And boom goes the dynamite

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I'd call this a half stick of dynamite...bigger cache of explosives in about a week...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: knowlesjam

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
So as a casual recruiting follower why should I be excited about a 3 star recruit rated just inside the top 400 with a couple offers from mid tier P5 programs? On paper this guy looks like the next future transfer to leave without impacting the program.

I didn’t realize Maryland, Seton Hall and Auburn were mid tier?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Are they top-20 programs? Is such a list just the current rankings?

Relax, although it was amiss in terms of recruiting, it wasn’t an anti-Prohm or inaccurate statement.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I wonder when they will update his recruiting rankings? He has some other good offers, but that 247 rating, YIKES!!!! He would be one of the worst recruits of the Prohm era as of right now, so I see your point.

Always better to judge by the offers not the ranking especially for late risers. If the staff went by rankings and not their evaluation Tyrese wouldn't be a clone. Then again you may have been concerned with his signing 2 years ago too.

Auburn, Marquette, Maryland and Notre Dame recruit and get 4-5 star talent and wouldn't be offering and actively recruiting Dubar late if he wasn't at that potential talent level.

Sleep easy, he has talent.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

They aren't top ten type blue bloods, and they aren't power conference bottom feeders. That leaves them as mid tier power conference programs. Teams that will make the tourney and show up in a top 25 poll more seasons than not, but not perennial contenders.

• Funny
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They aren't top ten type blue bloods, and they aren't power conference bottom feeders. That leaves them as mid tier power conference programs. Teams that will make the tourney and show up in a top 25 poll more seasons than not, but not perennial contenders.

I would call that something better than mid tier. Iowa is a mid tier program. Those programs are on whatever level is above that.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Always better to judge by the offers not the ranking especially for late risers. If the staff went by rankings and not their evaluation Tyrese wouldn't be a clone. Then again you may have been concerned with his signing 2 years ago too.

Auburn, Marquette, Maryland and Notre Dame recruit and get 4-5 star talent and wouldn't be offering and actively recruiting Dubar late if he wasn't at that potential talent level.

Sleep easy, he has talent.

I would say Tyrese was stronger for a ranking than offers. Tyrese didn't have a great offer list. Minny, Nebby, and Cincy for majors. Was just outside the top 150 for rankings though.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
So by this definition you aren't excited about a recruit with mid-tier offers committing to your mid-tier school?

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Why?

Luke Anderson was also a 3 star recruit. He was rated around 200th in the nation, 150ish spots higher. He had offers from KSU, UGA, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Minnesota, and Xavier, plus a bunch of mid majors. On paper he looks like the better recruit. He just left before his first game.

Jump over to the transfer thread and there a plenty of posters talking about how they never understood his signing in the first place or how he was recruited over. Yet on paper here he looks like the better recruit than Dubar. If the only case to the contrary is his recruiting videos than spare me, everyone at this level has nice highlight videos.

I hope he turns out to be a great Clone, but I just don't see much reason to get excited today. This just looks like another dime a dozen signing for a major conference hoops program.

I wonder when they will update his recruiting rankings? He has some other good offers, but that 247 rating, YIKES!!!! He would be one of the worst recruits of the Prohm era as of right now, so I see your point.

JFC

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I would call that something better than mid tier. Iowa is a mid tier program. Those programs are on whatever level is above that.

Seton Hall has made the dance 3 times since 2000, they have advanced past the opening weekend once. Auburn has 4 tourney appearances since 2000, with last year's final 4 run as their only trip past the opening weekend.

Iowa has 7 appearances in that span, but no trips beyond the first weekend.

I would say those schools are very much in the same tier.

Maryland has 12 bids with 4 runs beyond the same weekend. Probably on a higher tier, but not quite elite.

ISU for reference has 10 bids and 3 trips beyond opening weekend. Considering that time span covers the dark years of Morgan and McD, we compare pretty favorably to all these programs.

• Dislike
Reactions: Ozclone

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
Don’t think that are related as much as people think. The idea was always to oversign by two with the idea TH would leave and one player would transfer. Still think we will need one more signee after Foster. Good get by the staff.

It just seems convenient, that's all.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Is Iowa in the mid-tier of the P5 conferences If so, Fran is doing a hell of a job.

Imo Iowa peaks into the mid-tier, but I don’t know if they are mid-tier.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I don't often use the dumb button, but made an exception on this one.

Odd question, but does one have to reach a certain status on CF to get access to the 'Dumb' button? I see it from time to time but don't have it as an option.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Are they top-20 programs? Is such a list just the current rankings?

Relax, although it was amiss in terms of recruiting, it wasn’t an anti-Prohm or inaccurate statement.

4.JPG

Being in the final 4 last year, and being arguably robbed of playing in the Championship imo puts them as a top 20 program currently.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Seton Hall has made the dance 3 times since 2000, they have advanced past the opening weekend once. Auburn has 4 tourney appearances since 2000, with last year's final 4 run as their only trip past the opening weekend.

Maryland has 12 bids with 4 runs beyond the same weekend. Probably on a higher tier, but not quite elite.

ISU for reference has 10 bids and 3 trips beyond opening weekend. Considering that time span covers the dark years of Morgan and McD, we compare pretty favorably to all these programs.
Kansas State has 9 bids with 2 Elite 8's.
Marquette has 12 bids with a F4, 2 E8, 3 S16.
Notre Dame has 12 bids with 2 E8, 3 S16.
Wichita State has 8 bids with a F4 and 3 S16.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

We shouldn't count recruiting ranking the same as regular season results. Just getting 5 star recruits doesn't directly lead to wins. You need a certain talent level to win the conerence and go far in the NCAA's but to see it realized they need to develop and be coached properly and get the wins.

Maryland and Seton Hall regularly recruit 5 stars and have players leave early for the NBA. Getting a recruit over those schools is a win in recruiting. EIU for example may "recruit" a few 5 stars but doesn't get their commitment thus beating Fran out for a recruit is less impressive.