PJ Fleck legit?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
People here seem pretty invested in the desire that a team we don't even play and a coach with no ISU or Big 12 connections is unsuccessful. Like Fleck stole their toddlers candy or something. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
A Division 2 team is Iowa Central or Upper Iowa.. which is a huge difference between UNI and SDSU. SDSU and UNI would probably be favorites against a team like Rutgers.

No, Iowa Central plays at the Junior College level which is completely separate.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
and Wisconsin is still largely unproven. Everyone remembers the Michigan game but Michigan looks pretty average now.
Yeah Wisconsin is unproven but they've been pretty dominant except for a sluggish performance against Northwestern where they still won by 9. Wisconsin plays a style of football where they will make it a game against anyone. They're true test is @ Ohio State 3 weeks from now and then they have a bye week before they face off against Iowa at home.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't know, Wisky def passes the eye test though. They are solid on both sides of the ball.

They’re good, but they need to beat someone better than Michigan before I’m convinced they’re top 10. I’ve seen them do this too many years in a row and just get handled by the good big 10 teams.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
FCS and D2 are the same thing. So Yeah they may not be D2 but they are a whole level below us in the FCS ranks. If you are trying to say Minnesota has not played anyone, then brag about our wins. You are failing because we have beat lesser teams. TCU is down this year and everyone knows it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They’re good, but they need to beat someone better than Michigan before I’m convinced they’re top 10. I’ve seen them do this too many years in a row and just get handled by the good big 10 teams.
I agree with this, however the problem is they don't play Penn State and Michigan State. So that leaves tOSU, who's tied for 3rd in the nation right now.. So if they lose at home to tOSU and win out, they'd be 11-1 and that's probably worth a top 10 spot.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Some people really live up to their handle don't they?
giphy.gif

Reactions: CyDude16

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't know, Wisky def passes the eye test though. They are solid on both sides of the ball.
I agree - they were a bit sluggish against NW, but that's really the only complaint anybody can make. Michigan got some second half points to make it seem close, but that was a man-handling. No, Michigan is not that good, but their defense is legit, and Wisconsin absolutely ran them off the field.

Wisconsin and OSU will be interesting.

L

LincolnWay187

Guys...kansas is looking like a legit challenger to Clemson..i hope we can best them in a few weeks because it will be a tough earned win.

• Friendly
Reactions: dirtyninety

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Nebraska, Rutgers on the road, and Maryland coming up. Will be favored in all of those. Good shot at 8-0 before they play Penn State.

The final four games, Penn State, Iowa, NW and Wisconsin will determine an okay year versus a good year.

A product of being in the Big 10 West. They could be 8-0 without playing anyone in the top 60 or so. Someone was posting that Baylor has an easier schedule, but I don't see how that can be. Iowa State is better than everyone on that schedule but Penn State and WI. Maybe Iowa, but I would call that a push, or a screw up by ISU>

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
A product of being in the Big 10 West. They could be 8-0 without playing anyone in the top 60 or so. Someone was posting that Baylor has an easier schedule, but I don't see how that can be. Iowa State is better than everyone on that schedule but Penn State and WI. Maybe Iowa, but I would call that a push, or a screw up by ISU>
Baylor had an easier non-conference schedule but so far in conference, they've beaten us and Kansas State. So far Minnesota has played Purdue and Illinois. Both of those teams have combined for 3 total wins and Illinois has wins against the worst team in CFB right now (Akron) and UCONN who is almost at the same level as Akron. Purdue's lone win comes against Vanderbilt, who's also 1-4.

I'm sure the voters know all of this because Baylor is #22 and Minnesota is unranked.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Baylor had an easier non-conference schedule but so far in conference, they've beaten us and Kansas State. So far Minnesota has played Purdue and Illinois. Both of those teams have combined for 3 total wins and Illinois has wins against the worst team in CFB right now (Akron) and UCONN who is almost at the same level as Akron. Purdue's lone win comes against Vanderbilt, who's also 1-4.

I'm sure the voters know all of this because Baylor is #22 and Minnesota is unranked.

I agree, but if MN can beat a very marginal NE and Maryland, they will be ranked, and will have beaten no one.

ISU would be 15th or so if they could have just taken care of business at the end of the Iowa and Baylor games. Arrg!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree, but if MN can beat a very marginal NE and Maryland, they will be ranked, and will have beaten no one.

ISU would be 15th or so if they could have just taken care of business at the end of the Iowa and Baylor games. Arrg!
If Iowa State would've beaten a ranked Iowa team and Baylor would be 4-1, we'd for sure be 15th if not better. That's how it goes sometimes. If we take care of business these next two weeks on the road, count on us being ranked for that Okie State matchup.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
I would just like to add how pathetic Gopher fan following is when it comes to filling up a stadium with capacity of like 50K. And don't even give me the excuse of how there are many pro sport teams and only so many people to support all of them. There are like 3 million people or more within 1 hour drive, and they are the only power 5 team in the state. It will be interesting to see if Nebraska fans outnumber them tomorrow.

PJ is very unlikable, but can do a decent job recruiting and coaching. He needs to start beating ranked teams in order to make that next step, otherwise it's all fluff and fans can see through it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would just like to add how pathetic Gopher fan following is when it comes to filling up a stadium with capacity of like 50K. And don't even give me the excuse of how there are many pro sport teams and only so many people to support all of them. There are like 3 million people or more within 1 hour drive, and they are the only power 5 team in the state. It will be interesting to see if Nebraska fans outnumber them tomorrow.

PJ is very unlikable, but can do a decent job recruiting and coaching. He needs to start beating ranked teams in order to make that next step, otherwise it's all fluff and fans can see through it.
I don't think it is an excuse - just reality. There are enough people but pretty much anyone who didn't go the U never develops the connection because they connect to the pro sports teams instead. After all, the Twin Cities is one of just a handful of metro areas boasting each of an NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS franchise. I would imagine one of the smaller metros to do so as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron