Intermittent Fasting

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I was about 40lbs more than I want to be so 5 weeks ago I thought I'd give it a shot. I know in the end it's all about calories in/calories out but IF isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I decide to try out 20:4. The weekdays are pretty easy but the weekends are a little more challenging(football season) so I've went to 18:6 on Saturdays. The time I eat is between 4-8pm. During fasting I only drink water and coffee. Giving up around 48 ounces of Diet Mountain Dew during the day has probably been the toughest part. So far I've lost about 12lbs.

Anyone else try this?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I was about 40lbs more than I want to be so 5 weeks ago I thought I'd give it a shot. I know in the end it's all about calories in/calories out but IF isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I decide to try out 20:4. The weekdays are pretty easy but the weekends are a little more challenging(football season) so I've went to 18:6 on Saturdays. The time I eat is between 4-8pm. During fasting I only drink water and coffee. Giving up around 48 ounces of Diet Mountain Dew during the day has probably been the toughest part. So far I've lost about 12lbs.

Anyone else try this?

My wife does it. She seems to like it.

Reactions: keepngoal

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Anyone else try this?

Nope. I've gone the other way with it and eat small meals/snacks every couple hours. Light breakfast at 7, snack at 10, protein shake at noon, snack at 3, regular dinner at 6. Reduced my carb and processed food consumption and stopped eating after 7 pm (my biggest weakness). I've found that it's sustainable and not something where I expect to fall off the wagon and put a bunch of weight on.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Just started doing 16:8, debating on taking it to 18:6 as it doesn't seem that difficult as long as I stick with the water. Good luck in your journey!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Anyone else try this?

Im not as hardcore as you are haha but I do a 16:8 M-F, I try my best on the weekends but with kids, sports etc...I'm not as disciplined. I have had a modest weight loss, only about 5lbs but I feel much better. I had problems with acid reflux, that's gone andI plan out my meals better so I am eating healthier. I've been doing this for about 3 months now. I've debated fasting longer but I am pretty comfortable with 16:8 and have my routine set.

A little off topic, Oct 30 I will have been 4 years pop free (just water and beer for me ). I was a 3/4 a day drinker and quiting was brutal, I feel your pain on the Dew. It's crazy how tough that stuff can be to cut out.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just giving up Diet Mt Dew will probably do wonders for a person. I do drink some full sugar versions but try to limit myself to one a day. Just couldn't go full drop. I have done some fasting for a couple days where I just drank water, coffee, and maybe a little juice or kombucha or something. Was never very strict about it. I don't like eating all that much though so it's not that unusual for me.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just giving up Diet Mt Dew will probably do wonders for a person. I do drink some full sugar versions but try to limit myself to one a day. Just couldn't go full drop. I have done some fasting for a couple days where I just drank water, coffee, and maybe a little juice or kombucha or something. Was never very strict about it. I don't like eating all that much though so it's not that unusual for me.

I shouldn't even ask, but you "don't like eating all that much"? Like you don't enjoy the act of eating?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I shouldn't even ask, but you "don't like eating all that much"? Like you don't enjoy the act of eating?

I can relate. I don't have a big appetite, and I don't like cooking. Sometimes eating feels like a chore. That's not to say I don't overindulge in pizza, ice cream, and burritos at times, but I can forget to eat at other times.

I think the formula is pretty simple. Don't eat/drink a lot of sugar. Exercise 4 times a week or more, and you can lose weight. Intermittent fasting is fine, but I think it should be supplemented with weight training. Simply losing weight isn't always a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I've been doing 16:8 Sunday through Friday since the middle of May. Down 32 pounds (258 to 226). Have not really adjusted diet during my eating hours other than trying to (but not always) avoiding fast food.

The other key for me, don't laugh, has been gummy bears. I used to be really bad about kind of eating all day sitting at my desk at work but now I just kind of chew on a few gummy bears during my eating hours at work and that both satisfies my sweet tooth and keeps me 'occupied' so I don't make bad food decisions. Just make sure you steer clear of the sugar free variety :D

• Funny
Reactions: ccruzen

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Haven't tried fasting yet. Had enough of that in HS wrestling to do that again. Currently trying Weight Watchers and having some success. The first few days are the worst, but once your appetite adjusts it isn't bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan23

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008

Anyone else try this?

I've found intermittent fasting is about the easiest way to lose some pounds. I read an article about a guy who tried intermittent fasting by not eating after 8pm, and then skipping breakfast. This was appealing to me because i'm generally not hungry for breakfast on most days, yet i go ahead and eat anyway because "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Add to it that i'm always starving by 10am whether i eat breakfast or not. So for me, skipping breakfast works out perfectly. The added bonus is that i'm asleep for 8 hours of the fasting, so that equals less suffering.

So, on a normal day I almost always workout (run, bike, or strength training) during lunch. That means i'm not taking in calories between 8:30pm - 1pm. Then i eat a healthy lunch, small snack when i get home (starving at this point), and then dinner. No food after 8:30.

Reactions: clone2003

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ups your human growth hormone naturally, burns fat reserves while you are fasting, regulates your gestation cycle. All good in the neighborhood. I suck at fasting but I did it when I was in my late 20's for a while and the weight melted off me.

Last edited:

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Anyone else try this?

Congrats on the weight loss!

Once I get older and my metabolism fades away I'll be doing IF as well. Hopefully that is a long ways down the road

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Tried it but abandoned it when I learned of the teachings of Dr. Steve Brule. Highly recommend to anybody looking for health.

• Funny
Reactions: jcymnsd

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Unless you change your ongoing eating habits, the weight will return.:(

If the fasting is something that drops pounds quickly, the follow up would need to be a sustainable diet.

I've looked into the fasting thing but have just gone with a majority plant-based diet and it works very well. I buy bananas and just snack on those all day. 6 bananas cost like 90 cents and coworkers give me **** for it like there's something wrong with cheap healthy snacks.

I read something recently that habits take 66 days to establish. Patience is key.

Reactions: clone2003

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron