This is why Prohm must go........

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Your first mistake is comparing the ACC to the Big 12. Ok maybe not 15-3 but certainly enough talent to win the Big 12 last year. We ran Kansas out of the gym twice. Ran co-champ K-State out of the gym twice and won on the road at co-champ Texas Tech. They certainly had the talent to go 13-5 at the very least with a ceiling of 15-3.

I suppose you think last year was a masterful coaching job?
So I never once said it was a masterful coaching job. I said you're an idiot. There's a HUGE difference. Prohm wasn't great last year but he wasn't bad overall. Offensively for the most part he does a really, really good job. Defensively however we were (and are) pitiful and it should've caused heads to roll.

It's interesting you cherry pick out the games you did but say it's not ok to compare the Big 12 to the ACC. We ran Kansas out of the gym twice down their best player in Azubuike. We beat Kansas State in Manhattan but running them out of the gym is purely disingenuous because the game was close until the very end. I also believe that game we hit a ridiculous number of threes to be our equalizer. Did we get them pretty good in Kansas City? Yep....sans their best player in Dean Wade. So in 3 out of the 5 games you're talking about the opposing team was down their MVP.

You find me one coach who doesn't have issues with consistency from freshmen. Having a high ceiling (Iowa State did) doesn't translate to results a lot of the time. Why? Because even the best freshmen in CBB struggle with being consistent. Offensively they normally can pick up where they left off in high school or prep school. Defensively they're normally a disaster. The stats will show we got a lot of steals or blocked shots from Wigginton/Haliburton/THT/Lard but what they don't show is how many times they gave up a dunk because they were lost. Prohm deserves blame for some of the Wigginton/Lard defensive issues because he had a year to address them. Haliburton and THT were normal freshman.

What do teams who win the title normally have? Upperclassmen plus 1st rounders.
Tech last year? Upperclassmen plus Culver.
Virginia last year? Upperclassmen plus Hunter.
2018 Nova? I think the starting 5 might were all first rounders and I don't think any were freshmen.
2018 Michigan? Upperclassmen plus Wagner.
2017 Gonzaga? Upperclassmen.
2017 UNC? Somehow Roy got a bunch of upperclassmen to stick around.

On a conference champion level team, Nick Weiler-Babb and Michael Jacobson are role players playing spot minutes.

It's a tough spot with Prohm. Great he recruited some players who decided to leave early to play professionally. Bad because you have scholarships tied up but your development to get to having a balanced roster goes out the window. At a place like Iowa State where we aren't getting lottery picks you have to make sure they're talented but not talented enough to leave early because chances are you aren't recruiting well enough consistently to be able to replace them with a player that's ready. Fred was phenomenal at plugging his holes with transfers because he was one of the only ones to do it. Now that's not the case at all.

Last edited:

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Against Iowa , we were clearly out coached. Iowa had better defense, shooting, rebounding, bench. Weren’t we favored to win ? Prohm is a players coach who lets them do what they want. Iowa had structured zone defense, good box outs, methodical offensive sets. Very embarrassing. Our coach is not Albert Einstein. He can’t comprehend how to utilize more than 7 players in a game. He is the Joe Madden of NCAAB - go out and have fun guys and maybe win some games along the way.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
A Prohm Coached and Developed teams just got dominated and throttled at home, in a rivalry game, by an average P5 team

I want people to think about that long hard......

Good Lord, pal, we get it. Same post over and over. You hate Prohm, how many times are you going to say it? Go find a more willing audience.

• Dislike
Reactions: NoCreativity

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If you cant include the year hoiberg left bare that prohm failed fix in transfer recruiting, then you can't include the stats from the year before when hoiberg left CSP 5 nba players.

This again is such a ******** lie of an argument.

the only guys that people thought would play in the league were Monte and maybe Georges.

No one even remotely though of Nadar as an nba player. Matt Thomas was considered a bust in these circles. And no one knew a thing about Burton.

edit: I forgot about Naz. He was a spot up shooter that made big shots. Not an nba player after his junior year either.

It’s a ******** argument, but typical for the crewe.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Joel1

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
Against Iowa , we were clearly out coached. Iowa had better defense, shooting, rebounding, bench. Weren’t we favored to win ? Prohm is a players coach who lets them do what they want. Iowa had structured zone defense, good box outs, methodical offensive sets. Very embarrassing. Our coach is not Albert Einstein. He can’t comprehend how to utilize more than 7 players in a game. He is the Joe Madden of NCAAB - go out and have fun guys and maybe win some games along the way.
I will say this. Prom has fault in last few years with iowa games. Obviously he is not motivating players as much as fran. Mentally and physically we are not prepaired. Not good enough from coaches. But players have to play hard and have some pride. Iowa has punked us with punks. These first games our guys are worried about celebration skits and waving to crowd. Haliburton is worst. Quit calling god and learn to shoot. And maybe learn to move your feet so you can stay in front of iowa kids that cant dribble. Bohannon punked haliburton. Until he turns that around, just shut up and play ball . Team follows him. He is not good leader right now. If he wants to talk , then back it up.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Watching is optional.

Unfortunately buying tickets and showing up for the games is optional too....and that my friend Cat could become a real problem for this administration...as CW said, losing inside Hilton is the one thing that will really rile up the fanbase...hey CW ...I agree big boy I AGREE.....

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Unfortunately buying tickets and showing up for the games is optional too....and that my friend Cat could become a real problem for this administration...as CW said, losing inside Hilton is the one thing that will really rile up the fanbase...hey CW ...I agree big boy I AGREE.....

sigh.

when that happens it will be addressed.

The good news is the people that make the decisions are smarter than the posters here.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
After 41 pages of comments pure all the experts on here this is what we should do.. Fire him and also send all the current players packing as in the post game presser both solo and tyrese said they did not do what the scouting report said they needed to do to win. Then from this group of experts on here pick the new coach as they all know more about basketball than our current coaches. While I hate losing to that other school it is just ONE game in a long season. Go to work and finish strong.
Not allowed to give your opinion on a message board. Got it

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
This again is such a ******** lie of an argument.

the only guys that people thought would play in the league were Monte and maybe Georges.

No one even remotely though of Nadar as an nba player. Matt Thomas was considered a bust in these circles. And no one knew a thing about Burton.

edit: I forgot about Naz. He was a spot up shooter that made big shots. Not an nba player after his junior year either.

It’s a ******** argument, but typical for the crewe.
I think prohm did a pretty good job his first year, and I understand that hoiberg left a difficult task with his lack of recruiting which caused the 2nd year issues. I'm just saying that if we're are going to evaluate him and his record as a coach, we can't ignore the 2nd year caused by hoiberg if we are going to give prohm the credit for the 1st year caused by hoiberg.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think prohm did a pretty good job his first year, and I understand that hoiberg left a difficult task with his lack of recruiting which caused the 2nd year issues. I'm just saying that if we're are going to evaluate him and his record as a coach, we can't ignore the 2nd year caused by hoiberg if we are going to give prohm the credit for the 1st year caused by hoiberg.

So coaching a team full of guys that were not considered nba players, and even busts under the previous coach, into nba players is doing nothing?

cool. You want to criticize the coaching, that’s cool, but at least make honest arguments.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So I never once said it was a masterful coaching job. I said you're an idiot. There's a HUGE difference. Prohm wasn't great last year but he wasn't bad overall. Offensively for the most part he does a really, really good job. Defensively however we were (and are) pitiful and it should've caused heads to roll.

It's interesting you cherry pick out the games you did but say it's not ok to compare the Big 12 to the ACC. We ran Kansas out of the gym twice down their best player in Azubuike. We beat Kansas State in Manhattan but running them out of the gym is purely disingenuous because the game was close until the very end. I also believe that game we hit a ridiculous number of threes to be our equalizer. Did we get them pretty good in Kansas City? Yep....sans their best player in Dean Wade. So in 3 out of the 5 games you're talking about the opposing team was down their MVP.

You find me one coach who doesn't have issues with consistency from freshmen. Having a high ceiling (Iowa State did) doesn't translate to results a lot of the time. Why? Because even the best freshmen in CBB struggle with being consistent. Offensively they normally can pick up where they left off in high school or prep school. Defensively they're normally a disaster. The stats will show we got a lot of steals or blocked shots from Wigginton/Haliburton/THT/Lard but what they don't show is how many times they gave up a dunk because they were lost. Prohm deserves blame for some of the Wigginton/Lard defensive issues because he had a year to address them. Haliburton and THT were normal freshman.

What do teams who win the title normally have? Upperclassmen plus 1st rounders.
Tech last year? Upperclassmen plus Culver.
Virginia last year? Upperclassmen plus Hunter.
2018 Nova? I think the starting 5 might were all first rounders and I don't think any were freshmen.
2018 Michigan? Upperclassmen plus Wagner.
2017 Gonzaga? Upperclassmen.
2017 UNC? Somehow Roy got a bunch of upperclassmen to stick around.

On a conference champion level team, Nick Weiler-Babb and Michael Jacobson are role players playing spot minutes.

It's a tough spot with Prohm. Great he recruited some players who decided to leave early to play professionally. Bad because you have scholarships tied up but your development to get to having a balanced roster goes out the window. At a place like Iowa State where we aren't getting lottery picks you have to make sure they're talented but not talented enough to leave early because chances are you aren't recruiting well enough consistently to be able to replace them with a player that's ready. Fred was phenomenal at plugging his holes with transfers because he was one of the only ones to do it. Now that's not the case at all.

Name calling huh? So typical when you know you are wrong. Come back and discuss this when you can be civil.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Anybody who thinks 15-16 and 18-19 were great coaching jobs settles for below expectations and talent level.

Both those years were **** poor coaching efforts. If they get to the tourney this year than it should be considered a great coaching effort with this roster.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
So coaching a team full of guys that were not considered nba players, and even busts under the previous coach, into nba players is doing nothing?

cool. You want to criticize the coaching, that’s cool, but at least make honest arguments.
If you want to include all his years here in his evaluation then that is fine. You seem to only want to include his successful years, and not his unsuccessful years when looking at his coaching. I'm saying if you are going to exclude the bad year caused by hoiberg, then exclude the previous good year caused by hoiberg.

My thoughts on this year's team is that we would be very good if we could hit outside shots. Which looking at last year's stats they should be able to do. It seems our game plans are predicated on hitting those shots. We sure take a lot of them. At some point we either will revert to the mean and have a good season, or we will stay as we have all season minus one game, miss a lot, and lose a lot.

Prohm has been relatively successful compared to historical ISU coaches, but the lack of effort or game adjustments are disappointing. Recruiting is a big part of college coaching and he can certainly recruit.