***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I’m of the opinion you take Bolton now and welcome wigs back if he wants. That’d give you a nice rotation of TH, Nixon, wigs, and Bolton to split up the minutes between three spots. That gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 minutes apiece with leftovers for the other guys (unless they prove worthy). It likely won’t happen as I would imagine LW is gone but that’d be a dream scenario. That team would be stout.

For anyone speculating on this - please also mention whose scholarship you are pulling since we would be one over the limit.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Or not. No reason to single one of our players out (though calling some of them expendable is a bit douchey).

I agree on this - I just wanted to make the point that it is easy to say take them both but the reality is CSP has to think about that next step and from what I have seen from him, he is a very fair man and would not put one of the current members of the team in that situation of looking for a new home at this point. Therefore I believe there is only one spot available either way.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I agree on this - I just wanted to make the point that it is easy to say take them both but the reality is CSP has to think about that next step and from what I have seen from him, he is a very fair man and would not put one of the current members of the team in that situation of looking for a new home at this point. Therefore I believe there is only one spot available either way.

You’re correct that he’s the one that has to make those decisions however there’s nothing wrong with someone noting what they think would be an ideal scenario without specifically calling out an existing player (which is what I did). Can’t fault a man for having an opinion and stating it.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Ncaa needs to
Come up with a new rule for stuff like this. Like if a kid puts his name in the draft you are awarded an extra scholarship if he decides to come back. Just a one year scholarship.

That is just stupid. You could have your entire team enter the draft and come back if that’s the case.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That is just stupid. You could have your entire team enter the draft and come back if that’s the case.

No I said just one scholarship. Not five for the whole team. It would not be a big blue blood thing. It would help schools like Iowa State, Minnesota and so on. The blue bloods already have enough talent. Teams like ours could bring back a player that didn’t make it. Im not talking everyone that goes to the draft you get an extra scholly. Just one per team.

• Funny
Reactions: isu83

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
No I said just one scholarship. Not five for the whole team. It would not be a big blue blood thing. It would help schools like Iowa State, Minnesota and so on. The blue bloods already have enough talent. Teams like ours could bring back a player that didn’t make it. Im not talking everyone that goes to the draft you get an extra scholly. Just one per team.

Then every team could send their best player to the draft even (if they obviously wouldn't be drafted) just to get an extra scholarship for the next year.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Then every team could send their best player to the draft even (if they obviously wouldn't be drafted) just to get an extra scholarship for the next year.

Which is exactly what every team is doing anyway. This at least gives a coach a way to plan for it. We could take a Bolton and if Wggs decided to come back we could give him a scholarship for the year

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Which is exactly what every team is doing anyway. This at least gives a coach a way to plan for it. We could take a Bolton and if Wggs decided to come back we could give him a scholarship for the year

What? There isn't a special "pro" extra scholarship so now sure how that is what "every team is doing"? Prohm will be able to plan for his roster on May 29 (assuming he isn't sure on LW's plans right now).

Your hypothetical would mean all teams would get a 14th scholarship. I'd argue it hurt ISU because the North Carolina/s and Kentucky's would get a 14th scholarship too likely filling them with high level talent thus thinning the available players available.

I am pretty confident that Prohm would take Bolton today if he wanted to commit. I assume Bolton will want to see if LW returns and what his playing time would be. Having him wait until after the draft to see in your scenario would prolong his decision and hurt ISU's chances.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
There's 13 scholarships, that's plenty. The draft and transfers have changed the spring recruiting landscape, but there's still 13 scholarships available to teams that normally only play 8-9. The coaches are paid handsomely to figure it out, and more importantly, get it right.