Winter Storm: Thanksgiving Week Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Because more than a week out they were able to predict a major system moving through right before Thanksgiving, and they were right?

Right. If you only pay attention to single-point forecasts ("What's going to happen at my location at a specific time?") there can be a ton of error until just a few days out. But if you pay attention to the overall forecast ("What are storm systems and fronts generally going to do?") they are surprisingly accurate a couple weeks out and can give you a great idea of what to prepare for.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Hearing ice on Friday?

I'm all for it

1.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My wife is flying STL to DSM on Wednesday night.

On a scale of 1 to "spiders in my underpants," how screwed is that flight?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
My wife is flying STL to DSM on Wednesday night.

On a scale of 1 to "spiders in my underpants," how screwed is that flight?

If the forecast as this morning holds and it doesn't shift, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Des Moines is supposed to get minimal snow, if anything at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If the forecast as this morning holds and it doesn't shift, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Des Moines is supposed to get minimal snow, if anything at all.

Thank you. I guess I just have to worry about the knock-on effects on other hubs. The 737 has to make it to STL to pick her up in the first place.

It does not look like anything eastwards is going to suffer much, though.