N'Faly Dante

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
FIFY

Not Brown. Brown. Brown.
Matt Groening's love for ripping on Brown is unmatched haha

brown-uni.png

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not unexpected... guess we could hear of an ISU visit scheduled too soon.

@TiptonEdits 2020 five-star N’Faly Dante tells @TiptonEdits he will be visiting Kentucky June 27-29. Could potentially reclassify to 2019.

@nfaly_dante12

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Could they talk someone like MJ to walk on? He does come from $$ and his family could afford a year of college...wouldn't be ideal but CSP doesn't have a kid on scholarship that he can have walk on.

I think Mike could possibly go academic for a year, I mean with his GPA he has to be in the ballpark.

Reactions: Cytown12

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Paul Shirley was on a National Merit scholarship for his Freshman year, but doesn’t look like it’s possible to give academic scholarships to non-freshmen. Don’t know if any of the incoming class meet the requirements or not, but I’m guessing Prohm has a contingency plan.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Pretty sure even if you are considered on academic you still count towards the scholarship limit for the team. If not this would be a massive loophole that everyone would be using all the time.

So an Iowa State student that has an academic scholarship can't tryout and be a walk on?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So an Iowa State student that has an academic scholarship can't tryout and be a walk on?

I believe it can't be an ISU scholarship but if the kid was awarded one from an outside source then it's fine. For example I had a Marine Corp scholarship when I was a walkon and had a friend who had an academic scholarship (not a ISU fund) who was also a walkon and we didn't count against the limit.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I believe it can't be an ISU scholarship but if the kid was awarded one from an outside source then it's fine. For example I had a Marine Corp scholarship when I was a walkon and had a friend who had an academic scholarship (not a ISU fund) who was also a walkon and we didn't count against the limit.

That still sounds like a loophole.

I might not have an "academic" scholarship (on my 2.4 GPA but, hey, at least I got a B+ in Pottery III... a class that was legitimately a class at my high school sigh...) from Alabama, but I do have one from the Boss Hogg Fund for Underprivileged Football Players.

They said my story was truly an inspiration to us all at the awards banquet in Birmingham.

• Funny
Reactions: Doc and hoosman

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He is and he isn’t. No one at isu actually believes they’ll land him but they need to play the politics since he’s from a good prep school and he’s a semi-local kid. He’ll visit ISU to see a football game or something. Bet he comes for the ISU/Iowa game.

There’s questions if he’ll even qualify academically for college since he’s foreign and his prep school is a glorified diploma mill. He could get into LSU or Oregon though, they take anyone.

Sunrise Christian has put a ton of kids in college. If it is an academic issue, it wouldn't be because of them.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I might not have an "academic" scholarship (on my 2.4 GPA but, hey, at least I got a B+ in Pottery III... a class that was legitimately a class at my high school sigh...) from Alabama, but I do have one from the Boss Hogg Fund for Underprivileged Football Players.

They said my story was truly an inspiration to us all at the awards banquet in Birmingham.

By outside source I meant ones like your high school might give or the local 4H chapter. Not from "Curt's Foundation for Smart and Gifted Football Player's".

It's complex and why they have a compliance office.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
By outside source I meant ones like your high school might give or the local 4H chapter. Not from "Curt's Foundation for Smart and Gifted Football Player's".

It's complex and why they have a compliance office.
Yeah, I had several scholarships none of which affected my eligibility. What did affect my athletic career was my lack of athletic talent.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa

I can't find the link but the NCAA also has rules for legitimate academic scholarships.Off the top of my head I believe it was Top 10% of class, 3.5 GPA, and minimum SAT/ACT score requirements