Leath Out at Auburn

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
giphy.gif

I see Leath, Pearl, and Chuck Person in there. Wondering if the plane was overweight with suitcases full of cash to recruits?

Maybe Leath got wind of the NCAA investigation with the BB program and bailed with a gold parachute.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've boarded a plane on my way back to coach and Geoffrey was sitting in First Class. I believe I also saw Leath there whilst he was at ISU.

Reactions: JMA1125

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I see Leath, Pearl, and Chuck Person in there. Wondering if the plane was overweight with suitcases full of cash to recruits?

Maybe Leath got wind of the NCAA investigation with the BB program and bailed with a gold parachute.

Gotta keep that DC-3 you've got hidden on a remote jungle landing strip fully-fueled and ready to go on 15 minutes of notice, if you are playing the game correctly.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.oanow.com/opinion/colum...cle_a6cd5f3e-978e-11e9-a204-ff7a8d99f56e.html

Jetgate II..

Steven Leath may aspire to great things in academic research, and he may know how to fly an airplane, but when it comes to SEC sports, Leath doesn’t know diddly.

Well, he might now.

Leath rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way with his sometimes blunt and abrasive approach, and with his dogmatic ownership of matters including in sports, various sources have told me. But people, especially in the politics of academia, will say that about most presidents, or something similar.

Not surprising since, speaking of diversity, a university faculty will have viewpoints and expectations that will come from all directions, with many different ideas on how best to run a university. Perfection and popularity never will be easy to find.

Throw athletics into the picture, and you might as well turn loose a porcupine in a nudist colony.

Last edited:

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...h-auburn-university-president-resign-20190713

Auburn paying former ISU President Steve Leath $4.5M to leave

The Alabama university is paying Leath the amount in three equal installments of $1.5 million, according to documents newly released to The Gazette in response to a public records request.

Five years of his base pay at Auburn, plus the incentive, would have netted Leath $4.375 million. But his $4.5 million separation payout comes in addition to the two years of pay Leath already earned — meaning Auburn will have compensated Leath $5.75 million despite him serving only two years.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...h-auburn-university-president-resign-20190713

The Alabama university is paying Leath the amount in three equal installments of $1.5 million, according to documents newly released to The Gazette in response to a public records request.

Five years of his base pay at Auburn, plus the incentive, would have netted Leath $4.375 million. But his $4.5 million separation payout comes in addition to the two years of pay Leath already earned — meaning Auburn will have compensated Leath $5.75 million despite him serving only two years.
That’s eye opening.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

My dream is to f-up at my company so badly that I get paid large sums to leave.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/167373-steven-leath-out-as-au-president/

Lots of pages from Auburn's message board, but enjoyed this post:

"Apparently he and his wife were on a plane within hours after the BOT meeting. There will be someone to come in and pack up all their stuff to move it. Definitely a quick exit."

"He was a bad fit from day one. He was a pompous ***. His coronation was fit for a King (not how we do it at Auburn), did not listen to board members who hated the Gus’ contract, wanted Bruce fired, he and his wife were total divas about the mansions (4 million over budget, they were ripping up tile, color, walls, the furniture, etc). It was all about him from his executive cabinet to dealing with the Academic side. To settle things down Auburn BOT suggested he make General Burgess the COO (a great Auburn Man. Google him) and that helped be a bandaid."

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: VeloClone and Cycsk

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I know he and his wife put some money in the Knoll when he was at ISU as well. The only thing that bothered me was that they put a fence around the entire mansion. Silver lining was they had awesome dogs who would meet you by the fence.

When Geoffrey was president, if you were out sleighing on their hill, his wife would bring out hot chocolate.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Jeez, I'd be willing to leave Auburn for half that much money :)