N'Faly Dante

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not unexpected... guess we could hear of an ISU visit scheduled too soon.

@TiptonEdits 2020 five-star N’Faly Dante tells @TiptonEdits he will be visiting Kentucky June 27-29. Could potentially reclassify to 2019.

@nfaly_dante12

Jake W. in response to Dante's planned visit. "likely to stay in 2020" part that is notable, for obvious reasons.

@jakeweingarten More Jake Retweeted TIPTON EDITS
Good scoop from my guy Joe here. It’s likely Dante stays in 2020, but big visit for Kentucky nonetheless. Michigan State, Iowa State, others are heavily involved.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Pretty sure even if you are considered on academic you still count towards the scholarship limit for the team. If not this would be a massive loophole that everyone would be using all the time.

Not necessarily - Steyer is a National Merit Scholar and on a scholarship from them. It may have something to do with who awards the scholarship.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman
D

Deleted member 8507

Mark Urquhart was a Merit Scholar. Who remembers him???
Not just a Merit Scholar. Wasn't he a Rhodes Scholar?
And if I remember correctly, he was either pre-Med or pre-Law at ISU.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Academic scholarship questions from above.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=25624#result

Good luck with that. A lot of indefinite language leaves a lot of wiggle room for interpretation.
Generally speaking, a student can receive academic scholarship and still play athletics. (Note that the NCAA has requirements for accepting that a scholarship is truly academic.) This is really just an accounting difference for the given school. And that is because the real question comes down to whether or not that academic scholarship still counts against the athletic scholarship limit.
And that issue is given a circular definition by the NCAA:
"A "counter" is an individual who is receiving institutional financial aid that is countable against the aid limitations in a sport."​
Well duh!

I have a vague memory (that might be totally wrong) that an academic scholarship would not count against a scholarship limit if the athlete was not otherwise offered an athletic scholarship to any comparable school. In other words, if an athlete has no Div I athletic scholarship offers, then they can receive an academic scholarship and be an athlete at a Div I school without counting against that school's sport's scholarship limit.

Bylaw 15.02.9 at least indirectly seems to imply such a distinction:

Recruited Student-Athlete. For purposes of Bylaw 15, a recruited student-athlete is a student-athlete who, as a prospective student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, Revised: 4/25/18)

(a) Was provided an official visit to the institution's campus;

(b) Had an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with a member of the institution's coaching staff (including a coach's arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's family members); or

(c) Was issued a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of athletically related financial aid by the institution for a regular academic term.
And further:
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=8804

Bylaw 15.5.1.1 explicitly refers to a recruited student-athlete being a Counter. It does not explicitly state that a non-recruited student-athlete isn't a Counter, but I would argue it is implied.
Bylaw 15.5.1.1.1 is an explicit exception to a recruited student-athlete being a Counter. I think I understand it to say that a student-athlete can be recruited and can receive an academic scholarship and NOT be a Counter IF they receive a "true" and "usual" academic scholarship AND they first complete one academic year of full-time enrollment while achieving a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Does that basically mean you have to earn the scholarship, and prove you deserve it with a 3.0 gpa during a redshirt year?

Oh -- and there are different rules for different sports.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The former kicker for the Texas State Armadillos?
DeepOptimisticGonolek-size_restricted.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron