INSIDER: Super quick perspective on Leech/Anderson news

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
First of all, I had no clue this was coming. Caught me off guard. I was in a meeting, got out of it and my phone had blown up with the news.

Called around ... sounds like things weren't going well with either. I don't know specifics. Do know neither was going to make an impact this year. Not sure if it was attitude or what. But I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a better deal for all parties just breaking up now and not delaying the inevitable.

Doesn't sound like there is any ill-will on the ISU side. Prohm said he will help both guy find landing spots, but I would be surprised if either are at the high-major level.

Let's all wish them both the best.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
If you watched previous team videos with practice and activities, it showed a disinterested Luke Anderson. Body language was telling.. Mercedes Leech kind of surprising and may sting us a little more than the Anderson departure. Confused with the Anderson signing from the get-go to be honest.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If you watched previous team videos with practice and activities, it showed a disinterested Luke Anderson. Body language was telling.. Mercedes Leech kind of surprising and may sting us a little more than the Anderson departure. Confused with the Anderson signing from the get-go to be honest.

“Disinterested”? How about “a kid who got seriously ill and lost twenty or thirty pounds”? That’s a lot to just bounce right back from.

I’m always amazed at how people people draw inferences from partial (or no) information. For example, Leech didn’t play in Italy because after his transfer in high school, the Clearing House didn’t approve him as eligible until after the trip. But lots of people missed the latter, and jumped to conclusions.

Me? I don’t know what happened with these two kids. None of my business, and I’ll wish them well in the future. At the same time, I won’t be surprised if it turns out there are Clayton Custer-type arguments on this board in a few years regarding both of them.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Luke Anderson kind of always reminded me of the Corey Johnson signing back in the day. Not sure why it happened but it did and I wish him luck.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
“Disinterested”? How about “a kid who got seriously ill and lost twenty or thirty pounds”? That’s a lot to just bounce right back from.

I’m always amazed at how people people draw inferences from partial (or no) information. For example, Leech didn’t play in Italy because after his transfer in high school, the Clearing House didn’t approve him as eligible until after the trip. But lots of people missed the latter, and jumped to conclusions.

Me? I don’t know what happened with these two kids. None of my business, and I’ll wish them well in the future. At the same time, I won’t be surprised if it turns out there are Clayton Custer-type arguments on this board in a few years regarding both of them.
Clanton Custer

• Funny
Reactions: necromancy

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Why? He wasn't a huge get, but he wasn't a nobody either. 247 lists K-State, Georgia, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Xavier and Ole Miss offers.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I'm assuming the timing of both players announcing the day before the game is because they don't want to burn a redshirt thereby increasing their chances of transferring to a better program.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
I’m glad ISU has flexibility with scholarships now but these two are up there with Ray Kasongo in terms of recruiting whiffs for this staff.

Prohm could offer a 1 armed guard and I’d trust him... big men on the other hand this staff is clueless.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm assuming the timing of both players announcing the day before the game is because they don't want to burn a redshirt thereby increasing their chances of transferring to a better program.

Their 5 year clock is still ticking so they would at best transfer at semester and be eligible the second semester of the following year, unless they JUCO.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I'm curious how that would work for them, though. It's probably too late to enroll anywhere this semester, so the earliest they can enroll would be January. So even though they don't burn their redshirt this year, I'm guessing the earliest they could play at a D-1 school would be after fall semester 2020 is over (due to the 1-year sit-out requirement), leaving them 3.5 years of eligibility remaining. Is that correct?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I’m glad ISU has flexibility with scholarships now but these two are up there with Ray Kasongo in terms of recruiting whiffs for this staff.

Prohm could offer a 1 armed guard and I’d trust him... big men on the other hand this staff is clueless.
I wouldn't say clueless. Big men are harder to project than guards. Young, Conditt, Jacobson, Lard were all good pick-ups. You are right about Kasongo, though, big whiff. Then again, he was highly ranked out of high school and a ton of schools offered him so they all whiffed too. Its not an exact science. They are definitely better at evaluating guards than post players.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Never bad to have more scholarship wiggle room.
Did someone say wiggle?
FvMt.gif

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Solomon, Lard (when mentally right), Jacobson, Conditt and possibly Foster=Clueless?

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
Solomon, Lard (when mentally right), Jacobson, Conditt and possibly Foster=Clueless?

gtfo with Foster. Kid isn’t even in college yet.

Conditt COULD be solid but he averaged 2 ppg. Everyone acting like he’s Anthony Davis can calm down.

Hit
Solomon Young
Michael Jacobson

TBD
George Conditt

Miss
Simeon Carter
Merrill Holden
Jeff Beverly
Brady Ernst
Ray Kasongo
Luke Anderson
Cameron Lard…I’ll admit this is kinda a hit but he was such a Shíthead ISU asked him to leave….
Hans Brase… another kid I feel bad for but I don’t know why staff thought he’d work with his aluminum foil knees

I eagerly await all the people chining in “oh but fred screwed him” or “transfer market is tough”

shut up. Prohm recruited those guys. They sucked. Doesn’t make him a bad guy or coach. He’s an amazing person and evaluator of guards but he struggles to identify big men talent.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
gtfo with Foster. Kid isn’t even in college yet.

Conditt COULD be solid but he averaged 2 ppg. Everyone acting like he’s Anthony Davis can calm down.

Hit
Solomon Young
Michael Jacobson

TBD
George Conditt

Miss
Simeon Carter
Merrill Holden
Jeff Beverly
Brady Ernst
Ray Kasongo
Luke Anderson
Cameron Lard…I’ll admit this is kinda a hit but he was such a Shíthead ISU asked him to leave….
Hans Brase… another kid I feel bad for but I don’t know why staff thought he’d work with his aluminum foil knees

I eagerly await all the people chining in “oh but fred screwed him” or “transfer market is tough”

shut up. Prohm recruited those guys. They sucked. Doesn’t make him a bad guy or coach. He’s an amazing person and evaluator of guards but he struggles to identify big men talent.

Yes, he recruited them. Some were recruited out of desperation. It’s still his responsibility but I’ll give them more of a break in year 1 and 2. Things seem to be getting better on that front in the last couple of years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron