Iowa/Iowa St.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I'm going to be really disappointed if ISU does not start the game in the press. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but feel like Iowa guards are not great ball handlers, but good shooters. If you can get them flustered it might lead to some easy baskets, which the Clones need.

I don’t think we will but it will delay them in getting into their offense as well. I think we should heat up the guy bringing up the ball.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I don't feel confident at all in this. I think Iowa wins easily.

I don't feel confident in this one either, but if Hilton is vintage Hilton loud I think ISU can win. I thought the crowd was good against Seton Hall but it will need to be better Thursday. IMO if ISU settles for quick 3's instead of forcing the issue inside it could be a long night. I would expect to see a lot of full court press after ISU struggled with it at the end of the Seton Hall game.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't feel confident in this one either, but if Hilton is vintage Hilton loud I think ISU can win. I thought the crowd was good against Seton Hall but it will need to be better Thursday. IMO if ISU settles for quick 3's instead of forcing the issue inside it could be a long night. I would expect to see a lot of full court press after ISU struggled with it at the end of the Seton Hall game.

Iowa doesn't really run a press though, it's more of a 3/4 court trap. It's not hard to beat and it is really designed to just eat time off of the shot clock.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
IMO that's why you have to keep Iowa off the free throw line. The full court "press" they use isn't overly effective but it sets up Iowa to defend for a much shorter amount of time in the half court.

I think this every time... but they get a lot of turnovers off of it. I cannot understand why.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

It would almost be worth it to watch Jacobson punch Connor straight in the face, technicals and suspension be damned.

Well, if he's going to do that, he might as well punch Bohannon too.
~~~~~~~~
Connor, JoBo ?? Are you kidding I want Pudgy Pemsel taken out with a NuttPunch for what he did last year.

• Dislike
Reactions: Lafaester54

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Iowa doesn't really run a press though, it's more of a 3/4 court trap. It's not hard to beat and it is really designed to just eat time off of the shot clock.

Yes precisely; and that has caused us problems because, for a few seasons back, we had difficulty running offensive sets. From what I see we look better this year, but we are just a poor shooting team.
Fran will def use the 3/4 press to get us in a short shot clock, and have to launch a few long treys as the shot clock expires.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Not sure how many 3s ISU shot in the second half of the SH game, but it was not a lot and most were open shots. That is the way this team is going to have to play, unless someone figures out how to shoot suddenly. Really need to work on guys keeping moving on offense, way too much one guy dribbling and the other guys standing, even against SH.

Not sure Iowa will press ISU, but breaking it is definitely something that they need to figure out. They have the guys that should be able to break the press, just need to get on the same page.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnnyFive

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think this every time... but they get a lot of turnovers off of it. I cannot understand why.

Teams that get sped up will be prone to turning it over but good guards can break their "press" pretty easily.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm going to be really disappointed if ISU does not start the game in the press. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but feel like Iowa guards are not great ball handlers, but good shooters. If you can get them flustered it might lead to some easy baskets, which the Clones need.
We won't.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

there’s a difference between playing/game planning a full court press and being forced in to a press because you’re down by 10 with three minutes left in the game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We may line up the same for inbounds plays but there are multiple options off the alignment depending on how the defense sets up.

FWIW with exception to some struggles at the end of Sunday's game (SH's length caused issues too) I think ISU's actually been getting some scores out of bounds.

I don't recall any time outs from not getting the ball inbounded anyway.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It would almost be worth it to watch Jacobson punch Connor straight in the face, technicals and suspension be damned.

Well, if he's going to do that, he might as well punch Bohannon too.
~~~~~~~~
Connor, JoBo ?? Are you kidding I want Pudgy Pemsel taken out with a NuttPunch for what he did last year.

In that case Franny needs a shot since he likely orchestrated the whole thing.

Sure, ISU's rep would be really bad, but there'd be a whole bunch of people thinking it's been coming for quite some time.

I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't had a Woody Hayes or Bob Knight moment yet.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
In that case Franny needs a shot since he likely orchestrated the whole thing.

Sure, ISU's rep would be really bad, but there'd be a whole bunch of people thinking it's been coming for quite some time.

I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't had a Woody Hayes or Bob Knight moment yet.
Man, Iowa fans are really confident. They think they have unstoppable inside out game. It is amazing how quickly they have forgotten about blow out loss to DePaul at home. BTW, one hawk fan sees no weakness in CJ Fredrick

• Funny
Reactions: dexterhawk

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
there’s a difference between playing/game planning a full court press and being forced in to a press because you’re down by 10 with three minutes left in the game.

Very true. I’ll be ecstatic if Iowa’s in a position they need to do it.

83cy

May 14, 2006
If Iowa shoots like they did against Minnesota from 3 point line against us, we could be in trouble. If they shoot like they did against Michigan, we will beat them.

It will all come down to which team is hitting their 3 point shots, its really that simple.

That is scary. And makes me worried.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26