Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Went to Michael's today with the fam to pick up one item. After 5 minutes of meandering, I saw the direction this trip was going and I asked a worker where it was. Found it about 30 seconds later.

We left ......45 ******* minutes later!!!

I'm not a man of violence, but I could totally see myself burning a Michael's down to the ground.

I am so proud of you for asking directions! How can I make that happen at my house?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I am so proud of you for asking directions! How can I make that happen at my house?

I don't like not knowing where to go. The only exception to that is if I have no schedule and am sightseeing.

I have zero issues asking where something is in a store. Wandering around wasting time kills me. And if I'm in a store like Michael's where the aisles are narrow and I feel claustrophobic, I'll do anything I can to try to speed things up.

So......you stood in line for 40 minutes or the family filled up the cart with random things. Or in my case, the wife started conversations with random strangers for no apparent reason and killed an hour doing so?

I found the item, then my daughter wanted to look at art supplies. She doesn't really ask for much so I figured I'd suck it up and let her browse. I plopped down next to an end cap and checked my email and CF. Met another dad that looked as defeated as me and chatted. Good dude. Small town guy and his daughter was looking at the same stuff that mine was. They were chatting too.

TIL, there are markers that are $6/apiece. We did not get those.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Finished the side job this weekend (new deck). Glad to have that done, all my side jobs are now completed and I can start on the long honey-do list the vixen has so graciously provided me with. (Stop ending sentences with prepositions!)

First on the list is assembling a PVC pergola up on the deck. Have to do this first as the bird feeders will be impacted, and we don't want our regular clientele getting stressed out because we aren't putting food out for them.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well it was rural CF going to the Cities weekend evidently. Visited Teddy Wirth park and some of those other ones that are all sort of linked together. Those rentable electric scooters seem to be quite popular. Inflatable Kayaks and paddle boards also seemed popular. Not many cute puppies, trails weren't that busy maybe too warm?

How much would it cost to tear down a big old house and do a full rebuild on some of those streets along the lakes? Was surprised to see that being done. Guessing that would be a lot of coin.

Rain today it's a good thing.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Sorry about the vague posting, but I need to say this about a certain person on my Twitter timeline...

Couple of things on this one.

1. Just @ me next time
2. You are married to the king of vague posting. I am shocked when he has a tweet that is not some kind of a vague comment about someone.

Is there a thing as being too independent? Gf says I am and it frustrates her.

Yes. Especially in a relationship. Although it is not intended to be rude to the other person it often comes off that way. Welcome to the world of committed relationships! As long as you are both open about it and don't take it offensively just work on it and you will be fine. Thanks for coming to the Dr WxMan show today!

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV and BCClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Saw the football ad for season FB tickets on TV the other night, it is really good this yr.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Another example about me from MrsWx for @cmjh10 especially when we had the daycare in the house if I came home and there were dishes to be done I would just jump in and do them because there was work to be done. That didn't go over well because she "was going to get to them".

When we are cleaning or doing work around the house she will often comment that I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (not literally but I am going fast or something) when to me I have a job and an objective and I am just working. It just so happens to be at a faster pace or more focused than she is.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Another example about me from MrsWx for @cmjh10 especially when we had the daycare in the house if I came home and there were dishes to be done I would just jump in and do them because there was work to be done. That didn't go over well because she "was going to get to them".

When we are cleaning or doing work around the house she will often comment that I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (not literally but I am going fast or something) when to me I have a job and an objective and I am just working. It just so happens to be at a faster pace or more focused than she is.

Huh, that sounds eerily similar to us.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't like not knowing where to go. The only exception to that is if I have no schedule and am sightseeing.

I have zero issues asking where something is in a store. Wandering around wasting time kills me. And if I'm in a store like Michael's where the aisles are narrow and I feel claustrophobic, I'll do anything I can to try to speed things up.
I offered to go to Hy-Vee for Mrs. Velo the other day because we were having shrimp and we didn't have any ground horseradish for cocktail sauce. She told me it was in a strange place at the store but she couldn't remember where. Daughter and I looked for a few minutes but gave up quickly and asked for directions. Girl we asked didn't know so she had to go get help as well. Turns out it is in the seafood section - I never realized horseradish grows in the sea. I always saw it growing in our yard when I was a kid.

Apparently most people use it exactly as we were going to use it.

(I rejiggered that last sentence to avoid using a preposition at the end of the sentence.)

We never would have found it if we hadn't asked for directions.

• Winner
Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How much would it cost to tear down a big old house and do a full rebuild on some of those streets along the lakes? Was surprised to see that being done. Guessing that would be a lot of coin.

If you are talking Lake of the Isles I think your "teardown" would start at around $2M for the low end lot/house, than add the cost tearing down, designing and building. Lake of Isles has been pretty busy with these the last five years or so. More teardowns but now seeing some where they have worked with at least the existing house structure. At least folks with that much money aren't using a builder McMansion designer but hiring a real house architect. In a hood of big houses the new designs don't look that out of place to me. I get it, the place is where I'd love to live* if I was a 1 percenter and I get that the old houses ain't everyone's cup of tea with little rooms, little closets, old baths and kitchens.

* As it is at least I get to bike by and sometimes gawk. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.