• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We also have AT&T TV Now. (Used to be DirecTV Now.). It’s a streaming TV provider like sling or YouTubeTV.

I was just making the point that the upcoming Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle is a pretty good deal at $12/month to pick up ESPN+. And for us it will just replace Netflix, so it’ll be a wash.

We also have an antenna that’s hooked up to an HD HomeRun digital tuner, so we can watch over-the-air TV on our AppleTV.

Goodness. DirecTV Now has changed its name?

This is the wild west of streaming. I'm hoping Hulu Live will be bundled too. Wife says the newborn is getting Disney+ no matter what

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I only read page 1 and page 9, so if this was already addressed, so be it. The Kansas @ Iowa State men's basketball game will be on this streaming only ESPN + platform. I'm never going to stream, so they have lost me for this game and others. I'll either go in person or listen on the radio. Seems to me, the ESPN + is going to turn many ISU games from being an easy National Game on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU to a pain in the ass game to see by streaming only on ESPN + App. Bad move for ISU IMO, as this will definitely decrease Iowa State's National exposure. Not an issue for me personally though, as I am just fine turning on the radio to listen to any ISU football or basketball game.
Can not agree anymore Like x1000

Reactions: AlaCyclone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I only read page 1 and page 9, so if this was already addressed, so be it. The Kansas @ Iowa State men's basketball game will be on this streaming only ESPN + platform. I'm never going to stream, so they have lost me for this game and others. I'll either go in person or listen on the radio. Seems to me, the ESPN + is going to turn many ISU games from being an easy National Game on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU to a pain in the ass game to see by streaming only on ESPN + App. Bad move for ISU IMO, as this will definitely decrease Iowa State's National exposure. Not an issue for me personally though, as I am just fine turning on the radio to listen to any ISU football or basketball game.

Yeah, if it's one thing that Power 5 schools are lacking, it's exposure....:rolleyes:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This will all make a lot more sense when the next round of TV contracts roll around. For all of you streaming newbies out there, the quality of your streaming device will either make or break your streaming experience.

• Winner
Reactions: jdcyclone19

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
Adapt or get out of the way
Even listening to Sports Fanatics the other day and they were talking about Dish Network and Chris Williams even said where he lives he cant get quick enough internet to stream things so that is why he is hanging onto dish network for sports and even said he sees things come full circle in 5 years and the cord cutters will regret it

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: SC Cy and STLISU

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Even listening to Sports Fanatics the other day and they were talking about Dish Network and Chris Williams even said where he lives he cant get quick enough internet to stream things so that is why he is hanging onto dish network for sports and even said he sees things come full circle in 5 years and the cord cutters will regret it

Weird because CW has also touted the ESPN+ move by the Big 12 as a forward thinking strategy...

What would cord cutters have to regret?

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
Weird because CW has also touted the ESPN+ move by the Big 12 as a forward thinking strategy...

What would cord cutters have to regret?
Go listen to it if you want. It would be on I believe Thursday in the late 4 o clock hour i think. He thinks satelite tv will come back full force and streaming costs will catch up to satelite prices i believe

• Funny
Reactions: awd4cy

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Go listen to it if you want. It would be on I believe Thursday in the late 4 o clock hour i think. He thinks satelite tv will come back full force and streaming costs will catch up to satelite prices i believe

Even if the cost of each service was equal...streaming still has advantages over satellite/cable. If one has an internet connection good enough to support streaming...what advantage does satellite/cable have over streaming? I can't think of any! So unless the price of streaming surpasses satellite/cable (and it won't)...I don't see any way that happens!

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Even if the cost of each service was equal...streaming still has advantages over satellite/cable. If one has an internet connection good enough to support streaming...what advantage does satellite/cable have over streaming? I can't think of any! So unless the price of streaming surpasses satellite/cable (and it won't)...I don't see any way that happens!
Sling TV / Playstation Vue / Hulu Live TV / Youtube TV are just a stop gap between the traditional cable bundle and the future where the content providers are going direct to consumers. You are seeing the beginning of it with Disney+, ESPN+, Netflix originals, Amazon originals, etc.. The market is going to be much more fragmented than today but hopefully you will have the choice to pick and choose wish services you want and for how long.

The high-priced sports network carriage fees and rapidly increasing re-transmission fees for local broadcast networks is the major sticking point in a lot of the latest round of carriage agreements. You are going to see more and more channels blacked out over these disputes like Dish is currently with regional RSN's, Fox, FS1, FS2. The cash cow for these sports and local networks of asking for ever higher fees is being really tested and it will put a real crunch into the amount of money that will be available for the next round of TV contracts for the various sports leagues.

Reactions: cyfanatic

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Those of you that want ISU positioned well in the next round of contract negotiations with providers should be the first in line to buy a streaming service showing ISU games. It will show the other conferences that we not only have a large fanbase, but one that will pay to watch our team. If conferences are juggled again we would be all that more attractive. They won't go with the UofI already has the viewers in Iowa crap we heard last time around.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

There is no way streaming costs catch up to satellite... Just from an infrastructure standpoint satellite is going to have a much higher fixed cost... Satellite customers are a dying breed and millennial's aren't subscribing, which is a HUGE problem for satellite/cable providers.

• Agree

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I’m not siding either way, but I will say data isn’t free and will continue to go up. Providers have to make their money and wireless spectrum, data lines, and infrastructure still cost money and share holders want theirs. Zero sum game.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

“During Saturday’s Kansas State at Oklahoma State game, our production encountered issues that affected the viewing experience of our fans during brief portions of the game. We apologize for the problems.

“The issues were offsite routing and transmission issues, as well as lightning in the Stillwater area, and were not related to our Big 12 Now on ESPN+ platform. We are working to ensure these isolated issues do not happen again.”

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
I don't understand the hate for ESPN+. Lots of content at a reasonable price if you like sports.

My dislike of this situation is I already pay for ESPN and now somehow ESPN got around their contract with providers and are double dipping on subscribers. When ESPN is no longer in base cable/dish packages, and it's a choice to subscribe or not, I'll be happy. But until then I think this stinks.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011

“During Saturday’s Kansas State at Oklahoma State game, our production encountered issues that affected the viewing experience of our fans during brief portions of the game. We apologize for the problems.

“The issues were offsite routing and transmission issues, as well as lightning in the Stillwater area, and were not related to our Big 12 Now on ESPN+ platform. We are working to ensure these isolated issues do not happen again.”

...as well as putting the logos rightside up on the sideline reporters microphones. Geesh. That's high school 101 simple one would think.

• Agree
Reactions: UNI1ISU2

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I’d really like to hear how satellite tv is going to come back full force. Good luck with that.

Also what are streaming people going to regret? Saving thousands of dollars?

• Agree

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I’d really like to hear how satellite tv is going to come back full force. Good luck with that.

Also what are streaming people going to regret? Saving thousands of dollars?
Data is not free. As more people start streaming and as more sports are streamed Internet companies will start raising prices big time or put a cap on data. Also streaming services are going to start costing more also because there will be more of a demand due to sports moving to them. People wont be saving much if any

• Agree
Reactions: pulse

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I have two major issues with ESPN+ right now.

1. Streaming, even with the quickest and fastest internet connection, is usually waaaaay behind the cable/satellite feed. I can't stand getting text messages from friends about a big play when I'm 30 seconds behind them.

2. I have a two year old 4K LG Smart TV. The problem is it's "too old" and ESPN doesn't have an app that supports this system. What?!?! I'm not about to purchase another TV for a grand or two. If the conference wants to use a platform like ESPN+ it needs to make the app available to everyone.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013