Iowa/Iowa St.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No put Haliburton on McCaffrey or Toussaint and dare those guys (heck beg them) to shoot from 3. I run Haliburton on the double all night long on Garza and pin Nixon on Bohannon. Make the Hawks play left handed.

Repeating but doubling Garza won't work. Let him shove his way for lay ups is fine...hopefully he gets called for it...and then just don't let anyone else live out their glory.

Reactions: Halincandenza

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
When the Cyclones have the ball:
Iowa will play zone and dare the Cyclones to make a basket. Will the Cyclones make shots? Tough to say. I expect Iowa State to try and get out and run in transition. Conditt will be key to stay on the court with no fouls and rim run all night.

When Iowa has the ball:
Iowa will drive and flail their arms initiating contact to try to draw fouls. I expect them to get to the line often. They will attempt to feed the post and kick out for threes. Hopefully the Cyclones do not double team the post often.

As mentioned often in this thread, Iowa will be extremely fired up for this one. Their guys even tweeted things when we lost games that had nothing to do with them last year. Jacobsen and Conditt need to keep their emotions in check but also do some instigating to get the hot heads on the other side out of their flow.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
When the Cyclones have the ball:
Iowa will play zone and dare the Cyclones to make a basket. Will the Cyclones make shots? Tough to say. I expect Iowa State to try and get out and run in transition. Conditt will be key to stay on the court with no fouls and rim run all night.

When Iowa has the ball:
Iowa will drive and flail their arms initiating contact to try to draw fouls. I expect them to get to the line often. They will attempt to feed the post and kick out for threes. Hopefully the Cyclones do not double team the post often.

As mentioned often in this thread, Iowa will be extremely fired up for this one. Their guys even tweeted things when we lost games that had nothing to do with them last year. Jacobsen and Conditt need to keep their emotions in check but also do some instigating to get the hot heads on the other side out of their flow.

Not Conner though, he is off of twitter so he doesn't have to listen all those "haters".

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Repeating but doubling Garza won't work. Let him shove his way for lay ups is fine...hopefully he gets called for it...and then just don't let anyone else live out their glory.

We will see what Prohm does. Why wont it work? It's not like the Hawks surround the perimiter with Reggie Miller and Ray Allen out there. Take advantage of McCaffrey not being able to shoot and force the ball out of Garzas hands on the first dribble.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
A lot of people have mentioned our athletic advantage when we're on offense, but you're forgetting that Iowa will play zone and keep their guys out of unfavorable matchups. Their press and zone have given ISU teams with much more talent a lot of problems. We have to move the ball and not try to force drives against a set defense or risky passes. I like having Bolton and Haliburton together. Both are good ball handlers and good at knifing through pressure to create a numbers advantage.

If we can keep the pace fast, we can get easy scores at the basket and open threes. If it turns into a half court game, Iowa's zone could give us issues, especially with our poor shooting.

I like the idea of Nixon on Bohannon. He can get very frustrated when pressured, and if he's already struggling with mobility, I could see him going into pout mode with an annoying Nixon.

Garza is what he is. He's going to score points. He has some really good post moves that are almost unstoppable at his size. Our bigs have to stay on the floor, contest, and hope that he's not getting the rolls.

If we can force 12+ turnovers and get the ball out in transition, we have more talent and should win.

It's almost a guarantee that their will be a technical and possibly multiple technicals. Prohm has to stress to our guys to keep their cool. Haliburton, Conditt, and Jacobson will almost certainly get into some tussle before the game is over.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
A lot of people have mentioned our athletic advantage when we're on offense, but you're forgetting that Iowa will play zone and keep their guys out of unfavorable matchups. Their press and zone have given ISU teams with much more talent a lot of problems. We have to move the ball and not try to force drives against a set defense or risky passes. I like having Bolton and Haliburton together. Both are good ball handlers and good at knifing through pressure to create a numbers advantage.

If we can keep the pace fast, we can get easy scores at the basket and open threes. If it turns into a half court game, Iowa's zone could give us issues, especially with our poor shooting.

I like the idea of Nixon on Bohannon. He can get very frustrated when pressured, and if he's already struggling with mobility, I could see him going into pout mode with an annoying Nixon.

Garza is what he is. He's going to score points. He has some really good post moves that are almost unstoppable at his size. Our bigs have to stay on the floor, contest, and hope that he's not getting the rolls.

If we can force 12+ turnovers and get the ball out in transition, we have more talent and should win.

It's almost a guarantee that their will be a technical and possibly multiple technicals. Prohm has to stress to our guys to keep their cool. Haliburton, Conditt, and Jacobson will almost certainly get into some tussle before the game is over.

Iowa's zone is awful though

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

It would almost be worth it to watch Jacobson punch Connor straight in the face, technicals and suspension be damned.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
No put Haliburton on McCaffrey or Toussaint and dare those guys (heck beg them) to shoot from 3. I run Haliburton on the double all night long on Garza and pin Nixon on Bohannon. Make the Hawks play left handed.

Haliburton should be on McCaffrey because he is not gonna let that ***** get in his head.

Nixon on Weeze or whatever the fu k they are calling him

Rasir on JorBlow

MJ on Pencil

Solo on Garza and keep him out of the paint.

Conditt to run whomever is on him into the ground

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
CJ is their main perimeter threat right now. Throw Nixon on him, Haliburton on Joe W, Bolton can hold down a injured J-Bo, Jacobson will have a quickness and speed disadvantage but a strength and height advantage over C-Mac and will get into his head because Jacobson is a **** lol. Solomon is the guy I want on Garza unless Conditt is out there. Young has the physicality and strength to slow down Lurch. Jacobson and Young will tear C-Mac up on the block on offense.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We will see what Prohm does. Why wont it work? It's not like the Hawks surround the perimiter with Reggie Miller and Ray Allen out there. Take advantage of McCaffrey not being able to shoot and force the ball out of Garzas hands on the first dribble.

You double down on a guy that really doesn't need to be doubled, and you let guys open that will start hitting threes that haven't been in their biggest game.

I saw he scored 40+ last week but it's not like he just flies around the hoop. It's catch the ball, forearm shove and hook the elbow, awkward layup. Let him have that.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's the same zone, dude. It's OK to admit even in some of our wins against Iowa, we haven't played all that well.

Our previous struggles against Iowa's zone is that we don't make them move and we settle for bad shots early in the shot clock. We don't have to hit a bunch of threes to beat the zone, we need to work the ball to the middle and things open up real fast.

Kevin Slifka

Nov 22, 2019
Conditt is going to need to play well, but I worry that he'll end up in foul trouble early against Garza. They're going to try to exploit our weak interior defense to either have Garza do the dirty work or kick it out to Wieskamp or Bohannon for 3s. Will be interested to see the lineups we roll out.
We are a different team with Conditt in the lineup. He brings a positive energy to the game.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Our previous struggles against Iowa's zone is that we don't make them move and we settle for bad shots early in the shot clock. We don't have to hit a bunch of threes to beat the zone, we need to work the ball to the middle and things open up real fast.
Imagine Haliburton getting the ball in the middle free throw line and throwing lobs to Conditt when Garza has to respect his mid range jumper.

Help Support Us

Become a patron