***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Not buying the Bolton silent commit theory.

Our biggest 2019/20 need is an immediate transfer wing scorer. But even if Bolton is ineligible next season, I take him without hesitation. IMO he would be on par with any high school PG recruit we would sign next fall. Plus he has the added advantage of practicing with the team during his redshirt year.

I view Bolton as a natural successor to Nixon competing with Jackson & Grill to be starting guard next the Halliburton in 2020/21. It would also allow the staff to focus on signing a couple post players in this falls class as the eventual successors for Jacobson & Young.
You mean Xavier Foster and Jaylin Williams? Fingers crossed for these two guys!

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If we sign someone and Lindell decides to return, a roster spot will magically open. We made an opening for DeAndre Kane and we would do it for Wigginton.

Well...Fred made room for Kane, but who would possibly know if CSP would go that route? (Just asking, not implying.) I must be of the minority who thinks Prohm is just being transparent that we need a scorer yet, LW is not returning, and at any time going forward we need a perimeter scorer to be found yet in that spot.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
This is going to get really interesting if we don’t hear any new names next week. The longer this goes on with Bolton not taking anymore visits and ISU not being connected to anyone new, the more ill feel (and hope) it’s Bolton.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
This is going to get really interesting if we don’t hear any new names next week. The longer this goes on with Bolton not taking anymore visits and ISU not being connected to anyone new, the more ill feel (and hope) it’s Bolton.

It'll be an interesting next two weeks. With the draft entry deadline May 29th there are a lot of coaches/players in limbo on what they do depending the decision of many players staying in or pulling their name out of the draft. At this point many players could be waiting on decisions to return to their school or transfer to a school based on those decisions. We'll have a lot more clarity May 30 on the targets and scholly's available.

Bolton for instance could be simply waiting for LW announcement to decide to come to Ames as much as Prohm is. It wouldn't be prudent to commit with expectations of playing time to only learn he lost it two weeks later if LW returned as unlikely as it seems today. Same situation for other potential grad transfers.

I wouldn't read to much into Bolton not "visiting" other schools. His visit to Cinci wasn't known until he was almost on campus and we weren't even aware of him visiting Ames until the week of. Rasir seems to be keeping his recruitment close to the vest. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we learn he is on another visit to school this weekend.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
It'll be an interesting next two weeks. With the draft entry deadline May 29th there are a lot of coaches/players in limbo on what they do depending the decision of many players staying in or pulling their name out of the draft. At this point many players could be waiting on decisions to return to their school or transfer to a school based on those decisions. We'll have a lot more clarity May 30 on the targets and scholly's available.

Bolton for instance could be simply waiting for LW announcement to decide to come to Ames as much as Prohm is. It wouldn't be prudent to commit with expectations of playing time to only learn he lost it two weeks later if LW returned as unlikely as it seems today. Same situation for other potential grad transfers.

I wouldn't read to much into Bolton not "visiting" other schools. His visit to Cinci wasn't known until he was almost on campus and we weren't even aware of him visiting Ames until the week of. Rasir seems to be keeping his recruitment close to the vest. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we learn he is on another visit to school this weekend.

I don't see why Bolton would be "waiting on LW's announcement" because Halstead's tweet specifically asked CSP if they had to wait for the May29th deadline to add another player. He said, "no". jmo

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Not buying the Bolton silent commit theory.

Our biggest 2019/20 need is an immediate transfer wing scorer. But even if Bolton is ineligible next season, I take him without hesitation. IMO he would be on par with any high school PG recruit we would sign next fall. Plus he has the added advantage of practicing with the team during his redshirt year.

I view Bolton as a natural successor to Nixon competing with Jackson & Grill to be starting guard next the Halliburton in 2020/21. It would also allow the staff to focus on signing a couple post players in this falls class as the eventual successors for Jacobson & Young.

Prohm literally just said we need a scoring guard. As someone else mentioned, Haliburton's defensive versatility at 6'5" means we can go after a guard or forward.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Weiler-Babb definitely attacked the rim more than people give him credit for. Wigginton also has limited decision making skills.

Not really. When he was healthy at the beginning of the season he could get the corner on the left side of the lane. Once he lost his explosion, he couldn't even do that. NWB was a solid PG, but not a player that takes you from good to really good.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
it will be a scoring guard.. we don’t need a forward at all..

We just need a perimeter player that can score, if thats a guard great, if its a SF, great. Tyrese gives us that versatility because he can guard a smaller player if we bring in a SF type and he can guard bigger wings if we bring in a smaller combo guard. Having a guy like Tyrese gives Prohm a wider variety of options, he doesn't have to lock in on one specific position. Just get the best guy, its not like offensively, 2-4 are much different in Prohm's system anyway.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Obviously it wouldn't matter to Prohm but it sure would to Bolton.

Because of possible playing time, you mean? I just meant that if the two parties were a fit, it didn't sound like Prohm would wait for May 29th.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
It does seem like something is missing when trying to piece together the clues. Bolton's waiver probability or possibly there's a grad transfer who hasn't even announced yet.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Because of possible playing time, you mean? I just meant that if the two parties were a fit, it didn't sound like Prohm would wait for May 29th.

Right, Bolton wouldn't want to commit only to have LW decide to come back and take his minutes. He only has to wait 12 days to know for sure what LW decision will be (maybe sooner) and know his role. there isn't much of a downside to waiting for a final decision for either Bolton and Prohm. If we don't see any visits set by ISU or Bolton over the next two weeks we may have the reason why.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Right, Bolton wouldn't want to commit only to have LW decide to come back and take his minutes. He only has to wait 12 days to know for sure what LW decision will be (maybe sooner) and know his role. there isn't much of a downside to waiting for a final decision for either Bolton and Prohm. If we don't see any visits set by ISU or Bolton over the next two weeks we may have the reason why.

That is a compelling theory for us, maybe most of all because it is soothing.

Knowing we *at least* end up with Bolton or Wigginton feels pretty nice.

Assuming it is true, of course. Bolton must really want Prohm and Iowa State. You figure he can land softly many places if Wigginton ends up coming back, though.

Again -- assuming the theory is true and Bolton is not just still weighing options.

Reactions: Doc

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

So out of curiosity and for fun, if we do see another visit next week by a grad transfer and/or Bolton visiting a couple other places, is the reverse (him not coming) thought to be automatically true? I don’t buy the ‘wait on the waiver theory’ by some cuz it takes the NCAA too long to decide those things. I guess it boils down to none of our speculating is worth a whole lot right now. Lol But hey, guess that’s what message boards are for. Some will claim they knew all along when it’s all over, others will bash those who were wrong with their theories, some will say Prohm planned it all this way, and some will blame Fred (just joking). Gotta love spring recruiting...

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I’m of the opinion you take Bolton now and welcome wigs back if he wants. That’d give you a nice rotation of TH, Nixon, wigs, and Bolton to split up the minutes between three spots. That gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 minutes apiece with leftovers for the other guys (unless they prove worthy). It likely won’t happen as I would imagine LW is gone but that’d be a dream scenario. That team would be stout.

Reactions: Doc

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Sorry in advance but in the ‘just for fun’ category, what % of CF posters do you think believe LW has already closed the book on the option of coming back? 25%, 50%..? My guess is 75% of us thinks he’s already decided he won’t come back. (But I guess there is the fact he hasn’t publicly announced it like some entrants have)

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Sorry in advance but in the ‘just for fun’ category, what % of CF posters do you think believe LW has already closed the book on the option of coming back? 25%, 50%..? My guess is 75% of us thinks he’s already decided he won’t come back. (But I guess there is the fact he hasn’t publicly announced it like some entrants have)
Just offered s JUCO guard out of John Logan JC. Jayden Scruggs. Change any bodies thinking on Bolton? Sounds like a pretty good player.

Help Support Us

Become a patron