Last Chance U - Netflix Documentary

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Just some random thoughts on this season...

The players. My God, their verbal language skills are terrible, academically their atrocious and they have absolutely no desire to go to class, but damn, you have to love some of them as people regardless. As I sat there I wanted to see them succeed so badly, but many just don't have the tools to do so.

The coaches. My heart was breaking for the D-coordinator that brought his family from Cali to Kansas. Their living conditions we deplorable and the hours grueling. Throw coach Brown in the mix and I felt I was looking at hell on Earth basically.

The wide receivers coach, dude wasn't even old enough to drive was he?

All in all it was a rotten culture with a more rotten leader. Yes winning fixes all that, but when you're not winning, every negative is magnified exponentially. It's hard to pull positivity and a winning season out of that culture.

You we entertaining Jason Brown, but good riddance.

Last edited:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I also imagine that after you lose a couple no one is interested in the rest of the season aside from trying to play somewhere else next year. The Iowa Western coach even said it on the sideline to his guys, keep pushing and they will self destruct, or something close to that.
I thought that was a more a statement of how mentally-weak JB's team is. As in, once they get down or hit bad times, they never recover... which does seem to be a consistent theme this season.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames

The players. My God, their verbal language skills are terrible, academically their atrocious and they have absolutely no desire to go to class, but damn, you have to love some of them as people regardless. As I sat there I wanted to see them success so badly, but many just don't have the tolls to do so.

The coaches. My heart was breaking for the D-coordinator that brought his family from Cali to Kansas. Their living conditions we deplorable and the hours grueling. Throw coach Brown int he mix and I felt I was looking at hell on Earth basically.

Allin all it was a rotten culture with a more rotten leader. Yes winning fixes all that, but when you're not winning, every negative is magnified exponentially. It's hard to pull positivity and a winning season out of that culture.

Jeez speaking of atrocious grammar.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

The players. My God, their verbal language skills are terrible, academically their atrocious and they have absolutely no desire to go to class, but damn, you have to love some of them as people regardless. As I sat there I wanted to see them success so badly, but many just don't have the tolls to do so.

The coaches. My heart was breaking for the D-coordinator that brought his family from Cali to Kansas. Their living conditions we deplorable and the hours grueling. Throw coach Brown int he mix and I felt I was looking at hell on Earth basically.

Allin all it was a rotten culture with a more rotten leader. Yes winning fixes all that, but when you're not winning, every negative is magnified exponentially. It's hard to pull positivity and a winning season out of that culture.

Nobody ever accused these kids of being bright... For most of them, that's exactly why they're at a JUCO in the first place. However, that doesn't make them bad people. Hell, the JUCO staff are miracle workers with how much effort they show them putting in to work with these kids.

Brown doesn't really seem like a good person, though. He puts off that image at times, but his candid remarks often contradict his occasional good behavior.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I wish someone would hire the defensive coordinator on a D1 staff. That poor guy. Just hire him as a defensive backs coach and he will be making more money and have wayyyy better living conditions.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I recall one game (maybe vs Iowa Western?) that he was fuming from penalties being called on his squad. He said something along the lines of why do they even play teams in Iowa and that he never wanted to come back to the state. I think everybody from Iowa would approve and support that request!

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
As much as I do feel for the staff and some of the individuals that had more exposure during the show (like the DC being discussed), I can't feel that bad for them. He seemed like a "good guy" (no reason not to think so), but he applied/accepted the position. Something must be missing if that's the best spot he can land, especially if he was sticking around at the end of the season after being fired/rehired.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
As much as I do feel for the staff and some of the individuals that had more exposure during the show (like the DC being discussed), I can't feel that bad for them. He seemed like a "good guy" (no reason not to think so), but he applied/accepted the position. Something must be missing if that's the best spot he can land, especially if he was sticking around at the end of the season after being fired/rehired.

It's called being scared for your future and knowing your wife is going to that very school you just got fired from. Many of the other season 3 coaches went on to get better jobs. He must be thinking he can move on also but has not got the offer yet.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
BTW the President of the college ICC. The one that actually came off looking pretty decent is an Iowa State Grad.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Barwick? He's an Iowa grad, amongst other places. He also resigned from ICC last month; have to wonder if that's related to what happened with JB recently.

His wiki says Iowa State. Hmm. Yeah either that or he was sick of that job and a private sector job offered him a ton of money to be a CEO

Edit. Just saw that it does say Iowa. I missed the period and read Iowa State.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
It's called being scared for your future and knowing your wife is going to that very school you just got fired from. Many of the other season 3 coaches went on to get better jobs. He must be thinking he can move on also but has not got the offer yet.

I'm sure they were scared for their future, the wife said as much. But it's not like she was getting an elite ICC degree that wasn't available elsewhere or online.

He probably does believe there is a possible upgrade in the future, but if he can't find a better situation (mainly program culture) than what was there then I wouldn't be putting my family's livelihood at risk with that dumpster fire. Maybe if it was year 1 for him and he didn't realize the toxicity of the situation, but he was returning to a known set of circumstances that treated him like dirt previously.

Luckily for him and his family, JB's actions caught up with him and hopefully the DC can benefit from what should be at least a more stable setup.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
His wiki says Iowa State. Hmm. Yeah either that or he was sick of that job and a private sector job offered him a ton of money to be a CEO

Edit. Just saw that it does say Iowa. I missed the period and read Iowa State.
What I read was that he "resigned to take a consulting job". The lack of details surrounding the whole ordeal, as well as the seemingly-unceremonious departure, strike me as "odd"... Then again, it's just a JUCO.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
BTW the President of the college ICC. The one that actually came off looking pretty decent is an Iowa State Grad.

What? Pretty decent? He comes off as looking like someone who always wanted to be an athlete but had no talent so he really want's to be a high level AD but he's not good enough for that so he takes a JUCO Presidents job to be a de facto AD there and waste a bunch of money.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Binged the show Sun/Mon and thought season 4 was pretty weak. The players highlighted didn't interest me much. KD the d-lineman from LA has the same schtick each episode. The academic staff definitely earned their pay helping that group and their desire to teach in a difficult environment was admirable.

The one aspect of JUCO football that was brought up in one of the last couple shows was the financial impact that football has the viability of Junior Colleges. There was some back and forth where the President of ICC said there were 0 kids on scholarship vs.Jason Brown and players indicated there were 200. I am curious to how it works.

Even though kids don't get scholarships, is 100% (or a high % based on financial need) of their tuition, room & board paid through Federal Government financial aid? So having 200 football players at ICC becomes a critical cash flow stream for the school and without it the school might not exist. Especially if the school collects "out of state" tuition vs. in-state.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I'm sure they were scared for their future, the wife said as much. But it's not like she was getting an elite ICC degree that wasn't available elsewhere or online.

He probably does believe there is a possible upgrade in the future, but if he can't find a better situation (mainly program culture) than what was there then I wouldn't be putting my family's livelihood at risk with that dumpster fire. Maybe if it was year 1 for him and he didn't realize the toxicity of the situation, but he was returning to a known set of circumstances that treated him like dirt previously.

Luckily for him and his family, JB's actions caught up with him and hopefully the DC can benefit from what should be at least a more stable setup.

I would assume the exposure he was going to get from the show was big in his decision making process. That to me would seem like a pretty good job interview

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I would assume the exposure he was going to get from the show was big in his decision making process. That to me would seem like a pretty good job interview

Agreed, exposure certainly would come from the number of eyes on the series. The show is more focused on the drama than the Xs and Os though, too. At least the personality displayed is positive for him working through the obstacles he did.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet