Attendance today was subpar

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I got rid of my tickets, so I get it. Was literally in Ames for 16 hours last week. Iowa loss hangover. Grass lots closed. Forecast was horrible. Sub-par opponent.

TBH, we should be thrilled with the crowd we had, not bashing it.
I actually figured it would be worse but looked pretty good at kickoff.
Student section was subpar but I’ve kind of got used to that in the last 5-10 years despite record enrollment.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Minus the top of the student section, the rest of the stadium looked good on TV.

There were some empty spots in the upper deck. But with the weather forecast going into today I don't blame anyone, especially if they were from out of town, staying away especially after last week. Students were lacking, but what can you expect when you shut down the grass lots?

Overall it was a solid crowd for a lower level opponent given all of the circumstances. Look around college football and realize what we have for a fanbase and stop complaining when a game like this comes up once in a while.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Was the student section any more empty than the rest of the stadium? They always move down in their sections so they are more compressed than the general admission sections, leaving all the empties in one place at the top.

Donor sections in the lower level between the 35s looked really bad on TV.

All things considered the crowd was about what I figured it’d be.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I sort of understand why people didn't want to come. The forecast was terrible all week and most of us spent 18 hours in Ames on Saturday. I can honestly say that I wasn't pumped. But I showed up. Because I only get 6 chances to see them in Jack Trice this year.

But, this is why you show up. You get a chance to see history. And more importantly, you show up for the players and coaches that put in so much time.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
A couple weeks ago several posters were saying to not schedule UNI. Look what happens when a non power 5 Division 1 school comes to Ames that is not from the immediate area. Trice is not packed. Weather will frequently be an issue, too hot, too cold, too wet. If opponents are from Iowa or bordering states attendance will be higher than if the schools are farther away. And yes having a winning record and history also has a great impact. So until ISU is a perennial top 20 program, keep UNI on the schedule and keep playing MAC schools.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Are fall Saturdays for tailgating or football games?

I am lucky enough to be able to send my kids to college and still attend games. It makes for a nice Saturday to visit our ISU sophomore on game days.

I will admit to leaving before the end of the game today because we were winning by a ton, but it does surprise me that people spend lots of money to not attend games.

Donation, parking, and tickets run into the thousands. I suppose for some it is a drop in the hat..... For us, the expense and the fun--rain or shine--keeps us coming back and SITTING IN THE STANDS.