Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We'll be heading to MN next week........think we're going to do the Arboretum and zoo? Seem like good options? Possibly, possibly do the mall Friday as I think our hosts are working a partial day. Suppose if we're eating out, should figure out options for that too. I've done zero research on this between work and my grad school application due today.

Whitecastle ;). No in reality probably not.

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
We'll be heading to MN next week........think we're going to do the Arboretum and zoo? Seem like good options? Possibly, possibly do the mall Friday as I think our hosts are working a partial day. Suppose if we're eating out, should figure out options for that too. I've done zero research on this between work and my grad school application due today.
I'd say they are good choices. There are two zoos. I prefer the Como Zoo because it's cheaper (free), more compact and easier to see the animals. The Minnesota Zoo does have more impressive grounds, is more educational, and you can spend more time there.

As for places to eat, I haven't been there in years but Boxster's Walleye sandwich place (Maynards in Excelsior) is fun and has a great deck.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Do the Como zoo for the kid. Not the Mn one. He will like it better and it’s cheaper. Win win.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That is super helpful on zoos. DH will be sad because he'd love to see more bears but free is nice and it sounds like nice gardens around which is good for stroller napping. I'm actually thinking about doing that zoo then trying to do Minnehaha Falls in the afternoon. He can nap in between and continue napping at that park. I need to check the weather too.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
oh wow, gorgeous weather. Hope the forecast sticks! Probably not much for fall color yet then, oh well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Does Como still have the botanical center? That was always neat to visit in the winter. It was the old school kind huge long halls high ceilings not like the one in Des Moines.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'd say they are good choices. There are two zoos. I prefer the Como Zoo because it's cheaper (free), more compact and easier to see the animals. The Minnesota Zoo does have more impressive grounds, is more educational, and you can spend more time there.

As for places to eat, I haven't been there in years but Boxster's Walleye sandwich place (Maynards in Excelsior) is fun and has a great deck.

Finally got to Maynards last week and the sammich pretty much sucked. Such much disappointment. :(

Pretty much everything has gone straight to hell since @cyrocksmypants moved to D.C.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Not to be snobbish, but the Milwaukee Zoo is w-a-a-a-a-a-y better.......

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Better go to an ISU game watch and meet @BoxsterCy and @jcyclonee

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
No excuse. All game watch locations are kid friendly.

there's a difference between kid friendly and toddler friendly! If we were on our own I'd do it but we're supposed to be spending time with BIL/SIL. Though BIL is a grad, don't think he's more than a casual follower.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Is it the Como zoo that has the gorillas? If so, you'll want to be on the upwind side.

As far as eats, you may want to check up on Guy Fieri's Diners Drive-Ins and Dives recommendations.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
there's a difference between kid friendly and toddler friendly! If we were on our own I'd do it but we're supposed to be spending time with BIL/SIL. Though BIL is a grad, don't think he's more than a casual follower.

Is this the dumb B/SIL? Or is that a different relation?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Does Como still have the botanical center? That was always neat to visit in the winter. It was the old school kind huge long halls high ceilings not like the one in Des Moines.
Yes, Como still has the conservatory.
como_park_zoo_sunken_garden_saint_paul_mn_980_550auto_c1.jpg

Definitely a must see with multiple rooms and even a few Bonsai. Make sure after the Bonsai you keep going and see the Japanese garden and tea house if it is open again. They had it closed for a while for some work.
Como_Conservatory_Japanese_Garden_entrance.JPG

We are members of the Minnesota Zoo, but the Como is good too. I'm not sure if it will be open when you are here but there is also Comotown next to the Como Zoo which is a little kid amusement park.

As far as bears go, Como does have polar bears. Minnesota Zoo has grizzlies in the Russia's Grizzly Coast exhibit and black bears on the Minnesota Trail.

The Minnesota Zoo currently has llamas. I'm not sure when this temporary exhibit closes* but it is really cool because you enter this exhibit and there are no fences so the llamas and other South American small animals roam free around you. It is super cool and much different than looking across or through a fence at animals.
c7b0d5-20190523-llama-trek-01.jpg

*I just checked and it closes 27 SEP.
Correction: it is open through 27 SEP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.