Help Me Understand Going For Two

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
You play overtime to basically maneuver yourself into a sudden death (for the other team) situation. We had one of those available from the two yard line with little time left in regulation. Why would you not take it?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Another person who fails to grasp that OT rules make a completely different situation from regulation.

Seriously. Go look at what happened after Baylor was held to 9 points in regulation, if you want a fresh example. There are more blatent ones, I’m just not taking the time to look for them.
We will agree to disagree. I will take the momentum we had into OT. Our defense was completely locked in on OU. 7 points, 7 points in the second half!

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Well, they were 3rd in the conference going into the game, and that may very well change after it.
Have the other two defenses played OU/OSU? Baylor is likely #1, according to the stats, but give me ISU any day over that defense.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
For those who didn't like the Play Call; what do you feel was a batter call? Wheel Route to Breece? Corner fade to Kolar? Pettway?
We had a good play and missed the open man, got mugged on PI and still had two hands on the ball.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Why shouldn’t you expect a PI there? It was clearly a penalty. I'm not a fan of replays or challenges. But if the officiating is going to continue to suck this bad, why not implement a challenge like the NFL? Just getting tired of missed calls and picked up flags costing us the opportunity to win games.
Guess I am willing to get flamed and need to see it again, but I was OK with a no call. You get a DB in his hip pocket playing good man coverage in a compacted field. The ball is thrown behind Pettway enough that he has to slow down and reach back toward the defender. The defender can essentially maintain his path to the ball and can make contact making a play on the ball.
I haven't watched a replay since last night so I'd want to see if grabbed Pettways arm before the ball got there. But if not, the early contact alone in making a play on the ball isn't a penalty.
Again, I could've missed it but an offensive player has no more right to the ball than a defender and while you can't go through a guy to play the ball, contact is not a penalty.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Love the call. Can’t go to overtime with our kicking game. Play was there, just didn’t execute. We’ll get them next time.

• Agree
Reactions: Blandboy

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Guess I am willing to get flamed and need to see it again, but I was OK with a no call. You get a DB in his hip pocket playing good man coverage in a compacted field. The ball is thrown behind Pettway enough that he has to slow down and reach back toward the defender. The defender can essentially maintain his path to the ball and can make contact making a play on the ball.
I haven't watched a replay since last night so I'd want to see if grabbed Pettways arm before the ball got there. But if not, the early contact alone in making a play on the ball isn't a penalty.
Again, I could've missed it but an offensive player has no more right to the ball than a defender and while you can't go through a guy to play the ball, contact is not a penalty.
Watch it again he made no play on the ball

• Winner
Reactions: Blandboy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Keep Breece in the backfield for pass blocking and we're having a different conversation this morning.

Maybe keep him in and a delayed flare out possibly too.

Or have him out on the opposite side of the play call. I like him in a potential one on one with the ball.

Could go on and on. The game was decided there, but there were other opportunities throughout. I keep waiting for ISU to get over 'this close' but not sure if this group can do it.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
The decision comes down to statistics. The collegiate 2 point conversion rate is around 42%. ISU has a solid offense, so our conversion odds are probably a touch higher, but lets ignore that. Did the coaches think our odds of beating OU in OT were better than 42%? If not, then going for 2 is the right call.

Initially, I wanted them to go for 2 because I thought it gave us our best chances to win. But once they decided to review the TD play (for what reason I have no idea), my thinking started to shift. I felt like our odds in OT might be better.

One last thought. The conventional wisdom in college football is to play defense first in OT. In this case, I think I would prefer the ball first against a tired defense that had just been scored on. Shove the ball down their throats, score a TD, and then let them try to regain momentum in a stadium where 1/3 of the crowd had already left.

H

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Maybe keep him in and a delayed flare out possibly too.

Or have him out on the opposite side of the play call. I like him in a potential one on one with the ball.

Could go on and on. The game was decided there, but there were other opportunities throughout. I keep waiting for ISU to get over 'this close' but not sure if this group can do it.

IMO Purdy was a little rushed with that OU linebacker blitzing; my premise is with one more block he might've had time to find Kolar. You're right, no sense in Monday (Sunday) morning quarterbacking though

• Agree
Reactions: bthebutcher

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
In the GameDay thread, I said I'm 50/50 between going for tie or win. With a little more time to digest it, I'd probably lean toward going for 2. It isn't by a wide margin, but kind of like the difference of playing for tie vs. attempting a 3 in regulation in bball.

In a vacuum, the basic trade-off is:
(1) Go for 2 and you get only one play to do it.
(2) Play for OT, that gives you more offensive plays (barring a TO) but also gives opponent at least 4 plays (barring TO).

Choosing which option can vary depending on opponent, stakes, perhaps momentum.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Numerous mentions of fans leaving the stadium, something I hadn't noticed at the time. When did they start heading for the exit? Was it when it was 42-21? That would've been extremely early I'd think, still a full quarter left. Had to be sometime after OU was still ahead 42-28 and clock was under 5 minutes.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Numerous mentions of fans leaving the stadium, something I hadn't noticed at the time. When did they start heading for the exit? Was it when it was 42-21? That would've been extremely early I'd think, still a full quarter left. Had to be sometime after OU was still ahead 42-28 and clock was under 5 minutes.

I think it was around when we were down by 14 in the 4th and had to punt to them.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
ISU was manhandling Oklahoma in the 4th. I was yelling and unhappy before the snap. Why would you go for two and not just take the tie and use your momentum to try and win in overtime? I think Campbell is great, but this was a bad decision.
Why going for 2? Because you would have been happy had that worked.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think it was around when we were down by 14 in the 4th and had to punt to them.

Splitting hairs, I looked at the play-by-play. If it was in the 4th it turnover on downs (only ISU punt in 2nd half was in 3rd, I assume they didn't leave that early). Whether punt or 4th down fail, the timeline makes sense, it was about 7 minutes left OU up two TDs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Splitting hairs, I looked at the play-by-play. If it was in the 4th it turnover on downs (only ISU punt in 2nd half was in 3rd, I assume they didn't leave that early). Whether punt or 4th down fail, the timeline makes sense, it was about 7 minutes left OU up two TDs.

Once ISU was denied a score when they had 1st and goal, it looked like it was over.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron