***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I like it. Subtly putting LW's feet to the fire if he's even entertaining the idea of withdrawing from the draft - "If there's still a spot for you we're happy to have you back, but we're not waiting on you either."

I still think LW withdrawing is an extremely long shot but something that has to be considered.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Terrance J

May 10, 2019
I've looked at other blogs and twitter feeds for anything on ISU transfers and not seeing anything. The ones being discussed on this thread....Neb. / Tx. Tch are the same ones being discussed on other threads. Can't discuss something that's not happening.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I know Fred and Matt are big on transfers but at this point it just seems like they are taking anyone to fill out a roster next season. I would think with all the hype he got going to Nebraska he would be in on some better kids, even better freshman that Matt was recruiting at St. Johns. This one is a head scratcher.

Bringing in a guy like Walker is not surprising. Fred is building the best roster he can for 2019/20- from scholarship 1 to 13. He is creating competition for playing time next year, but also making sure he has practice depth.

Obviously Walker has some ability as he previously played at Tennessee and Rick Barnes saw something in his ability. If he develops great, if not he will be pushed aside and they will sign a transfer or JUCO next spring. Banking scholarships is not an option at this point.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: Shyzkoff and jbindm

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I like it. Subtly putting LW's feet to the fire if he's even entertaining the idea of withdrawing from the draft - "If there's still a spot for you we're happy to have you back, but we're not waiting on you either."

I still think LW withdrawing is an extremely long shot but something that has to be considered.

Or perhaps his answer reflects that he already knows LW isn’t open to a return, thus they can sign one any time.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If we sign someone and Lindell decides to return, a roster spot will magically open. We made an opening for DeAndre Kane and we would do it for Wigginton.

Yeah, the idea the door closes is pretty silly.

I doubt he is coming back through it, even if I think you can make a good case it is the smart play for his career, but I really do not think he is coming back.

Somebody would get "re-homed" somehow if that went down.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If we sign someone and Lindell decides to return, a roster spot will magically open. We made an opening for DeAndre Kane and we would do it for Wigginton.

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw Prohm say that. What's better than adding one guard scorer? Adding two guard scorers.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I'm fully convinced that Prohm knows we're getting a scoring guard that can play immediately now. He's said twice now that if we can get a scoring guard that can play right away, he would feel good about this coming season.

He would definitely not say that unless he knew he had one coming. Because if he doesn't land one now, he's saying this year won't be any good, which you would never say publicly.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I think by “we’ve got one” he is referring to an open scholarship. As someone already mentioned earlier in the thread the “if we do that” part is the most suspect because he’d be setting himself up for people to point out the one thing that didn’t get done i.e. landing an immediate impact transfer. My guess is Bolton although I’d feel better if I knew the details of the potential waiver.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He’s let slip twice now that they have someone, which I don’t think is normal.

Arguments pro that we have somebody --

-- Prohm was pretty specific, you are right, so many he is tipping his hand.
-- We have heard nothing about Bolton since he visited... Maybe he offered a silent commitment and we are just waiting on some NCAA stuff with him?
-- Wigginton has not done well in the NBA workouts, so maybe he is reconsidering?

Arguments against that we have somebody --

-- He could just be referring to the open scholarship to fill.
-- When was the last time we had a silent, secret commitment? Talley?
-- Is there anybody out there with any smoke on them besides Bolton or Wigginton?
-- Any idiot can see the roster needs a scoring wing. Prohm is stating the obvious.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Arguments pro that we have somebody --

-- Prohm was pretty specific, you are right, so many he is tipping his hand.
-- We have heard nothing about Bolton since he visited... Maybe he offered a silent commitment and we are just waiting on some NCAA stuff with him?
-- Wigginton has not done well in the NBA workouts, so maybe he is reconsidering?

Arguments against that we have somebody --

-- He could just be referring to the open scholarship to fill.
-- When was the last time we had a silent, secret commitment? Talley?
-- Is there anybody out there with any smoke on them besides Bolton or Wigginton?
-- Any idiot can see the roster needs a scoring wing. Prohm is stating the obvious.

We also haven’t been mentioned with anybody new this week, have we? I think that’s a pro.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not buying the Bolton silent commit theory.

Our biggest 2019/20 need is an immediate transfer wing scorer. But even if Bolton is ineligible next season, I take him without hesitation. IMO he would be on par with any high school PG recruit we would sign next fall. Plus he has the added advantage of practicing with the team during his redshirt year.

I view Bolton as a natural successor to Nixon competing with Jackson & Grill to be starting guard next the Halliburton in 2020/21. It would also allow the staff to focus on signing a couple post players in this falls class as the eventual successors for Jacobson & Young.

• Agree
Reactions: hoosman and Messi

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Bolton got caught in the perfect storm last weekend on his visit.
First Grill commits very nice HS spring sign.
Then we lose Tucker, top GT target.
Then Johnson commits and we now have a sit out guy but no immediate play transfer and suddenly it does matter if Bolton can get the waiver unless Wiggy comes back or another GT enters the picture.