Winter Storm: Thanksgiving Week Edition

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
My wife is flying STL to DSM on Wednesday night.

On a scale of 1 to "spiders in my underpants," how screwed is that flight?

If the forecast as this morning holds and it doesn't shift, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Des Moines is supposed to get minimal snow, if anything at all.

This.

Current storm path puts DSM in the clear, she'll be good to get in, I'd guess.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, but it shouldn't be snow/ice that make any delays or issues.
One of the scariest landings of my life was at Des Moines when a storm front came through and we landed in huge crosswind gusts. I was sitting in the back of the plane and I swear I saw the cabin twist in the wind. We just about got whiplash from the plane landing at an angle and then jerking back to forward when the landing gear touched down. The winds had died down by the time we deplaned. I have no idea why they didn't have us come around once or twice to let the front pass through.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I hate those big snows in the foothills west of Denver. Made it really hard for Front Rangers to get to the mountains, especially for Boulderites because 93 down to Golden is dicey all the time.

Driving I70 from Utah, I once got stopped on the western side of the pass while the plows cleared the road. Once clear and on the downhill into Denver, I had to pull over twice to knock all the ice off my car because it was so thick it handled like a boat.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Another potential system on Saturday/Sunday? This is from the most recent update at https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...MX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

...Additional Wintry Systems Possible Later This Week...
Thursday-Friday system: Mixed precip types are possible with this
event as well. The big difference between this event and the one
forecast for Tuesday-Wednesday, is that the winds should be much
lighter for this event... blowing near to or less than 10 kts.
Forecast right now probably has too much ice accumulation in it...
future shifts will look at lowering these totals. As of now, this
looks like a sub-advisory event... but cannot completely rule out
the need for a Winter WX Advisory far north. Again, will continue
to look at this over the next few shifts.

Saturday-Sunday system: Confidence is growing in yet another
wintry system to pass through Iowa Saturday-Sunday. This system may
be more potent than the Thursday-Friday system. Saturday, precip may
fall as rain as temperatures appear to be into the 40s and even 50s.
Cold air arrives Sunday, which would turn precip to snow. Winds on
Sunday could be in the 20 to 30 mph range, so this would likely be
blowing snow. Will look at this more closely over the next few days
as well.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
DSM should be fine with the wind as both runways are long enough to accommodate everything. CID on the hand may get dicey if the crosswinds get too big. Can't say that I have seen airliners use 13/31 very often.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
One of the scariest landings of my life was at Des Moines when a storm front came through and we landed in huge crosswind gusts. I was sitting in the back of the plane and I swear I saw the cabin twist in the wind. We just about got whiplash from the plane landing at an angle and then jerking back to forward when the landing gear touched down. The winds had died down by the time we deplaned. I have no idea why they didn't have us come around once or twice to let the front pass through.

And that is why I hate flying. Just reading it makes me cringe.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Well, they’re essentially a large flying can of Mountain Dew, but with people in it. Like if a plane was to fly face first into the ground you wouldn’t die from the impact of the plane hitting the ground because it would crumple so easy. You’d have a split second when you could see the ground rushing up to meet you.

Everybody have safe travels this thanksgiving.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Was it like this? :D

• Funny
Reactions: cstrunk

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
And that is why I hate flying. Just reading it makes me cringe.
You'd really love an experience I had some years ago. Landing in Houston on one of those small regional jets, when all of the sudden the plane banks hard right. And I mean as hard as it will go. I look out the window, and I see another aircraft pulling the same maneuver probably 200 feet away.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Three WeldWerks pint beers deep in my driveway

72743079_10221517849999754_5370292489758441472_o.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron