place made for a campustown.

Reactions: DFWClone

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
A four star football recruit, or four star basketball recruit?

i don’t recall seeing Sed Johnson dunking like that. Lazard never did—but he planned out. Jirehl Brock was close, but you can’t say he hasn’t panned out.

We haven’t had all that many four star recruits in football to choose from.

yes, a Minneapolis developer is currently in the process of purchasing it.
So gone is the randall proposal with the three story brick development? If so I'm glad. Was never thrilled with the way the renderings looked for that thing.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
This. It didn't start out that way, but the quality and service went downhill. Going to the Ankeny location showed a stark difference.

the Coralville one is also pretty bad. Maybe something about college towns.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
So gone is the randall proposal with the three story brick development? If so I'm glad. Was never thrilled with the way the renderings looked for that thing.

Yea, I wasn’t a fan either. From what I’ve seen this developer does good/nicer work and has worked with some big-name tenants. Will be interesting to see their proposal.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
the Coralville one is also pretty bad. Maybe something about college towns.
I think the Ames location had problems with staff turnover. Parking was an issue for both customers and staff as well. Also lots of completion for Mexican/Tex Mex nearby

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Another way to look at that is some of those may become outdated more. Specifically the third one.
The second one is the only one I really like. Balconies are nice for the occupant, but don't do much to the look of the building.

The building just west of Dunkin' Donuts leaves a lot to be desired IMO. The white panels aren't going to age well. Walking by it on the street already gives the impression it was done on the cheap.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Iowa City is twice the size of Ames. We hold our own thank you very much. Plus, our campus is 5,000,000 better than the concrete campus they have there. They need to pick up their game!
The Iowa City "campustown" and downtown are one and the same. Ames has a distinct downtown and a separate campustown. That is the biggest reason for the differences you see.

Ames campustown lacks parking. There are places I would like to stop, but if parking isn't available I drive on by. Now I have a place within a few blocks of campustown. If it isn't bitter cold, I can easily walk to those businesses. Its a great area if you are walking.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I think the Ames location had problems with staff turnover. Parking was an issue for both customers and staff as well. Also lots of completion for Mexican/Tex Mex nearby
I got a job there for a side job to make some money a few years ago when I was in college. When they hired me, they seemed like they needed to hire people urgently and hired 3 people to work FOH, including me. A week after being hired, I went on vacation for a week, came back and 2 of the people who were hired with me weren’t there anymore, and I was let go a day later because they needed to cut labor because of slow business.

I think what killed them was not having much options for parking aside from paying a meter. Location was probably an issue for them, as it appealed to college students, employees and people who work at Kingland, but I feel the townies weren’t that interested in going to Campustown for dinner.

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I got a job there for a side job to make some money a few years ago when I was in college. When they hired me, they seemed like they needed to hire people urgently and hired 3 people to work FOH, including me. A week after being hired, I went on vacation for a week, came back and 2 of the people who were hired with me weren’t there anymore, and I was let go a day later because they needed to cut labor because of slow business.

I think what killed them was not having much options for parking aside from paying a meter. Location was probably an issue for them, as it appealed to college students, employees and people who work at Kingland, but I feel the townies weren’t that interested in going to Campustown for dinner.

Maybe it would be different if parking wasn’t a nightmare, but there is a 0% chance of me going to Campustown for food. The odds get worse if kids are coming along or it’s during the school year.

• Agree
Reactions: Psyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron