Winter Storm: Thanksgiving Week Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The TC media were dead wrong. Through Saturday they were all saying don't believe the hype. It was tracking south and we were going to be dry until Friday.

10:00 pm news tonight: 'we are in a Winter Storm Watch. Expect at least 5 inches Tuesday into Wednesday. Don't travel Wednesday morning because of wind. Oh we also are getting snow Thursday night. And Friday. And next Saturday. And Sunday.'

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The TC media were dead wrong. Through Saturday they were all saying don't believe the hype. It was tracking south and we were going to be dry until Friday.

10:00 pm news tonight: 'we are in a Winter Storm Watch. Expect at least 5 inches Tuesday into Wednesday. Don't travel Wednesday morning because of wind. Oh we also are getting snow Thursday night. And Friday. And next Saturday. And Sunday.'

Were they dead wrong or did the track change? Also I have a hard time believing any meteorologist would have given you a true forecast that far out.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Were they dead wrong or did the track change? Also I have a hard time believing any meteorologist would have given you a true forecast that far out.

From NWS Twin Cities Friday night. Obviously things have changed, but even then I was surprised they took this firm of a stance.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
From NWS Twin Cities Friday night. Obviously things have changed, but even then I was surprised they took this firm of a stance.

That is quite surprising given the messaging from the offices in DSM and DVN. That being said this is one of my complaints with the NWS they are amazing at what they do but every now and then you see differences in offices like this.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
That is quite surprising given the messaging from the offices in DSM and DVN. That being said this is one of my complaints with the NWS they are amazing at what they do but every now and then you see differences in offices like this.

I mean on last Friday the 12z, 00z, and 12 Thursday runs of the GFS had pretty much no precip in MN for this storm. Same deal with CMC for it's Friday runs. Even the Euro which was the most north of the models only really hit Rochester and points southeastward. The Saturday runs were really when the consensus started to shift back northwards.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I mean on last Friday the 12z, 00z, and 12 Thursday runs of the GFS had pretty much no precip in MN for this storm. Same deal with CMC for it's Friday runs. Even the Euro which was the most north of the models only really hit Rochester and points southeastward. The Saturday runs were really when the consensus started to shift back northwards.

Which is continuing this morning.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Here in Colorado they're calling for 6-16" in the Denver area for tonight into tomorrow. We leave for KC on Wednesday morning and will be at the game on Saturday. I'm hoping that far south will help with any precipitation

Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Here in Colorado they're calling for 6-16" in the Denver area for tonight into tomorrow. We leave for KC on Wednesday morning and will be at the game on Saturday. I'm hoping that far south will help with any precipitation

Definitely not going to work tomorrow. Seems like a good day to practice my A/T skiing.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My wife is flying to London Tuesday afternoon, looks like she should be fine to get out of here.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Definitely not going to work tomorrow. Seems like a good day to practice my A/T skiing.

Thankfully, daughter's school is already on break. I'll just bring my laptop home with me and hope that the internet stays up.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Twin Cities in a warning now and most saying at least 7 inches. Looks like Ames/Boone/Des Moines are going to only get rain through Thursday?