STAFF PICKS: Fran McCaffery

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Gissel, Woodbury, Uthoff (transfer), Jok, Pesml, McC boys and Wieskamp may have given Fran a false since of entitle ment that EIU would just get the best player in Iowa every year to supplement his mid major roster (w/Cook). It did for his fans.

That has changed last year with Carton and this year with Foster...

Fran's recruiting is in a world of hurt by not making in roads with suitable replacements pivots in the case they didn't just come to IC regardless of coaching. Oh well.

I saw an actual insightful post on one of the hawk boards- essentially, if you're going to move on from Mad, this is the best possible time to do it. There is little talent currently on the roster, and next to zero coming in next year. So if you have to start over with recruiting it's no big loss, and probably a benefit. He also added the fear that you'd lose both of the Fran Jr.s should no longer be anything to sweat. Garza isn't going anywhere, Wesikamp isn't going anywhere, who else would matter? Hard to argue any of his or her points.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I saw an actual insightful post on one of the hawk boards- essentially, if you're going to move on from Mad, this is the best possible time to do it. There is little talent currently on the roster, and next to zero coming in next year. So if you have to start over with recruiting it's no big loss, and probably a benefit. He also added the fear that you'd lose both of the Fran Jr.s should no longer be anything to sweat. Garza isn't going anywhere, Wesikamp isn't going anywhere, who else would matter? Hard to argue any of his or her points.

That is a sensible take, especially with Lipsy being the next HM recruit coming out of the state in couple of years. Considering his ISU ties I don't think EIU is any threat for his commitment. (Nebby is by far bigger threat if he wants to stay close).

The issue, of course, is Barta has shown now indication of making a move, even doubling down with the under-the-radar extension for McCaffery.
Their fan's only hope would be if Fran wants to jump early to a mid-major to avoid the fan turning on him resulting in him being let go. Plus his kids could transfer to his new school giving them all a soft landing spot.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The one from last year dribbles like he's learning to dribble, and pretty sure he was playing PG last night.

No worries though--he'll shove his way to the hoop vs. ISU...it's his dream to quiet a Hilton crowd with his, um, 'skills'.

I think the other one was out there last night...him vs. what Michigan State usually rolls out there for big men is an interesting thought.

He'd better watch it, or he'll end up in Cyclone Alley with a big, gaping, bloody wound.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Doc and isufbcurt

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The issue, of course, is Barta has shown now indication of making a move, even doubling down with the under-the-radar extension for McCaffery.
Their fan's only hope would be if Fran wants to jump early to a mid-major to avoid the fan turning on him resulting in him being let go. Plus his kids could transfer to his new school giving them all a soft landing spot.

Poor attendance is what got Lick fired IIRC. I don't know exactly what the numbers were at the end under Lick, but last night's crowd was not good. Also, I'm not totally convinced last night's game couldn't just end up being an aberration. They got punched in the mouth early and often, and were back on their heels for most of the game. I can guarantee they will come into Hilton loaded for bear, no matter their record.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
AGREE! And I am a long-time fan of DePaul! Talk about embarrassing programs...yikes! I used to absolutely love watching DePaul games on WGN when I was growing up...seems like so long ago!
I remember those games. On TV you could see those really interesting looking poles at the scorekeeper's table that lit up a lightbulb for each foul that a team had. Rosemont Horizon must have been an interesting arena. I wonder if it's changed much over the years? It's Allstate Arena now, I guess.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I remember those games. On TV you could see those really interesting looking poles at the scorekeeper's table that lit up a lightbulb for each foul that a team had. Rosemont Horizon must have been an interesting arena. I wonder if it's changed much over the years? It's Allstate Arena now, I guess.

I attended quite a few games at the Rosemont/All-State to watch DePaul...and it got renovated in the early 2000s maybe? DePaul plays in the South Loop now...not too far from Soldier's Field! Can't imagine they draw much of a crowd down there when you have to pay a lot to park and tickets aren't cheap!

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Poor attendance is what got Lick fired IIRC. I don't know exactly what the numbers were at the end under Lick, but last night's crowd was not good. Also, I'm not totally convinced last night's game couldn't just end up being an aberration. They got punched in the mouth early and often, and were back on their heels for most of the game. I can guarantee they will come into Hilton loaded for bear, no matter their record.
Iowa is not a good team. They definitely got punched in the mouth early last night, but this is a 16-17 win team tops.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I will disagree only because this is the slowest Iowa team I can remember for quite sometime. The spiders look like they are playing on six legs. Any team with decent guard play should be able to get to the rim at will on the Hawks.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I attended quite a few games at the Rosemont/All-State to watch DePaul...and it got renovated in the early 2000s maybe? DePaul plays in the South Loop now...not too far from Soldier's Field! Can't imagine they draw much of a crowd down there when you have to pay a lot to park and tickets aren't cheap!
It’s a nice venue, and a better location, but a smaller on-campus arena would have better. Politics and space issues aside, of course.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
That is a sensible take, especially with Lipsy being the next HM recruit coming out of the state in couple of years. Considering his ISU ties I don't think EIU is any threat for his commitment. (Nebby is by far bigger threat if he wants to stay close).

That would be a very Greg McDermott-ish type of situation.

If it does shake out like that I just hope that they don't have their own version of Hoiberg sitting out there somewhere.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Staff picks: Which DII school does Connor finish his playing days at after Dad gets canned for starting him?

Maybe he just calls it quits on basketball to focus on baseball at Iowa. Isn't that what he's on scholarship for anyway?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Yep. There's ten kids on Iowa's roster that are Iowa natives who grew up around the rivalry. They'll be way up for it. Why, you might even call it their Super Bowl.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
To be fair the Big East is pretty stacked this year.
St Mary's (ranked)
Seton Hall (ranked)
Villanova (Always good)
Xavier (Not sure on them this year)
Georgetown (Not sure this year but play tough)
Creighton
Butler
Marquette
Providence
DePaul

I think DePaul could surprise a bit this year (They look pretty athletic although turnovers will doom them.) Not a tournament team, but they should be competitive with better teams. Just shouldn't blow out a home team by 20+ points.
St. Mary's plays in the WCC, other than that your point stands. The Big East is a really solid.