Pollard: big announcement coming soon

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Maybe that gets better with athletics running the show and bringing in more revenue with projects like these. I'm guessing the deferred maintenance at the ISC, such as the things you mentioned and the crumbling parking lots isn't for lack of desire, it's for lack of funding.
Very well could be but when you're missing a middle railing under the top concrete rail, the deck is 15' about the ground, and it can get icy, well you can imagine what could happen. That's all in saying.

crazedstatw

Aug 6, 2016
If you’re a 17 year old recruit - whether you are from a big city or a small town - this is going to really resonate. Also, I think Pollard is going to succeed in attracting private investment to support this project. Sports-focused entertainment districts are all the rage nationally and have been money making machines.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
This is a really cool idea and yet sometimes I don't like change.

I wouldn't get all worked up about the parking spots and whether they will be paved or not. This thing is a long ways from being finalized and a lot can change. God forbid, Jamie could leave and the whole thing blows up.

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH! :mad:;)

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You're talking another $100-150 million for some kind of North End Zone seating expansion. Who's paying for that? And who's sitting in those seats? And what do you do about the Jacobsen building and all the current administration there?
No, that’s not what we’re talking about, but nice straw man.

We’re talking about a performance center plus NEZ in the NEZ. That’s not an additional $100 million, not even close. Several places have done that combination for less than the $90 million going in next to the NEZ. What do you do with the Jacobson? The same thing they decided to do with Olson a few hundred feet further north. Or you could integrate it into such a project.

Last edited:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Could be. I just know that the maintenance (snow, missing metal railings, light bulbs, chunks of crumbling concrete) on the old ones that were between Scheman, Hilton, and Stephens started to lapse. They finally took them down and refurbed the existing ones.

Yeah, there is that to consider. It looks cool, but it's probably one of those things that will get cut out pretty quickly due to initial cost and the maintenance costs you mention above.

At least, that's what I'd value-engineer out.

We all know they're going to shoot for the stars, get their first cost estimate, and then say "What can we cut?"

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That’s 65 days massively better than nearly every other restaurant in Ames. The other 300 it’s no worse than a wash, and should be better if done correctly. When speaking of how tough it is for a bar/restaurant, which is true, how many are even comparable to this situation? Average Joe that doesn’t have an innate customer base opening up the 10th generic restaurant on same street.

It shouldn’t be to the scale of the P/L, but it can easily be the best location in Ames given that Duff is a disgusting abomination of late 20th century urban planning with identical options all competing against each other for slim profit margins. And it can be hell of a game day environment.

Many professional venues are exploiting this model, even Green Bay. Generally it happened organically in many college-towns in which the stadium was built near campus, typically called campustown.

Toboggan run off the top of Hilton?

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I really think this could be like a Haymarket area across from Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln NE. A big outdoor courtyard for tailgating, away game watches, basketball pregame/postgame, bars, and restaurants. In the winter they have an ice rink. There is residential apartments and hotels in the Haymarket area. As a former resident of Lincoln, it’s actually a really fun area to be in no matter the time of year. 2571D0B3-A5AF-4257-A1ED-4EE75686F752.jpeg 4DC7EC23-65DB-42A7-BCBA-F14B1F683B0E.jpeg
65F2CAD6-78C4-4B3E-992C-555ED1606ECE.jpeg

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
I like it and hope they do it, but still very skeptical on just how successful it would be. Hopefully it would be though. Have my doubts how many investors/businesses would want to get in on it.
I love it but am also skeptical. Footballl game weekends would be great. But what about the summer and spring? How much use will it see it and therefore how much return on investment for tenants? I can see use of it before basketball games at times also. It's off the path of students (and probably is not supposed to be directed at them as much) and not sure how much they would go out of their way; especially in the cold months.

Cystheman

May 3, 2007
There could be ways to deal with that. Some sort of shuttle system, maybe?
Would be amazing if they built a tunnel from the east lots all the way to Hilton. Its a pipe dream, but one can dream. That winter wind is brutal walking to games.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron