Pollard: big announcement coming soon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JP4CY, Sep 13, 2019.

1. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +24,422 / 844 / -24
    You don't design stadiums for 'selling out the worst game'. At that point you're leaving money on the table from the games that would draw higher attendance.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Male
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,088 / 145 / -3
    So baseball yes or no?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +7,865 / 329 / -5
    Obligatory:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +24,422 / 844 / -24
    That seems farther out than you'd think it would be given they'd announced it already.

5. CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3,519 / 69 / -0
    I loved Campustown when I was in college. But now it doesn't appeal to me. Having some cool bars close to the stadium (the reason I go back to Ames now) would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  6. 2speedy1

2speedy1 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,135 / 76 / -3
    Its not about sell outs its about demand for certain seats. Right now, there is a waiting list for club sections. So in turn if you build more club level sections which are high revenue seats you fill them.

Next we sell out and have a large demand for more student tickets. While this isnt a huge revenue generator, it is a huge fan base generator, and our number of student tickets as far as I know is quite a bit lower than other P5 schools. So increasing the stadium size allows for more student sections.

Next You move lower priced seats into higher priced seats, for instance there are aprox 6000 hill seats, so you will have to replace them with actual seats in the stadium so any NEZ project would actually make those higher revenue seats, depending on how they do a "KIDS ZONE" area. Also you have to realize a copy of the SEZ would actually only increase the capacity a few thousand because it replaces those hills. One similar to Clemson's would not add any, possibly even lower capacity.

Then you talk about 2-3 sell outs per year right now, so if you can sell a few thousand more tickets for those games it is a big deal. And we are at pretty close to Max Season tix sales now so if we want to expand that we are going to need to do something.

Finally, its just about aesthetics and overall design, It will make the stadium look and feel more complete and help with recruiting, recruits like the biggest and best stadium around. Although I think the band-aid they are doing now will help a little.

Expanding the stadium allowing for more high revenue seats, with the possibility of a few cheap seats not selling is still a better idea than not doing anything and having thousands of people wanting the high revenue seats and not having any available. That is where we are right now. You also have to ask if we sold another 5000 or more student tickets would we have a sellout every game? Some colleges have double to triple the size of student section we have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +8,918 / 810 / -15
    Did you copy and paste this from a 2013 SEZ discussion? The same fallacies.

In short, no we shouldn’t wait, for many reasons.

Additional seating or additional capacity? Additional capacity has never been mentioned in regards to the NEZ, although if there’s ever a time to do that, it’s when you’re already building and spending $90 million in essentially the NEZ. Now we’re looking to spend millions more right next to that project. You can build a hell of an enhanced NEZ and performance center that would also serve as an anchor to this fan experience district for what we’re going to end up spending a few hundred feet away.

At least the SEZ holdouts were in opposition to a stand-alone project, so the “waiting for demand” didn’t ignore economies of scale benefits even if it did largely fabricate the expansion myth.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trice

Trice Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +1,724 / 60 / -1
    Kinda makes you wonder why they went down the path with this intramural field renovation at all. If anything, those should be pushed further away from where all the action is going to be.

(And then there's the golf course, though I assume that is privately owned and would be much more difficult to dislodge.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. 2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,135 / 76 / -3
    Hey now I'm hoping to get the "2speedy1" Speed Bump. Maybe you can have a NickTheGreat Oak Tree?

10. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone A lean, mean, fighting machine
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jan 20, 2010
    Male
    Project Manager
    Where they love the governor
    Ratings:
    +5,680 / 78 / -2
    I think oak trees are a ways up the donation ladder. Might be best to set your sites on a shrubbery of some kind. Play your cards right, you can have a couple of them right by the CtownCyclone bench.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. 2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,135 / 76 / -3
    Thats Phase 2. :cool:

12. 2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,135 / 76 / -3
    We are all working on naming rights so if you want to donate for them, they might name them the "cykee05 Hot Tubs" If your lucky you might get one on the Jacobson upper balcony. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +8,918 / 810 / -15
    It’s potentially a red flag that the needed power dynamics to get something like this through aren’t there. Or at least weren’t there. That’s a really valuable location that can only be monetized by the AD. ISU needs a unified front to have any chance at getting a city planning scale project done.

I get the student fees that have paid for P5 sports were leveraged, but P5 athletics are much more valuable to the university and city than recreational services, and decisions should be made as such.

14. Dandy

Dandy Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Future CF Mod
    Western Iowa
    Ratings:
    +11,994 / 421 / -10
    If you win the lottery you're going to buy naming rights to a cinema???

15. Dandy

Dandy Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Future CF Mod
    Western Iowa
    Ratings:
    +11,994 / 421 / -10
    Thief.
    [​IMG]
    (see post 379)

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. 2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,135 / 76 / -3
    Barta, and every Hok after this press release.....LMFAO...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. 2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,135 / 76 / -3
    Mid American's Super CyRide Tram Brought to you by Pioneer Seed Corn hosted by Sukup Grain Systems at Iowa State Center of Iowa Corn.

Edit:pioneer

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Trice

Trice Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +1,724 / 60 / -1
    Yeah, having seen these plans today and imagining their potential for future growth/development, I almost wince when I think of those new intramural fields.

On the other hand, if I recall correctly the intramural renovations were something like $10M. Say this new development takes off and they want to do more in 15 years...you've gotten plenty of usefulness out of those renovations so that's not money wasted. You can always move them later. You just hope the leadership to make it happen is still in place.

19. aeroclone

aeroclone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,171 / 75 / -7
    I would agree as an adult I would be more likely to hit this area while in for a game versus going to Campustown. That said, I'm curious how students would view this? Would students choose to go here over Campustown, thus putting them in competition? Access would be really easy for people living on the east side of campus.

20. flander1649

flander1649 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Kansas City
    Ratings:
    +301 / 14 / -0
    I think this will be great all around. I don't think they will get 100% of what was in the renderings but that is the direction they want to go. I also think this is why the intramural complex project isn't even close to what it was set to be and will still probably change from what they have set now.

The hotel is key and much needed close to Hilton and that area. The entertainment district will be huge for the area if I was a local business I would be fighting to get my bar, store, restaurant in there. This new area will be really close to Greek land and MWL dorms.

There is so much good out of this idea and they can get very creative with what they do.

• Agree Agree x 4