Haliburton All-Big 12 Preseason

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Haliburton Named To Preseason All-Big 12 Team

AMES, Iowa – Iowa State sophomore Tyrese Haliburton has been named to the five-man Preseason All-Big 12 team, which was voted on by the league’s head coaches and announced Wednesday.

Haliburton, an Oshkosh, Wisconsin native, ranked among the nation’s top freshmen in a number of categories last season. His all-around game has drawn rave reviews as he averaged 6.8 points, 3.6 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 1.5 steals last season. He became one of just four freshmen in college basketball since 1992-93 to record 125 assists, 50 steals and 30 blocks.

He also ranked second nationally with a 4.46 assist-to-turnover ratio, which included a school-record 17-assist game (Southern) in which he had just one turnover.

Preseason All-Big 12
Tristan Clark, Baylor
Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State
Udoka Azubuike, Kansas
Devon Dotson, Kansas
Desmond Bane, TCU

Honorable Mention: Xavier Sneed (Kansas State), Kristian Doolittle (Oklahoma), Yor Anei (Oklahoma State), Matt Coleman (Texas), Chris Clarke (Texas Tech), Davide Moretti (Texas Tech), Jahmi’us Ramsey (Texas Tech), Derek Culver (West Virginia).

Preseason Player of the Year: Udoka Azubuike, Kansas
Preseason Newcomer of the Year: Chris Clarke, Texas Tech
Preseason Freshman of the Year: Oscar Tshiebwe, West Virginia

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not who I would would pick for Freshman of the year. Tsciebwe will mostly be a rebound and defense guy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Congrats to Tyrese. The campaign for CPOTY starts now.

:)

Sucks they did not tap Jacobson for an honorable mention, however.

A good year from him could put him on the second- or third-team.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Kind of surprised Anei was on there for OSU over some of their other guys like Likekele, Waters or McGriff

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
does the rest of the conference not know that Bolton is eligible?

I'm not sure how you pick Clarke over him for newcomer of the year.

Naming Clarke over Bolton NCOY in the preseason shouldn't be viewed as slight.
Clarke is a grad transfer senior with pedigree former top 100 recruit who produced in the ACC on a VT tourney team. Bolton produced impressively but for a poor PSU team in the Big 10 without much national attention.
Rasir will be very impactfull for ISU and is a dark horse candidate for NCOY at the end for sure, but right now shouldn't be a favorite.

Major Props to Tyrese for making the 1st team as a true sophomore. He's earned it.

I think all of us fans should take a second to appreciate having ISU players making the pre-season team for years now. It isn't a given and shows the talent Hoiberg and Prohm have identified and developed. Good decade to be a Cyclone MBB fan.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Who the heck disagreed with this post and why?

If it is for a reason other than TH being All Big 12 then you are doing it wrong. You don't click disagree to this thread if you think another ISU player should also be listed that is a separate thread. (Edit not to mention a player from another team at a diff position, Geez SMH)

If the disagreement is truly with TH being preseason All Big 12 then, WOW is all I have to say.

TH is ranked in the top 25 2020 NBA Draft prospects by many outlets. You'd think he would be one of the G selections for All Big 12 since he and Dotson from KU are really the only top 30 Big 12 guards listed at this point. Just saying

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
does the rest of the conference not know that Bolton is eligible?

I'm not sure how you pick Clarke over him for newcomer of the year.
Clarke is very good. He'd be my pick between the 2, frankly.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Disappointing to not see Xavier Sneed on first team and Chartier Diarra as an honorable. But these preseason picks are ofttimes proven wrong by actual play, so there is that. Bane would be most questionable followed by Clark. The other three are solid from my eye.

Is this why you disagreed with the thread? Because of Sneed? There really needs to be a test before people post. There is a code that should be followed Surly. I bet you peek over the stall in the men's restroom too, don't you?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Is this why you disagreed with the thread? Because of Sneed? There really needs to be a test before people post. There is a code that should be followed Surly. I bet you peek over the stall in the men's restroom too, don't you?

Your post is hard to understand thus I'm not sure how to respond other than to say Xavier Sneed should have been on the first team. He's really good, senior, leader, and perhaps the best defender in the conference.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: VeloClone

ThePollinator

Nov 29, 2009
Ames
Congrats to Tyrese. The campaign for CPOTY starts now.

:)

Sucks they did not tap Jacobson for an honorable mention, however.

A good year from him could put him on the second- or third-team.
I think Jacobsons impact will be less then last year with Young being healthy. Actually think Young has a better chance of making a post season big 12 team.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think Jacobsons impact will be less then last year with Young being healthy. Actually think Young has a better chance of making a post season big 12 team.

If I were going to predict a post player to make a Big 12 team, it would be Conditt. Media will like his flash plays and block numbers assuming he gets enough minutes. Jacobson and Young are good at what they do but their fundamental game won't show in counting numbers to get the required attention.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron