***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, May 29 will make a lot of things clearer for a lot of teams/players.

Is there anything final about the 29th? I thought I've heard the player can go through the draft undrafted and still come back? That not correct?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is there anything final about the 29th? I thought I've heard the player can go through the draft undrafted and still come back? That not correct?

That's an NCAA-approved rule that both the NBA and NBAPA have to sign off on before it goes into effect. For at least this year the deadline for an early entrant to withdraw from the draft and return to school is May 29.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

That’s pretty big. A lot of west coast kids will be able to stay on west coast without having to do down to a mid major

I would assume this will put pressure on all the conferences to at least vote on changing their rules to lift any extra interconference transfer penalty in the next couple of years.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
That's an NCAA-approved rule that both the NBA and NBAPA have to sign off on before it goes into effect. For at least this year the deadline for an early entrant to withdraw from the draft and return to school is May 29.
I'm sure there is an explanation, but how does the NBA and the NBAPA restrict a player from returning to school, when the NCAA allows it? Or do they simply not allow them to enter the draft the following year? Essentially you can only submit your name into the draft once? So you can go back to school, but can't be drafted after that?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm sure there is an explanation, but how does the NBA and the NBAPA restrict a player from returning to school, when the NCAA allows it? Or do they simply not allow them to enter the draft the following year? Essentially you can only submit your name into the draft once? So you can go back to school, but can't be drafted after that?

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...player-cant-return-to-college-basketball.html

I worded it poorly. It's not something the NBA and NBPA have to sign off on; they have to make a change to one of their existing rules before the NCAA will make their rule effective.

"The reason for the discrepancy is because the aforementioned rule change regarding an undrafted player is pending. As the NCAA states: "This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season."

An NCAA spokesperson confirmed that a player must withdraw his name from the draft on May 29 and therefore could not wait for the result of the actual draft. The post-draft rule change is not yet effective.

"If the NBA/NBPA changes the rule that allows for someone who was in the draft but undrafted to be 'called up' at any point in the following year, the NCAA members may allow student-athletes to return if they go undrafted in June," the spokesperson said.

In other words, if the NCAA were to adopt the post-draft rule, given the current NBA rules, nothing would stop a player from leaving school in the middle of the following season to join an NBA team. The NCAA, as stated above, would require the player to finish the college basketball season and re-enter the draft the following year."

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

That’s pretty big. A lot of west coast kids will be able to stay on west coast without having to do down to a mid major

The conference is turrible so they've got to try something I guess.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
This tweet will make someone like Jay Bilas, who is pretty pro-player movement, very unhappy. Coach who is paid switches school and is "immediately available" but unpaid player follows the coach's move and he has to sit out a year.
and he wouldn't be wrong.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...player-cant-return-to-college-basketball.html

I worded it poorly. It's not something the NBA and NBPA have to sign off on; they have to make a change to one of their existing rules.

"The reason for the discrepancy is because the aforementioned rule change regarding an undrafted player is pending. As the NCAA states: "This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season."

An NCAA spokesperson confirmed that a player must withdraw his name from the draft on May 29 and therefore could not wait for the result of the actual draft. The post-draft rule change is not yet effective.

"If the NBA/NBPA changes the rule that allows for someone who was in the draft but undrafted to be 'called up' at any point in the following year, the NCAA members may allow student-athletes to return if they go undrafted in June," the spokesperson said.

In other words, if the NCAA were to adopt the post-draft rule, given the current NBA rules, nothing would stop a player from leaving school in the middle of the following season to join an NBA team. The NCAA, as stated above, would require the player to finish the college basketball season and re-enter the draft the following year."
Thanks for the info!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Wonder what would happen if they just decided to get rid of declaring for the draft and just drafted players and if the player decides to stay in achool that team owned his rights. Isn’t that kind of how baseball does it?

Reactions: bozclone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Wonder what would happen if they just decided to get rid of declaring for the draft and just drafted players and if the player decides to stay in achool that team owned his rights. Isn’t that kind of how baseball does it?

I wasn't alive, but didn't something similar happen to Bird.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
In one of his incoherent ramblings on the Cyclone Insiders podcast last night Randy threw out the idea that Lindell could transfer.

Randy's on it! His next take will have LW trying out at slot receiver for CMC.

• Funny
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Solid troll work on his part.

I don’t even think he was trolling, he’s just that dumb. Listening to him talk about THT earlier in the pod, he felt he was entitled to answers about the Wal Mart incident and was upset THT didn’t want to give him any quotes. While THT may be immature he’s not required to give Randy or Hines any insight or quotes to run with.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don’t even think he was trolling, he’s just that dumb. Listening to him talk about THT earlier in the pod, he felt he was entitled to answers about the Wal Mart incident and was upset THT didn’t want to give him any quotes. While THT may be immature he’s not required to give Randy or Hines any insight or quotes to run with.

I think it's a little bit of both. He's kind of an idiot and a pot stirrer to boot. I think he likes trying to get the fanbase riled up.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and Messi

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

THT went out of his way to ignore Randy at the combine if you watch his media interviews. It was great

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
THT went out of his way to ignore Randy at the combine if you watch his media interviews. It was great

I think most people in central Iowa media and athletics know Randy is a ******* but put up with him out of “Iowa niceness” so it’s refreshing to see someone not put up with his senile ass.