Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So my in-laws gave us a free cruise they got through their time share. Since flying is insanely expensive we are actually thinking about driving to/from New Orleans. Car Gas would be roughly $200 round trip compared to $900-$1k to fly. 14ish hour drive...

Here’s my advice. Everyone does their normal routine except you keep the kids up an hour later than normal. You pack the vehicle during this time. At 1 am you wake everyone up and load them into the vehicle. At 9 when everyone starts waking up, you are over halfway there. You stop for brunch and a clothes change, pop in a longer movie after 15 minutes of driving and now you are close to 11 hours in. Basically down hill slide from there.

Done this many times, but I can function on 3-4 hours sleep. That is a key. (Plus driving with everyone sleeping and no music on.

Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Here’s my advice. Everyone does their normal routine except you keep the kids up an hour later than normal. You pack the vehicle during this time. At 1 am you wake everyone up and load them into the vehicle. At 9 when everyone starts waking up, you are over halfway there. You stop for brunch and a clothes change, pop in a longer movie after 15 minutes of driving and now you are close to 11 hours in. Basically down hill slide from there.

Done this many times, but I can function on 3-4 hours sleep. That is a key. (Plus driving with everyone sleeping and no music on.

Just MrsWx and I on this trip.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
So my in-laws gave us a free cruise they got through their time share. Since flying is insanely expensive we are actually thinking about driving to/from New Orleans. Car Gas would be roughly $200 round trip compared to $900-$1k to fly. 14ish hour drive...
The port seems to be just a few blocks from Bourbon Street. Parking is expensive down there. You would need to find some secured location to park.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just MrsWx and I on this trip.

No kids, that's an easy drive, Either split it into two days and do some sight seeing on the way down, or leave at 5 am and get in between 7-10pm. Enjoy the cruise how many days is it? If you don't mind telling.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The port seems to be just a few blocks from Bourbon Street. Parking is expensive down there. You would need to find some secured location to park.

The ports website lists secured parking for $22/day which isn't too bad IMO. My other plan was to park at the airport for $11/day and Uber in.

No kids, that's an easy drive, Either split it into two days and do some sight seeing on the way down, or leave at 5 am and get in between 7-10pm. Enjoy the cruise how many days is it? If you don't mind telling.

The cruise is Monday-Saturday. My anxiety doesn't like being away from the kids with no contact for that long.

Also F me it turns out we are down there the weekend before the national title game is there. On the plus side we will be able to join in on all the Cyclone festivities before the game!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The ports website lists secured parking for $22/day which isn't too bad IMO. My other plan was to park at the airport for $11/day and Uber in.

The cruise is Monday-Saturday. My anxiety doesn't like being away from the kids with no contact for that long.

Also F me it turns out we are down there the weekend before the national title game is there. On the plus side we will be able to join in on all the Cyclone festivities before the game!
I was looking at the map of the area and it does seem to be a secured parking right by where the Norwegian cruise line is docked. Even at $22/day it's still cheaper than 2 round trip tickets. It really sucks driving down that way. I rode down to a hotel just off Bourbon Street on a Sunday afternoon and it was crazy getting down that way.

download.jpg

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I can offer some cruising pro tips if you're interested...

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Well I can cover for you on the cruise so you don't get too anxious.;):p (JK don't get mad.;))

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Bow chicka bow wow!!
30uTRy5.jpg

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
This weekend Z learned how to customize Lego characters. We had a fun time.She made a Loki headed/spear character she named Lokhor. Once she saved it she said, "Mom you have to be this person too, so we can fight!" LOL

My oldest customizes his Lego minifigs all the time and it drives my wife nuts, she's one step away from Lord Business armed with the Kraggle. He also lost his favorite one, Darth Vader, because he takes his Legos everywhere even after I've explained to him many times that's how Legos get lost with all the small pieces.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Went to the Bare Naked Ladies/Hootie and the Blowfish concert last night. Running on about 3 hours sleep right now. Concert was good though.

Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's how people toughen their feet for being barefoot in the wild on Naked and Afraid, they practice stepping on Legos.
The SNL skit with Peter Dinklage and Leslie Jones is probably the best thing to come out of that show.

I didn't attach it because not sure if it crosses the line or not. They have little blurred areas to cover the "naughty bits" just like on the real show.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Boxster just found you a possible date, Jeannie Rice, 71, just ran the Akron 1/2 marathon in 1:37:07. That's all I know about her she's good at running. You've got to do the rest of the google stalking yourself.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron