Last Chance U - Netflix Documentary

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I understand Netflix approached IWCC at least informally about being featured in season 5 and they were not interested.

I also hope that they go to a new school. 2 seasons each at EMCC and Indy helped to keep it fresh.
I wouldn’t be mad if they went back to emcc. Would like to see what buddy is up to.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I wouldn’t be mad if they went back to emcc. Would like to see what buddy is up to.

That guy sucked, but I’d watch.

I’m curious who takes that call from Netflix. I want more seasons, it’s an insight into the JUCO system that I really never had, but it seems like it’s likely to end in disaster too. High level JUCO ball seems to hang by a thread regardless.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I’m curious who takes that call from Netflix. I want more seasons, it’s an insight into the JUCO system that I really never had, but it seems like it’s likely to end in disaster too. High level JUCO ball seems to hang by a thread regardless.

It's that way in basically most sports. Know a couple JUCO wrestling coaches, a JUCO men's Basketball coach, know several that have played football, basketball and wrestled at JUCOs and it doesn't end as a success for most.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Agreed.
There is a component of the drama caused by the coaches That is somewhat entertaining.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Agreed.
There is a component of the drama caused by the coaches That is somewhat entertaining.

They’re a lot like the players. No one wants to be there but it’s a necessary stepping stone for guys who have failed at their last stop.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I know they won the National Title the last 2 Years after the camera crews left.

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
It's funny whenever some dorky white kid tries to talk like he's black, thinking it's cool. Newsflash, Jethro, the black kids make fun of you behind your back and they think you are lame!

But then you have a dumb 40-something year old doing it and that is a whole new level of douchiness. Grow up, JB... You're old, fat and nobody likes you. I hope he doesn't get another coaching job anywhere.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It's funny whenever some dorky white kid tries to talk like he's black, thinking it's cool. Newsflash, Jethro, the black kids make fun of you behind your back and they think you are lame!

But then you have a dumb 40-something year old doing it and that is a whole new level of douchiness. Grow up, JB... You're old, fat and nobody likes you. I hope he doesn't get another coaching job anywhere.

Any team that would hire this guy would be dumb. He can't do high school. No way you can have a guy that drops that many f Bombs and drinks that much can be a high school coach.

He is currently on felony charges for blackmail, Signing false docs and some other stuff.

Plus, I mean he is not that good of a coach. He seemed to get stuff done at ICC in the way of getting facilities done. However, his team last season sucked and they were loaded with Talent.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Any team that would hire this guy would be dumb. He can't do high school. No way you can have a guy that drops that many f Bombs and drinks that much can be a high school coach.

He is currently on felony charges for blackmail, Signing false docs and some other stuff.

Plus, I mean he is not that good of a coach. He seemed to get stuff done at ICC in the way of getting facilities done. However, his team last season sucked and they were loaded with Talent.

Regarding your first paragraph, you don’t know a lot of HS coaches do you? Sons team has one pretty similar and a HC that isn’t too far off.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Regarding your first paragraph, you don’t know a lot of HS coaches do you? Sons team has one pretty similar and a HC that isn’t too far off.

The difference is this guy is over the top on the swearing and it's been on TV how he treats kids.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

No way defending this guy in any way shape or form....as far as talking the way he does you have to remember where he grew up at. Compton and I'm guessing there weren't a lot of other kids to talk hillbilly with.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The difference is this guy is over the top on the swearing and it's been on TV how he treats kids.

The treatment is poor, goes back to 70/80s style. The swearing.......I know one specific HS where the HC was contacted and then schoolboard because Browns locker room speeches was this assistance’s game voice. If he didn’t squeeze in an F bomb every third word, they questioned if he was feeling ok. He is a guy who stills thinks HS football is the pinnacle of life. Another parochial school HC is almost as bad, but you can’t go much higher than him since he is also the super at the school. My HS, in the 80s coach tried to groin kick me, thankfully I moved enough that he just grazed the side, and would waylay you along side the helmet if you messed up in practice and this guy is still coaching. There are still a few really bad coaches in the HS ranks out there.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Binged watched on Saturday. Both seasons at Indy have left me so impressed with the assistant coaches and academic support staff. You can tell they genuinely care. I thought this season's most interesting story line was the younger Coach Martin. Just a neat story with his spouse sticking with it and believing in his dream. I hope he makes it D1. Same thing for last year's QB coach.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38 and DSMCy

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Binged watched on Saturday. Both seasons at Indy have left me so impressed with the assistant coaches and academic support staff. You can tell they genuinely care. I thought this season's most interesting story line was the younger Coach Martin. Just a neat story with his spouse sticking with it and believing in his dream. I hope he makes it D1. Same thing for last year's QB coach.

Yeah I hope those coaches don't get stuck in the Juco level. I looked up some of the guys from season 3 and found out that some are now at like FAU and schools like that. I am wondering where the quarterbacks coach who resigned will end up. The season 4 guy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The treatment is poor, goes back to 70/80s style. The swearing.......I know one specific HS where the HC was contacted and then schoolboard because Browns locker room speeches was this assistance’s game voice. If he didn’t squeeze in an F bomb every third word, they questioned if he was feeling ok. He is a guy who stills thinks HS football is the pinnacle of life. Another parochial school HC is almost as bad, but you can’t go much higher than him since he is also the super at the school. My HS, in the 80s coach tried to groin kick me, thankfully I moved enough that he just grazed the side, and would waylay you along side the helmet if you messed up in practice and this guy is still coaching. There are still a few really bad coaches in the HS ranks out there.

Grazing can be just as bad...

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone and jmb

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I think the coaching drama has been intriguing but would agree with some of you - let's see a new school. I would be interested to see a JUCO program that has a team mentality and a coach that can actually coach (maybe it doesn't exist and actually sounds boring as I type this out).

Both Buddy and Jason have a knack for recruiting, so their strategy is to get the best players and then out-talent the competition. But both have egos larger than their brains and were not very good in-game coaches.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Binged the whole season today. Thought it was better than last year. Hope they go somewhere else if they decide on a season 5. Seemed like the IWCC coach would be down for it although you don’t get the crazy coach story lines.

I thought the same thing. Thinking more about it, I'm not sure if it was actually better or if I was just more aware of the S-show it was leading into it. Still one of my favorite (from entertainment standpoint) shows to pop up in the last few years. Such a unique look into interesting situations.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Yeah, seems like a lot decent guys just trying to get a foot in the door and their career is in the hands of a complete moron who’ll throw you under the bus when it’s convienent.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan32

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I think the coaching drama has been intriguing but would agree with some of you - let's see a new school. I would be interested to see a JUCO program that has a team mentality and a coach that can actually coach (maybe it doesn't exist and actually sounds boring as I type this out).

Both Buddy and Jason have a knack for recruiting, so their strategy is to get the best players and then out-talent the competition. But both have egos larger than their brains and were not very good in-game coaches.

I'd enjoy it if they keep the same pace, 2 years then move on to the next one. Nice to see familiar faces, but also nice to see new ones as well as locations/facilities.

I think the recruiting part is huge. I believe the show would be far less entertaining if there weren't P5 guys dropping down with the varieties of baggage they carry. Managing the personalities on and off the field is the draw for me on this one.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I thought the worst part of Jason Brown besides all his nonsense was him getting mad at players and just cutting them. Like they were in the NFL. These are kids he recruited to come to the school, they pay the money to attend, then he just cuts them if they don't have a good practice. I didn't even realize you could just cut a kid.

I would like to see them move next year to Garden city CC. That coach is crazy also, but seems to run a better program.

Last edited: