*** Official IOWA STATE VS Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
No one here (except maybe ex-college players, and that's a maybe) is qualified to judge whether a college fb coach in "good" or "bad." Pollard isn't either. He never played football.
All fans (and Pollard) can do is judge someone on wins and losses. And when coaches don't win enough, they're fired. That's what happened to McCarney - and Rhoads.
Cat Stevens' obsession with Mac is pathetic, considering he knows about one one-thousandth about the game as Mac, or any other college coach.

So do good coaches win more than bad coaches?

and lol at the rest. There is a post history feature on this site. You have tried so hard to rewrite the reality of Mac.

and of course you didn’t answer her question.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
No one here (except maybe ex-college players, and that's a maybe) is qualified to judge whether a college fb coach in "good" or "bad." Pollard isn't either. He never played football.
All fans (and Pollard) can do is judge someone on wins and losses. And when coaches don't win enough, they're fired. That's what happened to McCarney - and Rhoads.
Cat Stevens' obsession with Mac is pathetic, considering he knows about one one-thousandth about the game as Mac, or any other college coach.

Do you think Mac was a good coach?

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Right, but yet we are all here judging away. There's a difference between discussing a loss and the mob mentality that takes over on here after every bad thing that happens.

I'm pissed we lost. I'm pissed the offense didn't look good. I'm pissed the defense couldn't make one more stop. I'm pissed we can't get a ******* kicker. But I also think the program is trending in the right direction. I think Campbell makes more good choices than bad. And I certainly don't think he's done anything to be fired. So I think constant ******** about individual games is silly. Today sucked. But I don't think the program sucks.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree with a lot of that.

I will say that hiring a decent OC is a tough thing. I think Pollard made a choice to hire a guy that was going to bring in his staff, warts and all. For the most part, that has worked really well. But by hiring a young guy with not a lot of outside connections, you have some problems.

There's been a tendency for ISU OCs to look pretty bad at ISU and then do very well at better programs with better players.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

BeneventiCy28

Feb 9, 2015
Granger
Lolz. I heard this after the Iowa game. This team just can't beat good teams.
Lolz. I heard this after the Iowa game. This team just can't beat good teams.
we can, but the prime group of the offense went to the NFL. Purdy doesn’t have his 2 biggest options for running or passing now. But I agree In the larger sense that we are inexperienced and the mistakes, both mental (penalties) and physical (missing open receivers, open blocks, etc) that will take time. We miss Peavy more than anyone will ever admit. He was lockdown and we never heard mention of that half of the field, ever.

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
SO FAR. Let's maybe just calm down until we have more evidence.

I think this program has proven over the last 2 years that it certainly can beat good teams.
Yeah, that's why I said this TEAM...this offense can't start or finish. The defense is doing thier job imo. But the offense and special teams can't cut it. I don't see four more wins.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
What’s the point of cheering for a team and then taking pleasure in rubbing other fellow fans faces in the fact that the team lost? Some people man.

I don't take pleasure in it, I just knew where this was going. Is the season over, no, do we lose out, no, I`ve just been on the hype wagon too many times to know we never really reach the finish line. Believe me, I hope it changes, but it isn't the culture, it isn't the fans, somewhere, deep down in the bowels of hell still lives a person who was part of ISU and they ****** us. Look at what happened with the game day weekend. Two stories that won't die.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, that's why I said this TEAM...this offense can't start or finish. The defense is doing thier job imo. But the offense and special teams can't cut it. I don't see four more wins.

That last drive was not the defense doing its job.

I don't know why people aren't seeing that.

Yes, ISU didn't score much but if that had been a shoot out ISU would still need a stop late on defense.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Why do we have to start seasons 1-3 or 2-2? Why do we have to start games slow all the time and usually have to come from behind? It's a problem folks.

We proved in the 4th qtr today that we could score on this Baylor team basically at will.... so why did it take 3 qtrs to actually do it?

I'm tired of everyone saying... "I was just glad to see us come back... go get it next week!". That is SO lame IMO. How many games a year are you okay with saying that?

I still think we are plenty good enough to be 4-0 right now.... but people are happy about just playing Iowa and Baylor close and being 2-2 I guess??? Whatever.
Exactly this team has shown to have weapons on offense. Why do we always get off to slow starts?? Why does it take till 3-4 games into the year to hit a stride.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Do you think Mac was a good coach?
I pl
So do good coaches win more than bad coaches?

and lol at the rest. There is a post history feature on this site. You have tried so hard to rewrite the reality of Mac.

and of course you didn’t answer her question.
People who have played college football at a high level (which sets them apart from you) - Sage Rosenfels, Jack Whitver, Ben Bruns, Seneca Wallace, etc. - call Mac a great coach. Which kinda makes your take irrelevant...
But to my point, which you missed: he didn't win enough at the end, so he was fired.
Good god.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't take pleasure in it, I just knew where this was going. Is the season over, no, do we lose out, no, I`ve just been on the hype wagon too many times to know we never really reach the finish line. Believe me, I hope it changes, but it isn't the culture, it isn't the fans, somewhere, deep down in the bowels of hell still lives a person who was part of ISU and they ****** us.

The road to becoming a big time football program isn't straight. There are fits and starts.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Exactly this team has shown to have weapons on offense. Why do we always get off to slow starts?? Why does it take till 3-4 games into the year to hit a stride.

Because that is what Campbell does. I'm surprised we haven't learned to expect and accept that.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I pl

People who have played college football at a high level (which sets them apart from you) - Sage Rosenfels, Jack Whitver, Ben Bruns, Seneca Wallace, etc. - call Mac a great coach. Which kinda makes your take irrelevant...
But to my point, which you missed: he didn't win enough at the end, so he was fired.
Good god.

Did they tell you that over beers? I have had experience with a lot of former players that loved playing for him, but none of them ever said he was a good coach, let alone great.

And you never did answer the question. Do you think he was a great coach?

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I really want to see the answer to this.
Anybody who says yes is an idiot. Anybody who refuses to recognize Campbell has things he’s outstanding at and things he’s very poor at it, including choosing an offensive staff, is not living in reality.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Anybody who says yes is an idiot. Anybody who refuses to recognize Campbell has things he’s outstanding at and things he’s very poor at it, including choosing an offensive staff, is not living in reality.

But is that very different than any coach? That's the thing. We can't expect him to be perfect.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I pl

Good god.

Do you think people that have played at a high level don’t call Campbell a good coach?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That last drive was not the defense doing its job.

I don't know why people aren't seeing that.

Yes, ISU didn't score much but if that had been a shoot out ISU would still need a stop late on defense.

Agree. Defense has kept us in three games this season, but they have dropped the ball in extremely crucial situations. I am in the camp that Heacock screwed up by not dialing up pressure to start the last drive.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90