cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Data is not free. As more people start streaming and as more sports are streamed Internet companies will start raising prices big time or put a cap on data. Also streaming services are going to start costing more also because there will be more of a demand due to sports moving to them. People wont be saving much if any

So...again...even if the costs for streaming vs satellite are equal (doubtful that could ever happen)...streaming has a lot more to offer and advantages than satellite ever will! Tell me...if costs were equal what advantage does satellite have over streaming?

I am not happy at all about the ESPN+ games as I have stated earlier...but I can't think of an argument to make me ever believe satellite will bounce back and take back market-share from streamers. I have been streaming for over a year and a half and have never had an issue with it! I love streaming!

• Winner
Reactions: HoopsTournament

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have two major issues with ESPN+ right now.

1. Streaming, even with the quickest and fasted internet connection, is usually waaaaay behind the cable/satellite feed. I can't stand getting text messages from friends about a big play when I'm 30 seconds behind them.

2. I have a two year old 4K LG Smart TV. The problem is it's "too old" and ESPN doesn't have an app that supports this system. What?!?! I'm not about to purchase another TV for a grand or two. If the conference wants to use a platform like ESPN+ it needs to make the app available to everyone.

#2...I get that issue...but you can plug a fire stick or roku stick into it and you will get everything you need and more. Yeah...it is $50 or so but it solves that issue.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
Q: What sports are we talking about here?
A: Non-revenue ones, mostly. The idea is to give women’s basketball, baseball, softball, wrestling and the like a platform. But, yes, the eight participating schools will have one football game per season and a combined “upwards of 75” men’s basketball games on ESPN+.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_35eb5bd1-ba64-591d-a340-f832dd4db5f5.html
Football is not the issue. We are talking basketball games. they have made it pretty clear already that a lot of good basketball games will be on +. Kansas vs. ISU has already been announced as a ESPN+ game.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Football is not the issue. We are talking basketball games. they have made it pretty clear already that a lot of good basketball games will be on +. Kansas vs. ISU has already been announced as a ESPN+ game.
It's certainly has been an issue for K-State and oSu fans who have found themselves on the plus twice already. And football is far, far superior to hoops in viewership.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So...again...even if the costs for streaming vs satellite are equal (doubtful that could ever happen)...streaming has a lot more to offer and advantages than satellite ever will! Tell me...if costs were equal what advantage does satellite have over streaming?

I am not happy at all about the ESPN+ games as I have stated earlier...but I can't think of an argument to make me ever believe satellite will bounce back and take back market-share from streamers. I have been streaming for over a year and a half and have never had an issue with it! I love streaming!
Ease of use. With satellite and cable you generally have to deal with it once every two years or longer if you don’t care about the prices. As I’ve mentioned previously I have crappy internet and don’t have options for faster speeds. I can stream it already but it requires turning on my Xbox getting out the controller and also switching inputs. Is that super complicated no but it is annoying and I’d rather not deal with it.

For someone who is looking to skimp on costs and willing to work at getting the best deals and arrangement it probably works fine. The vast majority of people though are lazy and don’t want to deal with it. The amount I’m willing to spend to just not have to deal with crap is probably in the $30 range. I will stream for some stuff mostly Netflix because it is built into Dish and it doesn’t cost me anything.

People don’t understand that the average person doesn’t want to deal with crap. I know my parents will just not watch the games.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Ease of use. With satellite and cable you generally have to deal with it once every two years or longer if you don’t care about the prices. As I’ve mentioned previously I have crappy internet and don’t have options for faster speeds. I can stream it already but it requires turning on my Xbox getting out the controller and also switching inputs. Is that super complicated no but it is annoying and I’d rather not deal with it.

For someone who is looking to skimp on costs and willing to work at getting the best deals and arrangement it probably works fine. The vast majority of people though are lazy and don’t want to deal with it. The amount I’m willing to spend to just not have to deal with crap is probably in the $30 range. I will stream for some stuff mostly Netflix because it is built into Dish and it doesn’t cost me anything.

People don’t understand that the average person doesn’t want to deal with crap. I know my parents will just not watch the games.

I get that it can be a pain for some who would stream like you do. However many with Roku and/or Fire sticks would use it just like they do with satellite...grab the remote and turn it on! That said...I am a huge proponent of streaming right now but I am not a fan of the deal that will put games on ESPN+. I stated earlier that casual fans won't be able to tune into the ISU/KU game unless they subscribe to ESPN+ already. Fine to some...but that is not a way to expand the fan base. I became a fan when I was young by flipping through the channels (deep in Hawkeye territory, Cedar Rapids) and stopped for a moment on an Iowa State basketball game. Barry Stevens was playing and it was fun to watch. From that moment I was an Iowa State fan and wanted to watch and support Iowa State. Placing games on streaming services only will limit those types of opportunities. Maybe that isn't a big deal...maybe I am romanticizing my youth...I am not being critical of streaming. I love streaming and won't go back...I am just not thrilled with games being on ESPN+!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I get that it can be a pain for some who would stream like you do. However many with Roku and/or Fire sticks would use it just like they do with satellite...grab the remote and turn it on! That said...I am a huge proponent of streaming right now but I am not a fan of the deal that will put games on ESPN+. I stated earlier that casual fans won't be able to tune into the ISU/KU game unless they subscribe to ESPN+ already. Fine to some...but that is not a way to expand the fan base. I became a fan when I was young by flipping through the channels (deep in Hawkeye territory, Cedar Rapids) and stopped for a moment on an Iowa State basketball game. Barry Stevens was playing and it was fun to watch. From that moment I was an Iowa State fan and wanted to watch and support Iowa State. Placing games on streaming services only will limit those types of opportunities. Maybe that isn't a big deal...maybe I am romanticizing my youth...I am not being critical of streaming. I love streaming and won't go back...I am just not thrilled with games being on ESPN+!
Maybe it would be easier if people switched to just streaming and knew that’s all they had to do. As it is I’ve had a ton of trouble explaining to my parents how to watch Netflix. I think they’ve finally gotten it to the point where they can plug in their laptop and stuff to switch but I’ve had to explain it a ton of times. Maybe getting a Roku or similar device would help but it’s just another additional thing you have to buy.

I’m also not really on board with the idea that it is going to be cheaper for people that want stuff. Right now it’s probably cheaper but when the market fragments into all the different services and stuff in order to get everything everyone wants they are going to need to subscribe to so many services.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
i just finished paying out local tv guy $110 to install roku. when the picture came up for espn+, i was unimpressed. reminded me of pre-hd days. but getting a modem upgrade next week, so we'll see.
You paid someone $110 to plug a Roku into your TV?

• Funny
Reactions: dawgpound

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
i just finished paying out local tv guy $110 to install roku. when the picture came up for espn+, i was unimpressed. reminded me of pre-hd days. but getting a modem upgrade next week, so we'll see.

Somebody just made the easiest $110 of his life.

• Agree

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

giphy.webp

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

This cannot be true.

If it is then I'm completely missing a great opportunity to screw over the elderly

• Agree

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The Roku device costs $35. He was here 1.5 hours setting it up. I admit to being completely lost with today's technology. Whatever the case, it's happening in the marketplace. Aaron, my TV guy, has done nothing this past week but set these up in MHK due to the oSu game. The broader point here is that people with money are buying smart TVs or installing devices like Roku to access ESPN streaming. ESPN's strategy is working.

Last edited:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Roku device costs $35. He was here 1.5 hours setting it up. I admit to being completely lost with today's technology. Whatever the case, it's happening in the marketplace. Aaron, my TV guy, has done nothing this past week but set these up in MHK due to oSu game. The broader point here is that people with money are buying smart TV's or installing devices. ESPN's strategy is working.

Aaron is a con artist.

Help Support Us

Become a patron