Whats the best stadium you have been

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I had the opportunity to go watch #1 Bama vs #5 LSU in 2012, a night game in Death Valley. Tailgating was phenomenal. Like Ames, very friendly people ready to share their southern food and drink with strangers. The game experience was electric, over 100k in attendance, the roar of the crowd made for an emotional experience for me as I realized I was checking off a bucket list item.
The SEC football experience is another beast.

I was at this game too. Tailgating was great, but I was hoping for a little more hate between the fanbases. LSU was up late and I leaned over to my brother and told him Bama would take it late.

Reactions: ISUATC

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I was at this game too. Tailgating was great, but I was hoping for a little more hate between the fanbases. LSU was up late and I leaned over to my brother and told him Bama would take it late.
It's an odd rivalry.

Not much bad blood historically, as Charlie McClendon was at LSU for 18 or so years, and he played for Bryant @ Kentucky, So, they were always chummy chummy - even when Alabama peeled off 11 straight from 1971-81 (which led to Mac's retirement in 1979). fyi: Alabama leads the all-time series by a 2-1 margin and has been very dominant for most of my life. Alabama literally went from 1971-1998 (13-0-1) without losing @ Tiger Stadium (played back to back there in 1991-1992 - schedules flipped due to expansion).

Basically, LSU has a hard time historically getting over the Alabama hump. Alabama (in a snooty way) just doesn't want to lose to LSU. One thing is for sure though, it is always a physically brutal game for both teams and has particularly been that way since Saban became 'Bama's HC. Glad that you were able to experience it! It's been a long time since I have been to Tiger Stadium (1984 vs. Tulane), but it is one of my favorite venues.

Ironically, of the 5 games I have attended (1978 @ Legion Field, 1983 @ Tiger Stadium, 1984 @ Legion Field, 2005 @ BDS and 2007 @ BDS), LSU has won 3 out of 5 and is on a current 3 game winning streak! FWIW, once Saban retires, I bet it becomes a 50-50 series again for a while.

Reactions: IASTATE07

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
My sister is an Alabama grad. She always said their biggest rival outside of Auburn is Ole Miss.
Hmmm, that is interesting. Was she there for the back to back Ole Miss wins in 2014 and 2015? Probably, just a recency bias thing. It could also be a Greek thing, if she was in a sorority? Alabama and Ole Miss are both way snooty in that department. As for football, Auburn is the the main rival, and Tennessee was the main rival (when Alabama and Auburn didn't play for 40 years) and Mississippi State is the most played and geographically closest rival, but that is totally lopsided, just like Alabama-Ole Miss - which basically needs a Manning to beat Alabama. LOL. I can count on my hands the number of times Ole Miss has beaten Alabama all-time (10). Alabama leads the series 54-10-2!

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I would have guessed Tennessee
For the older folks, it is definitely Tennessee! The Series was tied 31-31-7 in 1970, but Alabama has been on two long streaks since 1971 (1971-81 and 2007-Present) to take a commanding lead in the series. So, to many of the youngsters, Tennessee is just an easy win. To me, "Nothing sucks like a Big Orange!" BTW, Tennessee had a nasty streak of their own during the Fulmer years, but we will not talk about such nasty things! :)

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think it's the whole neighboring state thing like Florida-Georgia.
Yep. Alabama vs. Tennessee ("The Third Saturday in October") is a HUGE Rivalry in the SEC and is Alabama's most important rival after Auburn. They neighbor each other and are the top 2 programs in the SEC Historically in every meaningful category (SEC Championships, wins, winning %, etc.) . The Rivalry was at it's best during the 40 year span when Alabama and Auburn did not play from 1908-47. It is still my favorite Alabama Game every year, even though the Vols have fallen and cannot get back up. :) Beating Tennessee will never get old.

P.S. Alabama and Mississippi also border, but it has not anywhere near the Alabama-Tennessee rivalry.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadeyededric

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
@IASTATE07

Why is that dumb? You ever been to Manhattan? Its a great college town, similar in alot of ways to Ames. From up in the press box you can get a good view of the whole city and the surrounding Flint Hillls. The tailgating is similar to Ames also and the people are generally nice.

The only thing I dont like is those nutjobs from the Westboro Baptist Church like to show up from time to time and try to ruin a good Saturday.

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
@IASTATE07

Why is that dumb? You ever been to Manhattan? Its a great college town, similar in alot of ways to Ames. From up in the press box you can get a good view of the whole city and the surrounding Flint Hillls. The tailgating is similar to Ames also and the people are generally nice.

The only thing I dont like is those nutjobs from the Westboro Baptist Church like to show up from time to time and try to ruin a good Saturday.
I mean maybe that's cool for people that have that type of access but for 99% of the people out there, that doesnt really apply.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
@IASTATE07

Totally love Manhattan and game day there. Like you said, its very similar to Ames. Every time we have tailgated there, KSU fans have been nice, helpful, and welcoming. After some tough losses of recent, they all congratulated us saying they didn't deserve the win. The stadium gets pretty loud, the renovations are nice, and they usually put a respectable product on the field. Downside is that damn 5 hour drive home after a loss.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
@IASTATE07

I haven't been there since the updates, but was fortunate to watch Iowa State win there in 04. Fans were definitely friendly. I rated your post dumb to welcome you back to posting and all the future dumb **** you'll say in the coming months.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I haven't been there since the updates, but was fortunate to watch Iowa State win there in 04. Fans were definitely friendly. I rated your post dumb to welcome you back to posting and all the future dumb **** you'll say in the coming months.

Take a deep breath, I probably wont even post much again until basketball season.

• Dumb
Reactions: IASTATE07

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I would probably rate the stadiums I have been to below based on stadium & tailgating.

College
1. LSU
2. A&M
3. Arizona State
4. Colorado
5. TCU
6. Iowa
7. Missouri
8. KSU
9. Nebraska
10. UNLV
11. Memphis
12. KU
13. UNI

Pro easy - Arrowhead but I do want to go to Lambeau

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I have been lucky enough to have gone to a CFB Game in 74 different stadiums! So, I am going to limit my comments to the Top 5 that I have been to the most.

01. Iowa State Cyclones - Ames, IA: Jack Trice Stadium (45)...Home, Sweet, Home!

First Game: 1989 vs. Ohio Univ. AND Last Game vs. West Virginia in 2012.

02. Cincinnati Bearcats - Cincinnati, OH: Nippert Stadium - Cincinnati, OH (31)

First Game: 2002 vs. TCU AND Last Game vs. Tulane in 2018

03. Northwestern Wildcats - Evanston, IL: Ryan Field - Evanston, IL (24)

First Game: vs. Duke in 1997 AND Last Game vs. B.G.S.U. in 2001

04. Alabama Crimson Tide - Tuscaloosa, AL: Bryant-Denny Stadium - Tusc., AL (17)

First Game vs. Southern Miss in 1971 AND Last Game vs. Mizzou in 2018

05. L.S.U. Tigers - Baton Rouge, LA: Tiger Stadium (15)

First Game vs. Rice in 1977 AND Last Game vs. Tulane in 1984

I lived in all 5 places, which explains the quantity.

My Thoughts:

Alabama and LSU are just totally different animals. Both are HUGE and absolutely ROAR for a big game. There are other stadiums in other parts of the country that are equally as good, but none are better.

My first Alabama game was in the old 59,000 lower bowl only, and the transformation to the modern day 100,000 is unbelievable. fyi: The old lower bowl still stands intact. They just built the upper decks on top of and around it. With the exception of not being 100% seat-backs, it would make some NFL stadiums blush. Favorite Game: Alabama 29 Georgia 28 in 1994.

As for LSU, I love the architecture of the old stadium, but I have not been to a game there since they added the 2nd upper deck. It was still a 79,000 seat stadium when I last visited in 1984 vs. Tulane. Drunk Cajuns can make a lot of noise! Favorite Game: LSU 55 Florida State 21 in 1982.

Iowa State was very average when I went to my first game in 1989. The hard artificial turf was atrocious, not to mention the two open end zones! Glad they fixed both of those issues! Plus, the bathroom and concessions areas need to be re-engineered. The upgrades look fabulous on TV, and I am ready to stand up and ROAR again on 9/14/2019! I am definitely looking forward to going to my first game since 2012 in the 3rd largest stadium in the Big Xii! Favorite Game: Iowa State 17 Iowa 10 in 1999.

Northwestern is a crappy stadium, but I loved going to games there. Pretty cool to take the "L" to the Central stop and walk to the stadium. Their idea of an upgrade was a coat of purple paint and an end-zone garden. lol One of the things that was cool is that there were always plenty of fans from the opposing B1G teams, since Chicago is a B1G magnet. Favorite Game: Northwestern 54 Michigan 51 (in regulation) in 2000.

Cincinnati is an old and very comfortable stadium for a game! They recently renovated it, but that was basically to add some suites on the press-box side. Very small, but very fan friendly. Favorite Game: Miami (OH) 31 Cincinnati 26 in 2002. Just a picture perfect day watching the "Oldest Rivalry West of the Alleghenies", and Big Ben was the RedHawk QB.

Last edited:

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I've been to games at stadiums of the following teams, with my general impressions:

Nebraska - big crowd and stadium, but STAND UP OLD PEOPLE
Colorado - beautiful setting, terrible fans. Running of Ralphie is awesome
Texas A&M - great stadium and crowd, super welcoming brainwashed folks
Texas - surprisingly friendly fans, had fun because of Austin more than because of UT
Oklahoma State - great facilities and fans, had a blast here, really nice to ISU fans
TCU - beautiful stadium, fickle fans - was at their Big XII opener and nobody was there because of "cold" (it was like 55 degrees in the morning)
Kansas - cool campus, nobody there gives a damn about football - wife broke her nose at that game (true story)
Kansas State - fun tailgating, felt like you were on a farm - older stadium, very polite fans
Wisconsin - saw Northwestern @ Wisc, fun atmosphere although disappointed in actual tailgating, I bought the first beer sold at the Union that day
Colorado State - live here now, newest D1 stadium in the country, cool but working out the kinks
Arizona State - went to ISU bowl game there vs. MN, neat stadium, questionable urinal situation

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron